Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

rb auction

trekkar · 2019-03-18 16:48

Anyone going to this auction next tuesday in MD? From what I can tell buying anything over 30k is going to cost you a 1300 fee and then I'm assuming tax. I used there online shipping estimate and it said around 1500 for a 18klb excavator from MD to CT. Which I would be fine with. Does that seem like the going rate? When can you start looking over the equipment? I'm not sure if I will be able to make it so I may have to try online bidding. If I can and anyone that knows what to look for and wants to give a general inspection I'd pay them some money just PM me.

Replies70
  1. #1John Canfield2019-03-18 17:57

    I’ve bought three pieces of equipment from Iron Planet online auctions, Richie Brothers bought them a while ago. Buying online at an IP auction is easy but I have no idea about an in-person Ritchie auction. You will have to pay sales tax unless you are exempt and you will pay a buyers fee. I paid about $2200 to ship a 20,000 pound dozer from Tennessee to central Texas- this was about 8 years ago. I can give you the name of the freight broker I used when I bought my boom lift a few months ago at an IP auction. He did a good job for me and kept me informed. Disclaimer- I have absolutely zero ties to this guy, I chose him from a list of several brokers that bid on my freight job.

  2. #2DIYDAVE2019-03-18 19:55

    Might could go fer a looksee, if you want. Never sent a PM, here, Is it the start a conversation icon, on the member's page?

  3. #3old-iron-habit2019-03-18 20:13

    I thing so.

  4. #4tbone14712019-03-18 22:49

    I usually go down on saturday or sunday the weekend before the sale. Typically the items at this sale go for a premium as do the ones at the last sale of the year. 1500 seems cheap to ship that but most of what we move is oversize so i may be off.

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-03-19 01:03

    Don't buy sight unseen. RB lets you look stuff over and see how it runs for several days before the auction.

  6. #6trekkar2019-03-19 06:54

    Thanks all for the info, that 1500 for shipping does seem to be cheap. But seeing the used market in my area even if I paid double that and tax I'll probably be better off. That would work out great if I could go down Sat or Sun before and then just bid online on tuesday.

  7. #7check2019-03-19 07:47

    I've found their shipping estimates are way lower than what it actually costs. The only items I've bought from them sight unseen is new items like skid steer attachments and rock screens. I bought my skid steer and excavator from them.

  8. #8xr4ticlone2019-03-27 20:17

    As a 'wholesaler' in the industry I can tell you that RB is pretty much retail right now unless you're talking dealerships with financing (they're getting better prices due to aggressive financing, RPO options, and extended warranties). For the love of Pete, look around for what you want to buy PRIOR to going to the auction. You people (end users) are giving us all headaches anymore. : ) It's not only damn near impossible to tell what something will bring, but the prices are irrational as well. Just one example from the last Houston sale...*** are you paying $45000 for a machine with 10k MORE hours than one that just sold for $70K? I saw machines bring more than lower hour, newer, machines listed for sale as well. My biggest knock on RB is that 5ft forward and 5ft backwards doesn't give you any idea of the condition of a machine. And it doesn't take much to drop $10, $20, or even $40k on repairs for a lot of this stuff. That said, there are some buys to be had. Just do your homework, check out everything you're going to bid on before auction, and set your price limit up front and stick to it.

  9. #9catman132019-03-27 22:12

    I see it all of the time at auctions people buy sight unseen ( out of state ) , and they paid full market value, this is some of machines, these are cat because I went to look at them, seen all brands d5hxl = bad trans and steering d3c = bad left steering 299c = bad trans

  10. #10Birken Vogt2019-03-28 00:06

    I saw it myself the last auction I attended. It was raining cats and dogs but I went out in the yard anyway. I was there to buy gensets which have a more computer-like auction format than the machines they run over the ramp. Anyway I was seeing them sell for 50% of new price and some of them had wires and junk hanging out of them like the previous owners had tried to fix them and given up and taken them to the auction. Made me wish I was selling and not buying. Went home empty that day, no way I was paying that much for a pig in a poke.

