I know that the run for the White House is a long process compared to the Prime Minister's office. I have never followed the run for governor. But here is how quick the premiere can change. The premiere of Alberta called an election today, and people will be going to the polls in less than a month.
You dont know what your missing with a 3 ring circus of 24 hour a day news coverage for 2 years trying to exaun what the politicians are really trying to tell you
None of that matters here in America. It's all about the Russians, tax documents and who's hoo-hoo got grabbed. In the end , we accidentally got the right guy. Someone who doesn't care who he pi$$es off and doesn't owe anybody squat.
Its amazing what happens when you take the politicians out of the polotics
It's long process but that's how it should be . Really more like a drawn out Basketball tournament . And the line up for 2020 so far … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries#Candidates Gonna be a wild set of games along the way . To early to call anything .
I did a driveway for a couple from New Hampshire when Trump was going for the nomination. They have a nice little camp on the river here. They are both retired, and spend their summers here. It was a Saturday, so they invited me in for lunch and the discussion turned to politics. He said as many years as he'd been coming here, he still couldn't get over how quick our elections came and went
A three ring circus it is, in more ways than one. Let's not forget that the majority of states have electronic ballots. "He who votes decides nothing, he who counts the votes decides everything" Josef Djugashvili Stalin.
Been looking forward to this day for 3.5 years.
I'll agree with the first part, but I bet I could find 235 members of the House that don't believe the second part, and just might let us see the tax returns as evidence. No need to ever wait for the circus, it's all year every year.
The Alberta election will be interesting. Current premier got in on a protest vote more than her own merits. Former gov't. did have a lot of %$#@*! ups and a sense of entitlement. A lot of people want the premier gone but the most likely party to do that has a kind of slim shady leader and now there's leaked e-mails that there was a plan with another supposed leadership candidate to help him get the leadership position over another strong candidate. The premier already grasping at straws now has more ammunition and wants a police investigation. Then there's the federal election coming later in the year... that's an even bigger can of worms with Prime Minister Selfie. Normally you'd want popcorn for this kind of drama but Alberta which has carried the rest of Canada for decades because of its resources is really hurting and if the same people get back in, it's only going to make things worse. Over 100,000 lost jobs in the oil patch in the last few years and Ottawa could care less and the Alberta Premier only slightly more concerned. 80 million dollars a day in lost revenue because we don't have enough pipeline capacity to get our oil to market. Federal election is usually decided before it even gets to votes in the West. Might need some whiskey instead of popcorn to numb yourself or maybe some legal cannabis. LoL
Personally I think we should elect using a caged death match process but that’s just me...it would be a lot more entertaining
Oh, what the heck, this one will prolly be pulled soon, here's my $.02... Kinda like pullin a never-ending elm splinter outta your eye... You'll want a general for this... AND... Resurrected Che Guevara Announces 2020 Run, Democrats Quickly Criticize As 'Too Moderate' March 19th, 2019 37.6kSHARE 5kSHARE SHARE SANTA CLARA, CUBA—Is Marxist revolutionary Che Guevara too moderate for a 2020 run as a Democrat? That's the question the left is asking after Guevara was resurrected by a leftist political action committee, Marxists for Equality, Socialism, and Stalinism. MESS activists arrived in Santa Clara earlier this week and summoned Guevara's spirit back from the dead using dark, demonic rituals, which are well-known to many Democrats. MESS then hastily photoshopped a birth certificate for Zombie Guevara so he would be eligible to run for president of the United States. Guevara announced his run but was quickly denounced by many of his fellow candidates and other prominent Democrats. "I'm just not sure Guevara is far enough left to be a viable Democratic candidate this election," said one political pundit on CNN. "He's really a centrist in the midst of this field of radical leftists, and we just don't think he's going to stand out this time." Democrats pointed out that while Guevara was a mass murderer, he really needs to specifically come out as allowing murder up to and including the moment of birth if he's going to be accepted as a mainstream Democratic candidate. They also demonstrated that his brand of totalitarianist terror was a fine starting point, but he needs to show his willingness to silence anyone who even seems to slightly disagree with the left if he's going to get any traction. "I just looked up the Wikipedia article on Che," Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tweeted while she was supposed to be working. "I don't see anything about him addressing climate change and wanting to destroy an entire economy based on wild-eyed apocalyptic predictions. I might have to throw away my Guevara T-shirts, to be honest." Reached for comment on Guevara's official run, Bernie Sanders simply began ranting incoherently about how many flavors of Doritos there are at his local grocery store. Source: Babylon Bee
We would like to have your oil here in New Brunswick at the refinery in Saint John, but those that take the most in government hand-outs, don't want an English pipeline. Perhaps you could pipeline it to Cornwall, then ship it by rail to us
I suppose the biggest difference between the two countries might be where the news comes from. How many people develop their opinions based on social media? How many get their news from questionable sources that may be coming from other countries trying to sow discord in politics? How many actually check out some of the rot that is being pitched from the purported news networks? This person did this, that person did that. He said, they said, she said, they did this, they did that. It is all starting to sound like play ground antics and bullying tactics practiced by third graders. Facts are what decisions should be based on. Speculation and opinion should have no place with actual news organizations. The population of both countries are making decisions affecting our futures based on propaganda that is easily exposed and refuted but are caught in the webs of what we want to hear.
