I am looking to buy an older equipment trailer that now has electric brakes. Can someone give me an approximate price to have this converted to air? It is about an 18 ton trailer, 2 axle oil bath, bud wheels. Nice older trailer to pull be hind my Dump. I may be able to get it for around 3 or 4 grand. Thanks
I am not sure, but I think you would probably be better off by swapping out the axles with ones with air brakes, then plumb the trailer, it is going to be expensive though, I would think:beatsme. One thing to consider is wiring up an electric brake controller in your truck and using the electric brakes. My personal dump truck has this set up as well as the dump trucks at my day job. It also depends on what you are going to carry on the trailer on how comfortable you will be pulling it. For the money you could try it, then sell later and buy one with air brakes?
I tend to agree with Red Bank, in the long run I believe the conversion would be more costly than buying a trailer originally equipped with air brakes.
Well that is kinda what I was wondering guys. Would I need the same type of electric controller that say is used in a pickup? Or are these different. I am just having a problem finding a used trailer like this with air brakes. I have seen a couple of older ones like this for about 9,000$ I can buy a new one for 13-14$.
I would recommend staying away from the hi-tech automated brake controllers and get a cheaper one with a slide control that is easily adjustable. If you already have a 7-way or 6-way plug on the rear of the truck you are ahead of the game. You can buy a wiring harness for the controller that makes it easier to install. But you will still have to run the blue wire back to your trailer receptacle.
Do not get one made for a pickup, etc. You need to get a air actuated brake controller like the old Kelsey Hayes models. Did a quick search and the one you need is a Hayes #100400B. And is basically the same as the old Kelsey Hayes, since they were puchased by Lucas back in the 90's. http://www.hayesbc.com/air%20actuated.html
You must be looking at an 18K pound trailer not an 18 ton trailer, an 18 ton would more than likely have air brakes. I don't know what you will be pulling the trailer with, other than it has air brakes or what you need to haul, but there are several 20T tags w/ air for sale in the $7-10K range. Check this out http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...ER&PG=2&guid=57CCB30338D7481EBEC7FD0881375F41 I would suggest just buying a trailer with air brakes, especially since they are available and cheap. I have one of these http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=1073660&guid=57CCB30338D7481EBEC7FD0881375F41 and I have been happy with it. We shop fab'd some hydraulic ramps for it. I bought a Betterbuilt because the factory is located an hour away. Parts and service are convienent, although I have not needed any.
This is definitly not an 18k trailer. It is way heavier than that. A construction company has it. They bought a few of these at the time about an 1982 yr trailer. They converted the rest to air, but have this one left. They are not using it anymore, and told me to make them an offer. I will be using it to haul my backhoe, and some rental equipment. I know a 10 ton is plenty for my hoe, but I just want a bigger trailer. Thanks for all the help! I will check out the air controller. I may just wait, and keep looking. I really want air on the trailer.
I tried to get one of those for my truck a couple years ago. IIRC they were very expensive and no one would install it into the brake system. I ended up putting in a Prodigy like everyone else.
it is probably a 12ton trl. I do a lot of trl repair so I recomend and sell the draw-tite activator 2 or activator3 brake controler easy hook up trouble free and mounts anywhere [ even upsidedown&backwards] just make sure you run heavy enough wire from controler to trl, like 10ga. wire
and like ORCHARD EX said stay away from that style, old technolgy,is not always the best choice
Joining, I have to put an electric brake controller in my dump too, and just want to make sure i dont miss any hints tips or advice if this fella does his
I put an air/electric in my Mack to pull my trailer. I started with the std pickup truck version(I had it), but it sux really bad as it would not be proportional to my brake effort. Going down a long grade you had to constantly let off the brake more then I wanted as the trailer would suddenly start to grab hard. It would "ramp up" power the longer you held it on. Here is what I have: http://www.lowcosttrailersupplies.com/Trailer_Parts/a-1300-80.html Works great. Plumbed it into my foot treadle valve and ran power to/from it. Simple.
you probably did not have the sync. switch adjusted right. I have installed the draw-tite in T/T that pull 53 foot race car trls. with 4 axle elect brakes just working off of brake light wire signal not plumbed into air syst.
That's the problem with the cheap "time/ramp-up" type controllers. The proportional accelerometer type controllers are much better. On the air controller that you installed - did you put the check valves in the system? It looked like a real PITA for a dual air system according to the schematic. :beatsme
Biggest electric trailer I have scene is a 30,000 GVWR. I know since about mid 80's or earlier they were not allowed to make a electric trailer over 30. Check out the tires on the trailer and that will give you the max trailer GVWR. I would think swapping axles is $$$$$$ and trailers seem to be cheap now like all equipment.
I am holding out for now. There seems to be some Air Brake trailers showing up now. With the Economy tanking maybe there will be more. Not that this is a good thing.