  11. #11RZucker2019-03-28 00:49

    Regarding any auction machines, I have a 5 minute rule... if I don't feel good after a 5 minute walk around, I keep walking. I think that has saved me quite a few headaches.

  12. #12John C.2019-03-28 10:24

    I've never understood the logic of an auction for people in business. The stuff is there because the owner no longer wants it. There is no recourse after you buy it. You have to pay full price before you can pick it up. In most cases the gavel price has a buyer's premium attached to it. No one verifies hour meter or odometer readings. You are supposed to compete for the assets with people who don't know which end is forward. No retail company can generate such mass stupidity.

  13. #13check2019-03-28 11:04

    Maybe you have had better luck dealing with salesmen and retailers than I have. Personally, based on my own experiences, I think it's plain stupid to trust or believe salesmen. They always tell me what they think I want to hear before I buy, then after the sale it's tough luck. I don't have the means to verify hour meter/odometer readings on used dealer equipment and have been lied to several times about the same. Anything new is DEF and anything used is buyer beware and the owner no longer wants it, no matter who sells, at least to me, as I don't have the deep pockets to develop a trusting relationship with a dealer. The buyers premium is always known before bidding. I agree there are lots of idiotic eager bidders, but I choose not to be one of them and have left a few auctions disgusted. I decide on max price before bidding. You buy from a dealer, the salesman salary is added to the sales price, as is all the other overhead they have. The kind of iron I buy, which is used on my own property and not for a living, is purchased at less than 20% of new (with the exception of attachments). Auctions and private sellers are usually the only ones who have iron in that range. Although I despise auctioneers as much as dealers, I will likely continue to make most of my purchases there.

  14. #14John C.2019-03-28 11:14

    It's plain to see you are a knowledgeable buyer. How many times have you missed out on a possible decent machine for a decent price by a gullible rube that doesn't know what he is looking at? At least you have the option of negotiating price with a dealer. As far as dealers go, there are good and bad just like there are good and bad auctioneers. You can't trust either sales vehicle. Just remember the auctioneer has nothing in the game except a commission. Most know little or nothing about the machine except from the view on the ground. Most of the time a dealer has their own money tied up and a reputation to maintain. Here is a tip for negotiating with dealers, don't take no from someone who isn't allowed to say yes.

  15. #15check2019-03-28 13:16

    Good points, John. If you don't trust you have less chance of being rooked no matter who you buy from. I have met quite a few smart people who were dumb as a stump when it came to buying or selling stuff....too trusting. Usually they made lots of money by other methods. A guy who wants to own lots of older, high hour equipment and not have a fortune tied up in them needs to develop those skills first.

  16. #1656wrench2019-03-28 16:25

    its like an old guy I know advised me- at an rb auction, bid on it like its a piece of junk; if it is, you only paid junk price; if its good, that's a bonus

  17. #17John C.2019-03-28 19:53

    In my opinion the key to good purchasing practice is doing your home work up front and knowing what you are looking at and how much you would have to pay for it in each type of market. The hope about auctions used to be that good deals could be had because assets were being auctioned off because they were no longer needed. In the last fifteen years I've seen it change to be a dumping ground for problem iron. Let the buyer beware.

  18. #18DIYDAVE2019-03-28 20:24

    I seldom go to consignment or thievery fee sales. Now Estate auctions are a different animal, you know the owner ain't gonna be there to bid agin you. Sometimes relatives will bid you up, but by and large, the family just wants the ca$h. if there are antiques, them women bidders just gotta spend their last cent. JMHO!

