Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Need help with transmission output shaft seal part number???

Johndeere120 ยท 2021-10-24 15:51

I have a ford l9000 1979 finally got around to fixing the ujoints and other repairs from last year havnt used it much since. Long story short I want to replace my trans output shaft seal while I got the yoke off but the tag on the trans is gone so I have no idea what the model number is... I know it's a 9 speed and I took off the bearing housing on the yoke and the part number reads "14961". Does anyone have any idea what seal I need? I just took it out so if pictures help I can upload them. Any help is appreciated! Also on the bottom back of the trans its stamped "18700".

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-10-24 19:05

    1979-should have a RT12509 transmission which in any case the seal will be the same for several transmission models from that era using the ten spline output shaft.

  2. #2Johndeere1202021-10-25 05:58

    Yes I believe it is a course 10 spline I forgot to count but pretty sure I took some photos. Would you happen to know a part number or website I can track down a part number? I cant seem to one not sure why

  3. #3Johndeere1202021-10-25 08:01

    Looked on eaton but the pdf wont open for me

  4. #4Tones2021-10-25 15:39

    Don't bearing supply shops in your area sell seals as well? Usually seals have a part number on them or remove the seal then measure the width, inside and outside diameters, check if it's single or double lipped. It'll probably be made of viton. I can't remember ever buying seals from a component manufacturers even for hydraulics.

  5. #5Truck Shop2021-10-25 21:31

    Eaton #K2262 with slinger, bearing retainer gasket 15532.

  6. #6Johndeere1202021-10-25 22:09

    Thank you very much! I appreciate it!

  7. #7Johndeere1202021-10-25 22:11

    Good point I'm not sure actually. I looked for a part number but didn't see one on the original.