Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Eaton 10 speed loose shifter

Philosaw · 2020-05-24 10:33

Hi. I have a 2014 International 4400 with an Eaton 10 speed. Yesterday when I went to move it across our yard, the shifter suddenly had several inches of movement. Before I dig into it, I'd like to know what I'm in for. Anyone have an idea of what a repair like this entails?

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2020-05-24 13:56

    Pull the shift boot and remove the four bolts holding shift tower, check the shift tower for excessive movement and check the shift blocks in the shift bar housing. Plus check to see if isolater in shift lever is tight. Don't lose the detent springs located in shift bar housing that are held inplace by the tower. First places to check.

  2. #2Philosaw2020-05-24 17:37

    Thanks for the info. I’ll especially be watching for the springs!

  3. #3Philosaw2020-05-24 17:53

    Under the boot was a bolt holding the top shaft to the bottom shaft that had backed out. 5 minute repair and feeling stupid for asking before looking. Thanks again Truck Shop!