  19. #19Welder Dave2019-03-28 23:07

    You have to be smart about it but there can be great deals at auctions. The RB auction in Nisku is their largest volume site in N. America. I've seen brand new machines with full factory warranty lined up. I think it was last year or the year before they had their biggest sale ever, 5 days. They had some brand new unused 2015 tandem front, tri-axle picker trucks that had to worth well over 1 mil each. To assume everything at an auction is there because it's junk or has major problems is wrong. The better machines will have maintainence records available and they will tell you who the seller is. Way back in 1985, I bought a Miller Trailblazer 55 diesel welder for $2750. There were 8 of them. The guy beside that bought one had no idea what he was buying. He thought it was just a 400 amp diesel welder (with a lot of extra controls and knobs on the front). It was a multi process machine and used for running CRC automatic pipeline equipment. A new one with all the options was $15,000. Some of the small stuff is the best deals. A couple years ago I saw welding positioners worth thousands of dollars sell for $100 and less. Pallets of portable rod ovens for $60. Farm sales can have good deals too but people are just stupid bidding on the junk and the auctioneer will spend 5 minutes trying to get the bids up on a $10 item. Some stuff does sell for more than you can buy it new.

  20. #20John C.2019-03-29 00:22

    I suppose you can see that in the oil fields when things go bust. You don't see any of that down here is Chehalis. Anything near new brings as much as retail dealer with no perks. No warranty, no financing, no whine time and you can't have it until paid in full.

  21. #21Crummy2019-03-29 08:59

    @John C. I knew a guy at Rhine that used a rate sheet for wholesale machines, something like; under X,XXXhrs, yellow, $1.00/lb....over X,XXXhrs $0.75/lb.......over XX,XXXhrs $0.50/lb. Is that a common practice now in the wholesale market? I hauled machines out of RB for customers (why they 'partnered' with uShip, what a joke!, but I digress...) some barely would get on the wagon & I'd use spill kit diapers zip tied & stuffed everywhere to keep from getting put OOS for leaking, understandable for an auction machine......but you paid how much for it?!?!?!? WOW! I think the RB easy-squeezy financing helps them sell a lot of junk. I still get calls from RBFS- " we're having an auction in your area and offering no payments for 90 days....".

  22. #22John C.2019-03-29 10:46

    I've seen a lot of ways people consider value on machines that work something like that. Straight line depreciation tables and ball park estimates all come for some type of knowledge of the markets and with enough experience can be pretty handy. The thing to keep in mind is that they work about the same as a value guide. You have to adjust for age, condition, desirability and so on. I've been standing next to people bidding on a machine and when the gavel hit, they asked me which machine they bought. Ritchie Bros. isn't the same company it was before they went public. Now everything is for the share holders and they are looking for a lot of different ways to make money over and above the auctions themselves.

  23. #2356wrench2019-03-29 11:04

    people get excited when they hear about the cheap item that somebody got at auction but they have to remember that if they were there they would have had to outbid the other guy and the price would have been higher-maybe a lot higher

  24. #2456wrench2019-03-29 11:07

    in my experience, its always the sales I don't go to that have the best deals lol

  25. #25Birken Vogt2019-03-29 13:32

    Also depends on whether you are selling or buying. At the last sale I went where items I valued at $2000 were selling for $8000, a guy I know had a couple of reasonable condition pieces of large iron sell for only $15,000, I guess nobody needed them that day.

  26. #26trekkar2019-03-31 15:41

    I wasn't able to go so I wasn't buying one of the 308s unless they were about 10k less than they went for. They had 10 2017 308s hours from 280-950 and all went between 72k and 80k. Then with fees, taxes and transport I was probably going to be in another 10k. Which I think is a fair deal if it all checks out but I'd would rather spend a little more and not gamble with an auction unit. Actually have time to use it. And like 56alberta said, I would have had to out bid the selling price and I'm not sure if some dealer bought them all up or not and will just resell. There were 2 2012 TB285s that went for around 42k and 47k even though 1 had 6k hours and the other had 3k. A tb175 with 6k hours went for 13k which sounds great considering one in my area is listed for 27k with the sames hours but not knowing the condition. Also there were a few skid steers then went for cheap money compared to what I see them forsale up here in the northeast. Of course I have no idea on the condition Lot #: 917B 2005 CATERPILLAR 287B Multi Terrain Loader Meter Reads: 1,921 Hr* Details: hyd Q/C, bkt, aux hyd, cab NORTH EAST, MD Tuesday, March 26, 2019 Sold for: USD Lot #: 928 2005 BOBCAT A300 Skid Steer Loader Meter Reads: 3,916 Hr* Details: hyd Q/C, bkt, aux hyd, canopy NORTH EAST, MD Tuesday, March 26, 2019 Sold for: USD