About 7 people control 98% of the mass media in the world. Often, one person controls left and right wing media, divide and conquer, play both sides against the middle...class. ALL sources are questionable. Mass media has the power of suggestion, the power of scrutiny, the power of censorship the power of repetition and the power of smear. Elected officials are powerless in comparison.
Exactly. I have to constantly check my 84 year old mother. She reads those satire sites all the time. She called me once to tell me that Trump was going to build a wall between Maine and New Brunswick because of a bad experience he had in Saint John. You really have to sift through all the bull to get the facts.
I quit listening and watching to the news years ago. Its always bad so what's the point. I don't do social media so I don't get riled up over the latest bs. The only way I know any of what goes on day to day is because someone else near me is talking about it , or someone asks me if I heard something they did. I will watch political debates at election time until the real BS starts, by that point I have already made up my mind as to whom I will vote for. It amazes me how much calmer and hopeful I feel when the news is ignored and I make my own decisions as to what I believe to be right and just.
Good point Dave . Then on the other hand with a long drawn out election process like we have in the USA … This is like the " Big Game " ending the political season . Indianapolis 500 & Super Bowl wrapped up in one big finale . Only gonna be one winner . I cant imagine just the economic impact on the country having a long election build up ? We talking big sales on pizza , potato chips , barley soda , hot wings , flags , bumper stickers & so on . I love it !
And those 235 house members won't push the issue as they don't want everyone looking at there tax returns .
And most of them have owed back taxes for a long time and probably don't intend on paying....I know what happens if I don't want to pay my share so these guys must be exempt... ???
I’m right there with ya. I glance at headlines on a couple sites. Maybe read about a particular issue in a couple places and take the two sides, sift through the fertilizer and form an opinion on the matter. I don’t do it often. Maybe every 3-4 days. I can’t stand the BS but don’t want to be uninformed either.
If it isn't happening in the 10 foot bubble around me, I tend to not care lol.
Not caring is the problem. Not caring brought in Obama care which meant $20,000 a year health insurance premiums. Not caring brought us someone wanting to spend eight plus billion dollars on a wall that accomplishes nothing but taking away money for necessary items. Not caring is what keeps career politicians in place in national government who most of us believe care more about feeding at the public trough than doing what they were sent to DC to accomplish in the first place. What the super rich of the US hate is an informed electorate. If anything in social media affected the one percent do you think those companies would still be in business? As long as it confuses us in the blue collar masses and makes enough of us not care to study the issues, look into the past records of potential candidates and check the facts when they come out with blatant lies, the super rich will be on board with social media and we will deserve what we get.
Obamacare was forced on us the eight billion, could be spent elsewhere and is on illegals that flood this country by the thousands. Want to start anywhere how about enforcing the laws we currently have, term limits on politicians and hold the media accountable for what they report, then I think the American people will start to care. Glad I unplugged my TV 17 years ago, just reading these posts makes my head spin. Just read bumper stickers and signs down the highway and I can guess the current president.
I treat it like scoring ice skating... throw out the highs and lows because the real answer is probably in the middle of the pack.
Well, I am of the crowd that caring doesn't do any good. Politicians are professional liars...…...they say what they want to get elected then once in office they just do what they want. The only time they even attempt to look like they care about the people who elected them is when the next election comes around. Politics should have never been allowed to be a career...……...yes I support terms limits for ALL of them 1000%. Politicians get away with murder having the ability to pass laws on the rest of us that don't apply to them. In order to see what is in a healthcare bill we have to pass it first!?? That's downright criminal and they do it without any regard to the voting public. Building a wall accomplishes nothing!? Money for necessary items is being spent taking care of illegal immigrants flooding into this country because there is no boundary. We have ways to immigrate here legally but most don't elect to do so. I'm all ears for another solution that will work, but the only other option I have heard is to just open up the borders and start taking care of everybody that shows up which makes no sense at all when this country is already financially stressed. Like our current president or not, he has done more for this country than the last 5 presidents combined. He wasn't put in office to be popular...……...he was put in to fight the establishment that has corrupted the government. I am a proud supporter of the current president and proud to be a deplorable. Its the people that are against putting this country and our people 1st that seem to be the problem.
