Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Electric backhoe?

aighead · 2020-03-12 12:53

https://insideevs.com/news/403585/case-fully-electric-backhoe-loader/ This video doesn't show anything but the tires touching dirt, but they claim similar characteristics as a diesel machine. I kind of don't believe it.

Replies33
  1. #1AzIron2020-03-12 15:20

    The rep didn't take my question seriously when I asked where I would plug it in

  2. #2Swetz2020-03-12 15:41

    Well, my company (the one I work for, not mine) has many electric powered vehicles (cars and hybrid hydraulic boom trucks). They have been awesome. Few breakdowns and lasting well over 200k miles. Electric motors are a real good fit for a high torque situation. All of the above stated, they will run out of juice. They state that they can work an 8 hour day, ok, that is brand new. The capacity of the battery does diminish over time. Also, what about that emergency gas main break that happens right at the end of the 8 hour shift...sorry, we will just have to let it blow gas all night while our machine recharges...or better yet, lets just bring out the spare that has been sitting in the yard just in case there is an emergency (another ~$175 Grand just sitting there). I do believe that in my lifetime they will have plenty of these running around, however, I do not think the technology is there yet. Also, dont believe the zero emission stuff...the electric that charged the batteries came from somewhere, and depending on where, it could have been a real dirty generation process.

  3. #3aighead2020-03-12 15:41

    That seems like a pretty legit question to me... It also brings up an interesting other question, if you are stationary, using the hoe side, could you plug it into a generator, in the field, and have it run forever? I kind of laughed at the "zero emmissions" statement too, @Swetz . It may be great, but you bring up good questions also. Also I think I'm just not a fan of the battery powered stuff. In the correct application? Sure, but it doesn't have to be everywhere and where it doesn't make sense.

  4. #4melben2020-03-12 16:49

    I know for a fact that Case has been looking in that direction for many years, They had consulted with the engineers from the big diesel locomotive industry, not battery at that point but as I said my experience goes back many years ago when we discussed it in a skid steer training session in New Holland Pa, a Case training center at that time. Electric power is great as the motors have maximum torque at low RPMs. I agree that I do not think it will be ideal for the same reasons in other posts, battery life, charging times and as the others have said there is no such thing as zero emissions. That being said, I worked for a Case dealer all my career and as far as I am concerned I watched them consistently perform well in market share over many years,so I will be watching this development. I feel that Case would not have invested in this project if it had no future, Time will tell.

  5. #5Swetz2020-03-12 17:01

    Well, as far as them investing in this project...the government (local, state, and federal) will no doubt buy them by the thousands!! Also, electric utilities that need clean air credits so they can run some of their dirty plants will undoubtedly suck them up whether they work or not, just for the credits (the value of the credits outweigh the ability of the unit to perform...not saying it wont, saying that is not important in the decision making process). Bottom line, they will sell, just like the Volt. I am not sure if that is enough to keep them going (i.e. the volt is gone), but perhaps so.

  6. #6Welder Dave2020-03-12 18:57

    Not for everyone when you need 3 phase power to charge them. What if they go dead on the jobsite and why the different tires? 5 years just to pay off the extra initial cost for electric. How long is battery life and what's a replacement battery worth?

  7. #7Ronsii2020-03-12 19:49

    I wonder if Elon has a Cyberhoe slated for release????

  8. #8AzIron2020-03-12 19:53

    At today's tech I think it's a bit premature but 5 years from now if the tech continues at the current rate it will be better

  9. #992U 34062020-03-12 20:06

    What about remote jobsites? Diesel genset to the rescue!

  10. #10Ronsii2020-03-12 20:08

    That sounds efficient... not I have seen the little hoes like robots for demo they use indoors and run a tether to it.... look cool

  11. #11AzIron2020-03-12 20:09

    You joke I have seen that with electric excavator on remodel jobs cause the power was all gutted from the building

  12. #1292U 34062020-03-12 20:13

    I've been to many jobsites that are 30+ kilometers from a power source, wayyyy out in the sticks.

  13. #13colson042020-03-12 20:17

    I think it is an interesting concept, and in the right situation, could be a very useful machine. I won't have one on the farm or wellsite, but, on a long term construction project, I think some electric machines make sense. Somewhere where the machine would be parked in the same yard for extended periods, and limited use on a per day basis.

  14. #14Bls repair2020-03-12 21:22

    92u. You could put a wind turbine on the roof.

  15. #15Steve Frazier2020-03-12 22:17

    That video was a waste of time in my opinion, all they did was say "We have an electric backhoe, come buy it". From what I can see the hydraulics are extremely slow and I have no idea of the machine speed. They didn't even show how quiet the machine is. A big fail as a marketing tool!!

  16. #16RZucker2020-03-12 22:48

    Solar panels too.

