Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Easy one- Bolt size?

PeterJC · 2025-02-03 12:32

Hi all, I need to reseal my boom cylinder. (2008, Case 580 SM 3). I recently resealed the dipper cylinder and had to buy a 2-1/4 socket to remove the bolt holding the piston on the rod. Can anyone tell me if the bolt on the boom cylinder is the same size? I am thinking of trying an inductive heat gun to heat up the bolt. Has anyone tried that? It will be a lot easier than having my neighbor bring over his acetylene torch. Thanks in advance. P

Replies2
  1. #1HarleyHappy2025-02-04 06:47

    Can’t tell you the bolt size but 2 1/4” sounds familiar. What I can tell you about Case are that their cylinders are all about the ram size. If I remember right my boom was a 2” rod cylinder so that’s going to be a smaller nut as my dipper was a 2 1/2” rod size. I have a 580 SE so they are different. I found it reasonable to just invest in an Amazon 3/4” socket set as sometimes I can get the gland nuts off without heat. The induction heater works awesome though a bit slower than the torch.

  2. #2PeterJC2025-02-04 14:06

    Maybe not so easy. I found a parts diagram that shows the rod on the boom and the dipper are both 2.5". Seemed the boom was bigger but I don't feel like going out and measuring right now. However, the parts diagram shows the bolt for the dipper to be 1 1/2" and the bolt for the boom to be 1 3/8. Both 3.5" long. The boom bolt part number is 86982443. The dipper bolt part number is 86982444. If that is the actual size it looks I will probably need another spendy socket because even though I have multiple sets including 3/4 and 1" drive i won't have the one I need. Nominal [in] Minimum [in] Nominal [in] Minimum [in] Size Nominal (Major) Diameter [in] Width Across Flats Head Height 1/4" 0.2500 7/16"(0.438) 0.425 11/64" 0.150 5/16" 0.3125 1/2"(0.500) 0.484 7/32" 0.195 3/8" 0.3750 9/16"(0.562) 0.544 1/4" 0.226 7/16" 0.4375 5/8"(0.625) 0.603 19/64" 0.272 1/2" 0.5000 3/4"(0.750) 0.725 11/32" 0.302 5/8" 0.6250 15/16"(0.938) 0.906 27/64" 0.378 3/4" 0.7500 1-1/8"(1.125) 1.088 1/2" 0.455 7/8" 0.8750 1-5/16"(1.312) 1.269 37/64" 0.531 1" 1.0000 1-1/2"(1.500) 1.450 43/64" 0.591 1-1/8" 1.1250 1-11/16"(1.688) 1.631 3/4" 0.658 1-1/4" 1.2500 1-7/8"(1.875) 1.812 27/32" 0.749 1-3/8" 1.3750 2-1/16"(2.062) 1.994 29/32" 0.810 1-1/2" 1.5000 2-1/4"(2.250) 2.175 1" 0.902 1-5/8" 1.6250 2-7/16"(2.438) 2.356 1-3/32" 0.978 1-3/4" 1.7500 2-5/8"(2.625) 2.538 1-5/32" 1.054 1-7/8" 1.8750 2-13/16"(2.812) 2.719 1-1/4" 1.130 2" 2.0000 3"(3.000) 2.900 1-11/32" 1.175