HeavyEquipmentForums Just like the politicians everyone bitches about-rules are not followed here either.
I can't 'say' much without being really polarizing. I'm a righty. I work for a living. I don't expect handouts. Don't mind giving a help up, but not for generations. Get really PO'd when American service men and women have to draw gov't subsidies to make ends meet. They protect us, our borders and our interests. Why the F#$% they aren't better taken care of is beyond me. As Vetech said, this president has done more for this country in the short time has been in then all of the last 5. No apologies given, 0 f@#$s given. And, and he's done what he promised. Pulled us out of the Paris accord agreement, eased stage 5 emissions. We have steel mills firing up. Automakers are investing in Americans. Trade has been equalized, somewhat. I'm all in for Trump and MAGA.
Point made. I'm blaming the Canadian on this one!
LIKES X 10
This wasn't intended to be a political debate, just a comparison of how the 2 countries elect their leaders. But like the old saying goes, if you get lost in the woods, just mention politics, and someone will show up to argue with you. If you need to, go ahead and sensor....delete
I am always so glad, on this site people can stay reasonable when it turns to politics, for longer than anywhere else on the internet.
So why does there have to be blame on anything? What percentage of the population in Canada vote for their premier? How does that compare with the US? How many US citizens actually voted in 2016? According to Wikipedia the number is just over 55%, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_turnout_in_the_United_States_presidential_elections Are we preventing people from voting or do that many people just not care? What do the people of Canada think of their mass media? I find the CBC to be very professional and mostly present the facts of news and not the opinions and slants of the individual segments of the organization. I do believe the short time period and unpredictable nature of flash elections. Barely time to raise billions to put on a slick campaign and run a beauty contest like done here.
The Canadiens have a lot to learn (from Chicago) learn to register your dead. That way you can vote early, and often.
CBC is owned by the government, so take it from there. There are a lot of similarities between countries. We have a lot more social programs, so we are taxed to death. Now they are going to tax carbon emissions so everything but my wages will go up. For some reason, I am responsible for how indigenous people were treated long before I was born, so I have to share the cost. My home province is pretty much broke because we need 2 hospital systems, and 2 school systems for French and English. Kids that live and play together on the same road have to take separate busses because some politicians decided that because of the language act, separate bussing was their right. The language commissioner practically crippled the ambulance service in this province because there were not enough French speaking paramedics on staff. It wasn't enough to have French staff in French areas, and it took a court of law to get the service going again, French or not. We can't carry hand guns, and I think it's a big deal just to own one paperwork wise, but we can legally carry and smoke dope though, figure that one out. We have a boat load of oil and natural gas, but the environmentalists won't let it leave the west. Oh and our politicians can stay in office as long as they get the vote. Oh and the Premiere is like the governor of the province and the Prime minister is the leader of the country. We don't vote for the Premiere or the prime minister. They are the leaders of their party, but they still have to win their seat in their riding. It's a flawed system, because if I like the PM, I might have to vote for someone in my riding that I don't like in order to get his party in.
There should be a political section! Why not!? I hate to say it but this site has been pretty boring as of late.... A little political discussion might perk things up!!!
This HEF not Face Book, Twitter, Fox News, CNN or MSNBC-I for one don't want to read about someone else's political opinion, those are like *** holes everybody has one. I was on three other forums five years ago, two motorcycle and one mopar. All three had political sections but as time went by political views crept into threads that were just honest questions of mechanical problems. Pretty soon it was {I expect that from a from a left winger or a right winger} in a sarcastic reply. The stuff never stays put in one section. BMT is one forum that I only visit rarely anymore, mainly to look at photos of old Mack trucks. The crap is everywhere on that forum, a bunch of good ole boys talking out their ***. It will cause members to stray eventually, most people come on HEF to get away from it all. I know I do. But I find that reason less and less as time goes by.
My understanding on this forum is political talk is allowed as long as it relates to the heavy equipment industry . You can state an opinion , share a story but you have to play nice while doing it . I'm cool with that and members & mods do a great job . Hey , I like to hear other peoples take on a subject and how it effects them .
