Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ECM Repair Shops

RobertJ · 2023-12-27 13:20

Has anyone had an ECM repaired? A quick google search shows at least a few places that can repair an ECM so I'm trying to decide if that would be a better option than ordering one from cummins. ECM is off of a 2005 ISM. Thanks.

Replies17
  1. #1Greatwestcam2023-12-30 19:47

    A guy I work with just had an ecm repaired/rebuilt for a tractor with a N-14 in it, the injector drivers failed. Just got it back, cost just over $1000. ca . they are a us company with a web site, didn't get their name, sorry.

  2. #2crane operator2023-12-30 21:49

    I had one repaired off a cummins M11, probably 10 years ago. Cost was like $500 at the time, and a new ecm was around $2,500 if I remember correctly. Plus cummins wanted another $300 bucks to hook it to their computer and set it.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2023-12-31 02:55

    There needs to be some kind of repository on shops that can do this and are good at it. Very important thing to have available nowadays.

  4. #4Vetech632023-12-31 08:45

    There used to be a guy on this frum that said he could repair them. I don't remember his screen name, but it started with an L I think.

  5. #556wrench2023-12-31 10:13

    Also needs to be a source to repair the ECM for those Ford Industrial little LRG425 gas engines

  6. #6Delmer2023-12-31 23:41

    unfortunately he hasn't been on since 2020, not sure how I copied it this way. [IMG alt="laycobeau"]HeavyEquipmentForums Report laycobeau​

  7. #763 caveman2024-01-01 06:41

    I,ve used this shop https://truckecm.com/dallas/ Fast turnaround, reasonable price, and no problems. Very pleased with their sevicess would use them again.

  8. #8Vetech632024-01-01 07:42

    Yep, that's him.

  9. #9fastline2024-01-04 11:13

    I do board level repairs and would be curious if you guys have pics of the inside of these ECMs? The last one I worked on was a Ford and it certainly was designed to be a throw away.. Massive PITA. Are the injector drivers what are typically failing? I know on the old GM 6.5, the PMD was quite a gift giver. Heat and electronics don't play well together, yet OEMs continue to combine them.

  10. #10RobertJ2024-01-05 21:20

    I just sent the ECM off to truckecm.com in Dallas. I'll report back with how they do. I was really tempted to open up the ecm and have a look inside myself, but in the end I decided I don't trust myself enough to not break something. I suspect that this ecm has a power delivery issue because last year it had a loose connection at the starter that caused a few issues. Its a spare that only gets used once in a while, worked fine a couple weeks prior then just wouldn't start when we needed it. I really thought mice got into the harness somewhere but there were no signs of them anywhere.

  11. #1163 caveman2024-01-06 06:37

    "I suspect that this ecm has a power delivery issue because last year it had a loose connection at the starter that caused a few issues. Its a spare that only gets used once in a while, worked fine a couple weeks prior then just wouldn't start when we needed it. I really thought mice got into the harness somewhere but there were no signs of them anywhere." Hopefully you checked to make sure you had power and grounds getting to the ECM. No matter I believe if that shop checks it out and finds no problem the charge will be minamale and you will know you have a harness problem.

  12. #12RobertJ2024-02-06 21:47

    Its been a while but I'm back to update. Truckecm verified that the ecm had no communication. They said they suspected it was the memory chip, but they didn't have any to replace it, and there was no guarentee that there weren't other issues with it. I ended up going with a tested good used ecm from them. They wouldn't accept my dead ecm as a core, all in it was slightly cheaper than getting a reman from cummins. The ecm they sent has a broken clip to secure the 4pin power connector, I wasn't happy about it but I secured the plug another way and made it work. Truck is now back up and running. I wish I knew for sure what killed the previous ecm just for my peace of mind. Since I got the original ecm back I opened it up and took a pic inside for those that are curious.

  13. #13fastline2024-02-07 01:02

    I don't know the full story but if you did not damage that board, I would be 100% PISSED! Because the damage I spotted is physical, not electrical, and could never happen in the truck. If you didn't do that, I would be calling them and tell them your EE just spotted a huge issue...... Appears they either dropped it or something fell on it.

  14. #1463 caveman2024-02-07 06:22

    fastline, You have a good eye! RobertJ, Glad your outfit is back running, Sorry you did not have the same satisfactory experience as I using there services.

  15. #15RobertJ2024-02-07 15:16

    I'm pretty sure that was from me prying it open, the grey silicone was their doing and excessive in my opinion. I had a hell of a time getting it opened up to look inside.

  16. #16kshansen2024-02-07 19:29

    All I can say is I'm glade I got out of the business back in 2015! There were ECM's at that time but lucky I never had one fail.

  17. #17Birken Vogt2024-02-08 10:13

    It's amazing they don't fail more often, as many parts as inside and a lot of them high power electronics driving some thing or other directly.