  27. #27warpspeed2019-04-01 23:00
  28. #28Deere John2019-04-02 14:49

    All of those 308's were imported, any idea why? They all had European decals on them.

  29. #29Wytruckwrench2019-04-02 15:50

    RB Auctions owns a high percentage of the equipment in every sale. They move it around from sale to sale. They import and export their own. So you are always bidding against the house, however you can’t protect your own that’s selling.

  30. #30John C.2019-04-03 10:41

    I've seen a bunch of stuff coming from Europe in the last two years. Ritchie will go over there and buy out rental fleets and end of job surplus and bring it to the states. The machines usually have a lot of safety crap on them that isn't required here. The only thing that makes them attractive is the low hours and gavel price.

  31. #31catman132019-04-03 23:06

    try and get parts for them

  32. #32simonsrplant2019-05-30 01:44

    I don't mind an auction... I stand by a rule tho. Set your limit and stay within it. It's far too easy to bid that extra hundred bucks... Before you know it your a grand over limit and have potentially over paid for a unit.

  33. #33Luis Lopez2019-07-22 16:21

    There is always a smart way to transport your machinery, you might want to check some other options.

  34. #34Luis Lopez2019-07-22 16:24

    There are many good people and companies out there offering their services for transportation needs.

  35. #35CashGhost2019-07-26 05:32

    Any auction in the UK?

  36. #36xr4ticlone2019-08-12 22:30

    I talked to a guy in FL that buys a lot of European equipment. He told me most of it has many more hours on it than what they show. In Europe the operators are better quality & more careful / better trained than here...they take care of the equipment so the appearances line up with the hours they reportedly have...not the ones they actually have.

  37. #37John C.2019-08-12 23:20

    I guess I don't know how they would change the hours on stuff without buying new monitor panels on most of the stuff I've seen. You might buy a new panel for a Komatsu or Cat and set the hours where you want. That just seems a bit over the top though when you consider those panels run $2,500 or more to purchase a new one. Most people here buy on condition and need as much or more than on hours. I also don't know that they take any better care for a fact. The stuff I've looked at had nice new paint, new seat cushions, glass and everything worked. It also had load locks on every hydraulic circuit.

  38. #38Welder Dave2019-08-13 01:44

    Several members on here have posted pics. of their equipment and jobs they've completed. To say European operators are better quality, more careful, better trained and take better care of the equipment is a pretty ridiculous statement. You can have skilled precision operators or complete hacks no matter what part of the world they're in.

  39. #39muzy2019-08-13 21:17

    What are load locks on hyd. ? John C. Lol I did a quick search...now I know less.

  40. #40John C.2019-08-13 23:37

    A load lock is a valve the put on the gravity side of a cylinder so that if you blow a hose the weight of the implement won't come crashing down on someone. It takes a pilot pressure to release the valve. So if you want the boom to come down, the pilot pressure from the boom down joy stick opens the load lock mounted on the boom up side of the cylinder.

  41. #41muzy2019-08-14 22:25

    Thanks John.

  42. #42CashGhost2019-08-15 05:18

    Very true. More I am digging in the industry, more I see how bad it could be. Unfortunately there are many dishonest people out in the market. Especially in the UK, these guys have mechanics they work with and what they do they decrease the HOURS on the machine. So the machine shows 5000 hours, but it reality it could be more than double of this number. I think the only way to check is either to get a professional appraisal or ask for service documents where you somehow can find the hours on the record.