As politically charged as everything is around us it’s really hard to keep it from seeping in. Seems to me that just about every country is in some form of upheaval. I’m not sure what to make of it all. There are days I’m like ***k it. It’ll be what it’ll be, I can’t control any of it. Other days I think of my kids and if they have kids. What will they be coming into? When I’m in a positive mood I feel like this is another round of BS and things will settle back into a calmer period. I’ll save my actual opinion on why things are the way they are..... The LAST thing I’d ever want to be a part of is somebody leaving the forum. I have so much respect for y’all that I’d hate to see anymore leave. We’ve already lost some great guys. I don’t want anymore to go. I mean think of it this way.....if too many leave then I’m the senior guy. That’s a scary thought! Haha
I think just general comments on things that are going on is OK but going into debates about who is right and who is wrong is where things go off the rails. Religion and politics can turn friends into enemies faster than anything else.
You just had to mention religion.... Well it made it through 2 pages I guess it was just a matter of time...
My thanks to the guys who have bothered to post reminders of what the rules are. So, if you see the neighbor's dog taking a dump on your lawn, you think you might as well go take one there too? The fact that somebody else has the responsibility of cleaning it up makes that ok? Steve may be the owner of this site, but as I'll point out at every opportunity, it's the members who make it what it is. I'll happily do a lot for this community, but moderating political discussions is one thing I will not be happy to do. If HEF ever adds a political discussion section, I'll turn in my keys and not look back...
I don’t think we truly want or need a political section which in the end will end up dividing people. Besides we in the US at least have been force fed politics for years without any break from every possible outlet. I for one am sick and tired of it and don’t want to see it come here.
Another thought on the matter.....what I think is a neutral comment or observation might just offend the heck out of somebody. Sure as heck don’t want to do that on accident. I’d say to be on the safe side and avoid mucking up a good site we should leave it alone.....I come here to share knowledge, gain knowledge and have a laugh or two.
Thin skin is not an asset. The sooner we get used to being offended the better off we are.
I thought it would be interesting to compare the process of picking a leader for both countries without the actual content. I guess that is impossible for some, so I would ask that this post be removed before it hits the ice burg. To avoid further incidents, I would ask that my profile be removed as well.
That's a little extreme Cuttin Edge, isn't it? Some of us have flaunted the rules, myself included, but nobody got too hurt, and this thread can die of neglect like so many. No harm in that. I'm out, and I'll try to do better next time. Please don't leave just because others abused your thread.
I'm not leaving, I'm just saying tha if it's that big a deal and they need me out, that's fine
Not saying it is. You can’t ruffle my feathers with a brick. There are always people easily offended and while I don’t mind speaking my mind if I can avoid running somebody off of this site I’ll sure do so. This thread has gone on a tangent like many do. Part of what makes things interesting.
If my post ruffled any feathers I apologize. I am used to posting on another forum, where they have a politics section, that is completely unmonitored. I may sometimes forget that. on the other forum, this would be considered one of my milder posts. Spent too many years doing things my own way, I guess... There's a John Wayne quote from The Shootist, something about the great outdoors is my church, but I can't find it, right now...
No feathers ruffled here, but I'm black and white about rules-no gray area. In my life there is no maybe's it's either yes or no. No one waits on me, I'm always ahead of schedule because I have a plan and work the plan. Any rules posted anywhere I follow them. Laws and rules are for everyone no one is exempt.
Rule number one …. LOL !
I’m assuming CORNWALL ON. I live 20 min form Cornwall and would be more than happy to see that happen. Still think a direct pipeline would be better though.
Don't want to start a debate but I think the reason why voters should care and why a lot of them don't (anymore) is the same. A lot of the time it doesn't make a difference so why bother. The gov't. is going to do what they want for their own self preservation. Thankfully sometimes the voters get it right. Quebec doesn't want the pipeline and of course Quebec (and to lesser extent Ontario) are the only provinces that matter to the federal gov't. It's not a problem at all that Quebec dumps raw sewage into the St Lawrence whenever they feel the need. The Lavscam going on right now is because of a company based in Quebec and the gov't. is claiming it's over the loss of potentially 9000 jobs... which the company CEO even disputes. The 10's of thousands of jobs lost in Alberta don't seem to matter. It's all about votes so Quebec gets special treatment, they always have. Quebec's economy is good but do they have to make transfer payments, no they still collect from Alberta who is really hurting. The 2600+ jobs lost as a result of GM closing the Oshawa plant is also a worse tragedy than the massive job loss and business closings in Alberta. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/longueuil-sewage-dump-st-lawrence-1.4887077 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/oil-patch-layoffs-how-many-1.3665250
This one had me guessing for a bit - a pipeline to Cornwall! Just worked out that you've got a Cornwall over there as well.
Thanks for that! I guess I can throw away this grade stake I been carrying all these years if I got lost. Cause any surveyor will tell you that as soon as you stick a stake in the ground a truck will be along directly to run over it!