  17. #17Welder Dave2020-03-12 22:58

    Even on a jobsite there isn't likely to be 3 phase power to charge it. The tires look more like road tires than for any serious loader work. They need to do a side by side comparison with a diesel machine to see if it can keep up for an entire 8 hour day. Does the cab use electric heat and does it draw the battery down?

  18. #18mitch5042020-03-12 23:24

    One of the things they kept going back to, was an assertion that backhoes only work 4hrs or so per day, and idle the rest of the time. I wonder how this would do if you tried to bail dirt all day? Also, how many of you guys only work 8 hr days?

  19. #19Ronsii2020-03-12 23:29

    Pretty easy to figure out what it will/can do... once they release the Kw specs on the batt.... case 580M ST = 60 Kw powerplant... even figuring 60 percent of that for usage is 288Kw for the day. But the way I run em' would probably be a bit higher

  20. #20mitch5042020-03-13 00:00

    90 kwh battery, so about 1000 of the batteries I use on my impact wrench. By your figures, not much.

  21. #21Ronsii2020-03-13 00:27

    Of course whenever they make a 'hybrid' or 'EV' they always stretch the numbers by shaving off anything they possibly can like the tires... one example: probably put on some super special low rolling resistance rubber to more than double the 'miles' it can drive on paved roads to give it a great selling point for municipalities and their road work divisions...

  22. #22mitch5042020-03-13 00:39

    Did you see the tires....?

  23. #23Ronsii2020-03-13 00:45

    That's why I said they were probably special... not just turf type or auto at's

  24. #24Swetz2020-03-13 06:13

    Soooo much for the "0" emissions once we roll a diesel powered 3 phase generator out...and what about the emissions to haul the generator to the site, and the fuel truck to keep it full...LOL...ahhh to save the environment

  25. #25cuttin edge2020-03-13 06:41

    electric drive is proven tech, just look at the railroad industry. But these a all driven by a dinosaur driven generator. I could see the electric application on jobs where you are inside. I graded the floor of the local walmart when it was closed in with an old 730 champion. The electricians had to start working nights as the smoke was too bad while I was working

  26. #2692U 34062020-03-13 07:26

    That's where I think the disconnect comes from in a greenie's mind. They see no tailpipe emissions and a wall outlet. They don't see the oil/coal/nuclear powerplant. Or the land impact of a hydroelectric dam.

  27. #27aighead2020-03-13 07:50

    cuttin edge, that's an excellent use case! I built a warehouse at work and though it's not the same we had to go out and rent an electric concrete saw because the fumes from a gas powered one was unacceptable.

  28. #28Swetz2020-03-13 08:41

    Electric forklifts have functioned for ever inside a warehouse in order to keep the air clean. These lifts are bulletproof too....and that was before the battery technology took off. A backhoe that is on a jobsite is a bit different. Again, they will master this, and I dont think it is a bad thing that Case gives it a go...gotta walk before you run. All that being said, runtime is the problem just like all electric cars, and that is why the masses will not flock to this technology until they are comfortable it will serve them well.

  29. #2992U 34062020-03-13 08:58

    My biggest question with electric vehicles/equipment is about the infrastructure to support it. The current power grid will probably need some major upgrades to cope with all the vehicles being charged would it not?

  30. #30Ronsii2020-03-13 09:39

    We use hydraulic saws for when it's inside and especially in confined spaces as they are more compact... except for the hoses. Although you still need ventilation, little while back we were cutting in a new power feed trench in an electrical room... set off the fire alarm didn't even know it cause the fog was so bad

  31. #31Swetz2020-03-13 09:57

    Most battery powered vehicles and equipment are charged during the night...this is the lowest electric demand time so the system will mostly not be overwhelmed...there will be exceptions, of course

  32. #32AusDave2020-03-14 01:15

    I can’t wait until the battery and associated tech improves and is charged by ever cheaper renewable tech. Given the choice between an electric motor with a couple of moving parts and the latest tier-x diesel I know what I’d like. Bring on the electric revolution! In Australia where we have abundant solar and wind resources they’re looking at using hydrogen fuel cells which can get around some of the portability of power problems.

  33. #33AzIron2020-03-20 23:39

    I am curious how it would do in high heat in warehouse remodel in an AZ summer those things are boil boxes at best it will be an interesting concept moving forward One thing came to mind when we were looking for a small mini to do TI work we looked at electric another contractor here has an electric mini that's about 5 years old not battery but electric and its gutless and slow and expensive to buy if the electric machines dont perform on par with diesel for 10 hours a day or come in much cheaper witch i doubt there is very little room in the market for them I would be curious how much of the r an d budget they have dedicated to this and how much that works into new machines being made now sometimes I think if these manufacturers would stop trying to be so late and great they could charge a lot less money for a machine