  43. #43Vetech632019-08-15 07:44

    Auction equipment...……..UGH Its like looking for gold...……….most of the time you go broke before you ever find any.

  44. #44DMiller2019-08-15 08:01

    Local HE Auction, guy I know in STL wanted me to go look, walked the yard for half an hour seeing nothing I would bid on. He was emphatic there should be bargains and I explained NOT. Sale went off as expected, junk D6C with a blade needing major rebuild(several rust and rub throughs) and absolutely SHOT UC brought $19500, guy that bought it turned right around and advertised on FB Marketplace in a week, claiming 60% UC and great machine "Just needs new batteries" only moved it one yard to another, asking $22500 for it, STILL Junk. Nothing sold at any form of reasonable price in the sale, two old Corn Queen MODOT Dump Trucks ate up with salt cancer but crew cab sold for twice what I would have considered as a Top bid, they also sit on used lots now.

  45. #45skata2019-08-16 02:28

    yeah, there is a lot of junk at the ritchie auctions. its the place to dump equipment that you'd otherwise feel guilty about selling to someone personally! but sometimes there is rental company equipment there that is legit. but their fees, sales tax, and shipping fees really all add up. i've been buying a lot from Bidadoo on ebay lately. mostly former rental equipment, inspection reports, and very low fees, and no sales tax in many states.

  46. #46Welder Dave2019-08-16 13:06

    I think it depends on the area and the particular auction. The RB auction site in Nisku can have the whole gambit of machines from brand new with warranty to broken down parts machines. Lots of reasons to sell equipment through an auction. It doesn't mean the equipment is junk just because it goes to the auction. I think the biggest reason to sell through an auction is because you get your money right away. If you are financially stable and can afford to advertise your equipment privately, great. An auction takes the hassle out of trying to sell stuff on your own and it can be more than a hassle. Some people do bid stupid but smart buyers can find great deals on good used equipment.

  47. #47DMiller2019-08-16 15:34

    So same buddy called me last night, wanted my opinion on 1150B Case so I ask where. Sends me this ad: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/513129249424061/?ref=feed_rhc Ask him why is bothering, looking at $10k in rails shoes, adjuster seal kits and sprockets, NOT Including rollers. Then the Cute Part, he admitted been to it and looked it over, the Current happy owner told him "Easy Enough to Remove Link and get rails to tighten up", it would not start, been sitting and has a tank full of BLACK Fuel. Great. Told him GO AWAY.

  48. #48JD955SC2019-08-16 19:44

    I could not in good consciousness drop money on a piece of heavy equipment without a thorough inspection, oil samples, operating both when cold and warmed up to operating temp, and checking the logged code history for any overheating or other codes that could indicate potential abusive operation that had not been deleted. You don’t get to do a lot of that on an auction piece. I have done some used equipment inspections to help our sales guys put numbers on trade ins. It’s very telling what some poking around with a flashlight and a laptop can tell you about the condition of a machine and how it is typically treated. I have seen too many threads on here where a new owner comes on and is all “well I just got X and it overheats/stops pushing/trans slips/found water in oil/doesn’t want to start when cold, etc” meaning big $$$ is ahead to fix the issue My view on equipment is there are few bargains out there. There is lots of worn out junk because the companies/owners had to push it to get work on tight schedules done. Or second/third owners that made crappily rigged “repairs”

  49. #49DMiller2019-08-16 20:09

    I enjoy laughing at the wasted words when a person has placed a machine on auction with a reserve that will never be met or that throws one on Craigslist then as the price draws no interest out along with minimal decreases comes the "Will go to scrap if do not get $XXXXX offer" as if that will draw any visitors. Heard a guy at that Local Auction, "My machine does not pull $xxxxx I will send it to China in a scrap boat" Guess he has not looked at price per ton of late. Had one fella offer me a FL14C for "Scrap Price" when scrap was $140-160/ton, he quoted "weighs out at 35,000 lbs", scrap price would be around $24-2500 CLEAN scrap all neat and torn apart, he would not accept less than $5500, needless to say it is NOT here.

