Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Eaton 9 speed

Dickjr. ยท 2016-06-30 18:45

I have a White GMC Volvo , 93 model with 9 speed . When you put it in 2nd gear if your not careful the shifter will go to the front of the truck past the detent. Is this a major fix or the shifter worn on the bottom? I just bought this a month ago and it was not like that then. I think maybe someone forced it into gear and it went on , who knows.

Replies16
  1. #1Truck Shop2016-06-30 19:06

    The shift lever could be worn out plus the tower. The lever end tang can wear but the dowels in the tower ride in the slots in the lever. They can wear enough to put slop the the lever. Also the shift block on the shift rail could be bad. The only way to know is remove the tower and shift lever. If the shift block is bad you will have to remove the transmission, remove the air slave and lock out pin then unbolt the shift bar housing. And you will need an Eaton diagram of the shift bar housing for disassembly and assembly. While it's open you can inspect the sliding clutches on the main shaft for wear. Truck Shop

  2. #2Dickjr.2016-06-30 19:25

    Thanks , I think. No really I hope I can just replace the shifter. Everything I have has had issues lately about 15 grand worth. Appreciate your time and help.

  3. #3RZucker2016-06-30 20:39

    I'm betting worn out shift tower plus that wonderful isolator has turned its rubber bushing to rubber crumbles. "Velveetas" always have those weird bends in the lever that make them wear the towers in odd places.

  4. #4Truck Shop2016-06-30 21:50

    Velveetas :wink2 Truck Shop

  5. #5RZucker2016-06-30 22:43

    Yeah, stole that term from elsewhere. Seriously though, if you look at the bends in their shift levers there is quite a bit travel wasted twisting the tower stub rather than forward to rear movement. I can't remember for sure, but the '86s I had had around 10" of offset from the floor hole to the center of the trans. Lots of twist there.

  6. #6Truck Shop2016-07-01 07:37

    Agreed- The 2250 Internationals had a goofy shifter that would do the same thing. Truck Shop

  7. #7Dickjr.2016-07-01 14:07

    So I might get away with replacing the shift tower then. That would be great and economical as well. BTW I like velveeta on brussell sprouts and other veggies. One question , where would I find the shift tower rebuilt or new , I am guessing a trip to Volvo?

  8. #8RZucker2016-07-01 14:43

    I would get the tower and stick with isolator from Volvo as a set and be done with it. Order by your VIN and it should be a bolt in. Trying to get a weld on isolator lined up in those trucks is a pita. Seemed like the last I did took 3 tries to get tacked up before the stick stopped hitting the floor.

  9. #9lantraxco2016-07-01 14:44

    Eaton box, you should be able to get the tower anywhere I would think... Or am I dreaming? LOL

  10. #10RZucker2016-07-01 19:20

    That may be true, But in my area the dealers are the only access to Fuller anyway. And I want my iron making money, not sitting in the yard. Spending a couple hours trying to save 30 bucks doesn't do it for me. The dealer had the right stuff the next day and we were burning diesel again. More than once in different cases.

  11. #11Truck Shop2016-07-01 19:52

    You can buy the tower by it's self. But as Zucker states you need to go by vin#. Eaton services with three different set-ups as assembled units. Tower with lever installed. The difference is in the length of the lever from top of tower to isolator position. All most all Eaton/Fuller numbers start with FUL-430----. I am guessing the replacement number will be a 4301167 as a unit. Truck Shop

  12. #12RZucker2016-07-01 20:30

    I was thinking the 3 different towers differed in the length from the pivot point to the shift "finger"... I.E. taller tower equals shorter throw on the stick depending on how long the stick had to be for certain makes of trucks. I remember old White compact COEs that used a lever that was nearly six feet long. Good bump shifters by the way, they hated rough roads.

  13. #13lantraxco2016-07-01 21:28

    Cabovers were always messy because the shifter mounted to the cab which floated off the frame and the transmission floated with the engine. Some pretty crappy designs on the linkage too because they had to pivot or disconnect when the cab tilted forward for service.

  14. #14RZucker2016-07-01 22:27

    Um, no, These had old C-180 cummins engines with blowers and RT510 transmissions. And I kid you not the shifter was a long solid rod from the trans to the cab. You had to be really careful tilting them or you would wipe the air lines off the shifter. I do have plenty of cabover "linkage" experience... These trucks had none.

  15. #15Dickjr.2016-07-01 23:07

    What would this assembly cost if any one knows?

  16. #16lantraxco2016-07-02 00:29

    Okay, I remember the little Whites now, we almost bought one but then ended up with a KW... the little guy would not have lived long as it turned out, lol.