As much as I hate the idea....we don't have an option for a few of our rigs. Of all the people in trucking or who run them and have to use Electronic Logging Devices which system do you use? Pros? Cons? I've been delegated the task of determining who has to use them and what system to use. There are a lot of options and like anything some are junk, some are fair and there's most likely one that's perfect for our operation. Any and all feedback is welcome.
We use Qualcomm, very trouble free. Truck Shop
I was hoping you'd chime in. Man it's crazy how many options there are. We truck just enough to make things a pain in the rump. Tough part is based on my understanding most of our pickups are required too....then again there are a lot of guys that would qualify for the 8/30 exemption.... Best I can tell there are a half dozen apportioned trucks that need them and about the same in pickups. Ugh
Had that argument as to pickups with my old boss. He said since was not Licensed Commercial did not need CDL, turns out Brownshirt stopped one pickup within five miles of the plant, operator had to call somebody to come get him at scene as no CDL(minimum was a Class C for this) as had a box of "Hazmat"(valve stem lube) in the back, our work supplies qualified due to quantity and was licensed as a Company registered/labeled work truck with a weight tag. Company looked into it, ANY Company owned Vehicle used for Company Business will have a minimum Class C licensed operator in it per MO SHP. We exempted for logging as the machines never left the 5 mile limit unless a Plant Helper(CDL Class B) was picking up or delivering materials to/from vendors, he had to carry a logbook there after
I've heard some good things about the VDO RoadLog, no subscription & pretty simple. Make sure whatever you get is on the FMCSA's "self certify" list. My KW is a 2000, but 2WS with a build date of 11/99 so it's exempt from the ELD mandate so I really haven't researched it much, just what I've heard. I would have fought the getting popped for hazmat with valve stem lube, though anyone that hauls equipment needs to have 'CL 9 NB HazMat' box checked on their MCS-150 (machine batteries, oil, fuel). Not required to be placarded so don't have to go by hazmat regs or have the endorsement.
I heard a rumour from corporate that we will likely be going down this route in the near future. Not sure exactly what Canuckistan's stance is on ELD's at the moment but I would assume it a safe bet that it'll happen.
So far the smart phone based omnitracs is what I like best. Still have a bunch to look into. My haul truck is a few months too new to be exempt. Dammit. It's a 2013 glider, motor built early 2000. Smh. I've been feeling the guys out as I check each operators truck for gvwr. Not gonna be pretty!
Is there a gvw limit on the eld mandate? I've been thinking I'm exempt, my western star is a 98 and everything else is older. I've got a 2000 f-450 and a 2001 dodge- 3500, and honestly never thought about either of them.
10,001 is where it becomes mandatory. However, there is still the short haul exemption and also if you don't leave the 100 mile radius more than 8 out of every 30 days you don't have to run them. So I would think you'd be good without them.
thanks
And that is gross vehicle weight. Don't matter what you actually weigh. Shortly before I retired our equipment supt went through a scale while delivering a new 3/4 ton pickup(9300 GVW) with a new 3,000 lb enclosed trailer to a job in S.D. They nailed him for a half dozen infractions both intrastate and interstate and we all had to go to school because of it. Got a whole bunch of pickups with DOT numbers on them now to. Pull a welder or a air compressor with a 3/4 ton pickup and you are in violation if it is deemed commercial.
Yes sir they seem to have closed up just about every loophole there is. Just the as built gvwr of the truck will put you into the ELD zone. I've looked at it from every angle and my advice to the boss was every single truck and driver does it. Too much to keep track of otherwise. Most of them won't like it but such is life. We're all playin with the same fubar'd rules!
We do things a bit different up here. Normally if you operate strictly in one province and within a 150 km radius of your home base, logs are exempt. Last company I worked for was federally registered so even though we rarely drove more than 40 km from town, we still had to run log books and had to cross the scales. Even in a SRW 3500 pickup truck.
Problem with the lubricant was three CASES, to go into a Hazmat locker at a remote building. The case boxes had Hazard labels installed by the company store room keepers as followed Company guidelines. Brownshirt saw the label, in excess of five gallons and wrote the ticket holding the truck until a HM Licensee(me) could drive it away. Have had a Class A with HM since first issued over the old Chauffer's licenses of the past. Just have to keep passing the tests.
What I use is a paper log with a phone charger glued to the back. When the trooper stops you and asks to see your ELD, point to it. If the trooper has a sense of humor, you won't need bail money.