  50. #50TD242019-08-16 21:07

    The danger in going to an auction...... Sometimes; in the heat of bidding, you pay too much. Words to live by.

  51. #51xr4ticlone2019-08-21 13:39

    My old boss did 40+ years in Heavy Equipment sales...he had two sayings... 1 - If you bought something of mine in an auction...you got ***. 2 - The only value of an auction is never having to meet the guy you just ***. RB does NOT protect you from bad tractors. None of them do. And I'd tell you that 90% of the time you're overpaying for a tractor there. I've said it before & I'll say it again. Find a reputable wholesaler in your area. Not only can they help you find good equipment, but they can find you better deals. As I told my one customer that is forever afraid I might make a dime on him...and has repeatedly shot himself in the foot trying to 'steal' a tractor, then calls me to 'fix this'... "Well you should be able to sell it for that much! It's the cheapest one I could find!" 'It's not the cheapest one I found...or with the least amount of hours' "How would you be able to find a better deal than that???" 'I told you, there is honor among thieves. These guys know I have to have room to make a living. They know that you'll make millions working the tractor, so they don't price it the same. Plus they are less likely to shove a bad one on me as I'm potentially much more repeat business. You're not a thief...and you'll never be considered a thief' "So what am I??" (Smiles) 'A victim?' : ) On the other hand I saved another customer $5k on a tractor he found online vs what they told him his bottom dollar....and that $5k is after I got paid. But this guy gets it...he doesn't look at what I make...only at what he saved.

  52. #52TD242019-08-21 14:40

    It is known as " Sharing the wealth". LOL

  53. #53John C.2019-08-21 17:20

    I take a slightly different tact and if you are honest you will agree with me. I don't know any used equipment seller that is totally honest, especially if they are hard up for a sale. I've never trusted any of them and no one should trust anyone in sales of any kind. It doesn't matter if it is a franchised retail seller, broker or auction house. What's more, there is no law that states a seller can go jail for not saying anything. Due diligence is in the hands of the buyer. The buyer is acting in their own best interests and should be cognizant of all the facts of the asset. That's why I get hired before a purchase it made. Here is another little factoid that sellers don't tell people. They price their iron based on auction sales. Anyone and everyone can look up auction prices, sellers or buyers. If you are acting as a sellers agent, it is incumbent on you to achieve the highest sale price. If you are acting in the interest of the buyer, it is incumbent on you to achieve the lowest purchase price. To wrap this up, the only way you can provide value for your service as you are speaking, is by knowing the actual condition of the asset and making the statement that what you are selling or buying is somehow better than what was found somewhere else and the higher or lower price is justified. If you look at my avatar you can get an idea how long I've been in the industry. I've met only a few sales reps who's knowledge of equipment was much above a first year apprentice. If you provide value, more power to you. My experience tells my that the rest of the industry is no better than the auctions.

  54. #54TD242019-08-21 17:32

    Agreed... Caveat Emptor is the watchword.

  55. #55xr4ticlone2019-08-22 00:52

    I'll agree they are few & far between. I'll also say there is no way to 100% know what a tractor is or isn't...if I could tell with 100% certainty I'd be much richer today. What I can tell you is who to trust & who not to trust...and who I don't know & none of my contacts know. Sales people are no different than anyone else. As I like to say 'This industry is full of liars, thieves, & crooks...and that's just the customers' I don't ask my customers to blindly trust me...I tell them if I can't beat their deal, take theirs.

  56. #56Welder Dave2019-08-22 01:41

    Saying nothing is better than exaggerating the condition of a machine. In some cases the seller can be liable for gross misrepresentation of the item they are selling. I went through this on a single axle dump truck I bought several years ago. Truck had had a commercial vehicle inspection done prior to being listed for sale. Seller claimed brakes (hyd.) were all new. About 1-1/2 month's later I was hauling sand and heard a loud bang. The brake pedal was spongy when I pulled to a stop. Looked around didn't see anything obvious so limped the truck on back roads and unloaded the sand at the job. Then I limped the truck to a brake shop I cleared snow for. They couldn't believe what they found. Brake pads were like brand new but bearings were shot among other things. The loud bang was the right brake drum almost splitting in two! Worn over 125%. The shop said the groove inside the flared outside lip on the brake drum is a dead giveaway. They always pull at least one wheel to check. I talked to the shop that did the inspection and they said they knew the owner and took his word for it that the brakes were new. The brake shop said you never take anyone's word for it when doing an inspection. Anyway talked to a lawyer and got a student to help me. Had a discovery at the court house with the seller and the inspection shop. Took a little present in a box to the meeting. Did a bunch of introductions and everybody was wondering what was in the box. The inspection shop owners jaw almost hit the floor when I opened the box and he saw the brake drum. The hub was the only thing holding it together. Seller had a lawyer from a big law firm. I told them I had an expert witness from the brake shop that was willing to testify in court and would also be contacting the provincial authority that issues licenses for commercial vehicle inspections. I think the inspection shop was more than a little worried at this point. The repairs cost about $2200 and I ended up getting $1800 back not going to court. Legal fee's were about $300. I think I might have got it all back in court but wasn't worth the hassle. The really funny part is the truck wasn't heavy enough to actually require a commercial vehicle inspection. The seller was trying to pull a fast one but it backfired on him. If not for that inspection, I think it would have been a lot harder for me to claim gross misrepresentation although on a provincial site showing how to proceed in court, the example was for a car that was sold with apparent new brakes that were worn out.

  57. #57xr4ticlone2019-08-22 21:46

    In the US commercial buyers have very little recourse...they're expected to be business professionals who don't require or get the same considerations average consumers get. However, a professional evaluation by a dealer / professional shop / certified inspector is clearly a different story. All equipment is like a horse...they all eat and go to the vet. Some vet visits are worse than others. End users need to budget realistic maintenance & repairs...both time & money.

  58. #58Welder Dave2019-08-23 00:36

    Price has something to do with it but a seller can't grossly misrepresent the condition of the item. If you buy a used car $1000 it's pretty much as is. If the same car is sold for $4000 and the seller has stated unequivocally it has a rebuilt engine and transmission but dies 50 miles down the road would be an example. I think the same could apply to used equipment. Better to play dumb than make totally false statements as to condition.

  59. #59DMiller2019-08-23 06:41

    I still enjoy the 60% common figure for rails when nearly that far beyond shot or just needs batteries when charging system in general is entirely crap. Most obvious run away faster is “Work Ready” means you will have more grease on your hands than on the machine and more time dragging wrenches then moving dirt.

  60. #60check2019-09-14 09:19

    Went to a Ritchie Brothers auction yesterday. It seems to me that they are trying to generate as much confusion as they can. When you bid at a live auction, your eyes and ears are on 3 things. One is the price on the screen, one is trying to decipher what the auctioneer is saying and the last is the body language of the bid catcher. The price on the screen seems to change back and forth from "bid" to "ask" because the amount goes up and down. The auctioneer is talking at 100 MPH with 8 pieces of bubble gum in his mouth. The bid catcher is talking to you with body language, which usually means someone is not accountable to what he says. One thing that you don't usually see clearly is the other bidders. You rely on the bid catcher to signal when you have been outbid, but that just seems a bit vague. Did the other guy actually outbid you or is the bid catcher trying to get you to bid against yourself?? Bidding online is easier, IMO. First of all you don't have to figure out what the auctioneer is babbling and second is that you don't have to figure out what the bid catcher is saying with hand signals and third is that the current price is always bid so you don't have to try to figure out whether it's bid or ask. In business and politics clear, plain language is the best way to communicate and when one party is deliberately trying to confuse or go over your head, he is a crook. Adding to this ambiguity, RB is using a fast pace to add to the confusion. My advice would be to plan ahead by looking at the junk a day or two before the auction, then do your bidding at home on your computer.

  61. #61Birken Vogt2019-09-14 10:27

    Fourth, you have to figure in the buyer's premium.

  62. #62check2019-09-14 11:03

    And shipping. Here in Montana used equipment for sale is scarce and you have to pay the local premium (if you can find what you need) or plan on having it hauled 600-800 miles. Premium plus shipping can run upwards of 25%. At least RB has equipment for sale,which is the main reason I do business with them. No matter how much I have tied up in my old equipment, I can always sell it at a small profit to local guys who don't have time for traipsing across the country to look for it.

  63. #63crane operator2019-09-14 12:46

    At least ritchie bros is reasonable on their buying premium. Purplewave is more of a midwest online auction house for a lot of equipment, and they are 10% buyers premium on all sales. If you start looking at some high $ equipment, that adds up. Ritchie is only 10% on items under $10,000, 3.85% for 10 to 30,000, anything over $33,000 is a max of $1,300. Makes a big difference on a $80,000 purchase. I will agree with check though, some of the ritchie auctioneers need to go back to school, they are really hard to understand. There are some that are quite good. If the buyers can't understand what you are saying, I'm not sure what good they are?

  64. #64check2019-09-14 14:27

    I thought the ability to NOT be understood was what they taught in auctioneer school. Seems it would be easy for them to be understood. Talk plainly without babble.

  65. #65John C.2019-09-14 15:03

    Watch an art or collector car auction if you want to understand what they are saying. Ritchie Bros. runs their auction like a live stock auction. You have to be alert and know how to anticipate what is going on. I've said this before, "no one else can generate as much mass stupidity as an equipment auction."

  66. #66catman132019-09-15 00:20

    RB auction sales so many lots a hour and that makes it harder to fallow whats going on, I do like their premium scale , some auction companies it is flat rate no matter the price

  67. #67Welder Dave2019-09-15 01:17

    The thing with RB is if you want to bid, you better bid now. They have way too many lots to sell to spend 5 minutes trying to get an extra $10 like farm auctions do. The only time I see them spend extra time trying to get more is with the high dollar equipment. Stuff under 10K, they don't fool around. I like that. I've been to farm auctions where they spend 5 minutes trying to get an extra buck or 2 on the miscellaneous stuff under $10. Have seen people interested in the machinery leave the auction because they spent too much time on the small items and junk. I bought 1000 and 500 gallon tanks (put together as one lot) at RB for $50 several years ago. Auctioneer started off at $200, then $100, then who will give $50? I put my hand up and he said sold.

  68. #68check2019-09-15 08:47

    The RB auction I went to Friday they were having two auctions simultaneously. The timed auction took place at the same time as the live auction. They were selling skid steer attachments at the same time as skid steers. They don't seem to possess the ability to put themselves in the shoes of the buyer from afar. Someone who travels a few hundred miles to bid has to think about timing and shipping strategy. You don't want to bid early on attachments not knowing if you will be successful buying a skid steer. Buy the attachments by themselves and the cost just doubled. They won't let you haul off an items the day of the sale so if you brought your own trailer you're stuck in that town with a trailer and nothing to do for 24 hours. If you didn't bring a trailer, you will be looking to find someone to haul a couple attachments. Poor strategy.

  69. #69John C.2019-09-15 10:57

    The one time Richey will spend time on items is when they own them. Bid levels will go from tens of thousands to five thousands to two and half thousands to ones thousand to five hundreds.

  70. #70Wilson8922019-09-15 18:54

    Tried to buy a skeleton bucket for my JD 892 three times online with Ritchie. Three different sales same picture of bucket had it each time at last second, auction closed and was notified I was not the successful bidder. Pretty sure Ritchie was covering their butts. John