Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Never Seen This Before

D3B Dave ยท 2008-11-29 18:12

Leaving town this morning I saw this pulled over by a Highway Patrol. I sure would like to have been a fly in that Patrol car.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies22
  1. #1curly2008-11-29 18:40

    Gee I don't see anything wrong!

  2. #2Polar Bear2008-11-29 19:00

    No I dont se enything wron but it is not ok in Iceland only one for efri truck :drinkup / Polar Bear

  3. #3roddyo2008-11-30 01:21

    What's Wrong with this Picture??? I say no wide load permit and no doubles endorsement.:beatsme

  4. #4LowBoy2008-11-30 05:23

    If it were me hauling that contraption, I'd have done it in the dark. You're in trouble either way...might as well be under the cover of darkness to drop the chance of getting seen by Johnny Law.

  5. #5mikef872008-11-30 07:59

    I second that, although Boston, Mass has a D.O.T cop on at night. But for rest of the state, your on your own.

  6. #6celticcrusader2008-11-30 21:42

    aren't farmers exempt?

  7. #7bigblueox2008-11-30 23:42

    i think its an case of dumbcop. i've seen custom harvesters with rigs like that before. most have tri-axle trucks with combine trailers with head cart pups or 4 axel dumps with combine trailers and small garin pups.

  8. #8Lashlander2008-12-01 02:06

    Jeez guys, maybe he was speeding, maybe he pulled over for some reason and the officer stopped to see if he needed assistance, maybe the driver is the officers spouse and they pulled over for a little romance. I could go on and on but its all speculation at this point. I sure hope none of you ever see me pulled over by the police. LOL!!:laugh

  9. #9WColtharp2008-12-02 13:23

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgcjVn10VGM&feature=related In the link above at 6:50 in the video you'll see the exact same setup much closer. It made sense when I got a close up view of this combination. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHNGMRxuEw&feature=channel In this second video you can see some more examples.

  10. #10curly2008-12-02 15:29

    Don't worry, we all know that sheep lie....alot.:drinkup

  11. #11Lashlander2008-12-02 21:28

    Huhhh???

  12. #12Dualie2008-12-02 22:33

    I would think as long as his state allows long combination vehicles that would seem to be an almost legal load. Now I don't think I have ever heard of Long combination vehicles being allowed to run over width and height. But their are some weird arse laws on the books that allow all kind of crazy shenanigans for farm related transport. I think my favorite part of that first video is the brigadier gain hauler with the 8V Detroit in it leaving from the stop sign pulling the combine on the pintle trailer. Winding that strait piped Detroit out grabbing every gear in her ALMOST makes me miss the old days.

  13. #13newbie2008-12-02 23:19

    "Implements of Husbandry" i.e. farm equipment are allowed to go overwidth. Some states want you buy a cheapy overwidth permit to haul a combine on the interstate. Just depends on what state.

  14. #14Bellboy2008-12-02 23:21

    Well, I see nothing wrong with that set up, except the length. I wouldn't try that, but there is a haulage contractor who works for our JCB dealers here, and they use interlink combinations to transport three 3CX's, one on the interlink, the other two on the actual lowbed trailer. they also transport Massey Ferguson tractors, maybe four or five little ones at a go. Just that that is a very long interlink! And on those YouTubes, I like that "toys" of the harvestor. Very cute. And after paying close attention, You see that those are not full lowbed trailers they're using. They look very small for those combines, though, and then they put a grain pup behind it.

  15. #15Dualie2008-12-03 00:49

    the lowbed trailers still apear to be atleast 28-30 feet. They are only single axles though. and in one video their pulling the combine on the one trailer and the header trailer behind that. That would put them over 90 ft bumper to bumper i would think

  16. #16roddyo2008-12-03 03:44

    Combine Weight I don't know about a Case but a New Holland Combine weighs about 37,000 lbs. But with Duals it's close to 17 feet wide.

  17. #17Deere96702008-12-04 17:58

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVjXwS8HzFw I think you will like this then!:drinkup

  18. #18Dualie2008-12-05 02:11

    In 2:30 second bursts it is music that brings back a lot of memories. Most of them involve that infernal sound reverberating in my ears though many a nights sleep. Not to mention the defining roar in the cab during the waking hours spent in the cab

  19. #19changexlt2008-12-17 23:35

    If you want to see more pics of setups like that. Go to Johnson Harvesting . com They have pictures of the past few years. Should be able to find the Trucks section or moving sections in the various years. It's done all the time by them.

  20. #20thejdman042008-12-20 19:59

    Certain states, that is legal

  21. #21farminHard2009-01-20 22:56

    In Missouri, a farmer transporting his/her own equip. from one farm to another has absolutely no restrictions on height, weight, width or length. No permits required. CDL is not required, so long as the vehicle is labeled "Not For Hire" & has the little yellow "F"(farm) tag on the plate. Has to be driven by the owner or an immediate family member. A hired hand is required to have a CDL. Thanks to a very "Agriculture Minded" State Rep. I realize this guy's situation is impossible to read from just one photo, but I just thought I'd give my :my2c

  22. #22Deerehauler2009-03-25 00:32

    Although I haul Deere combines, they are all about the same. I load combines on the trailer backwards for several reasons. First of all, the windshield on the combine faces backwards, so I don't have to worry about a rock or something else taking out a $800+ windshield. Secondly, on a combine WITHOUT a head and it's engine in back, the rear of the combine is heavier than the front. I want more weight on my tractor half of the trailer than the trailer half. A combine is also slightly more aerodynamic when transported backwards, and every little bit helps. Most of my customers have duals on their machines with 30" row spacing. The combines that Johnson Harvesting use have the fat single tires, which end up being about 13'-14' wide. With duals on 30" spacing the center of the outside duals are 15' apart, which makes the overall width around 17' wide, as noted above. With the duals toward the rear of the trailer, I am much more able to see both outside wheels without moving my mirrors. This also allows me to better see vehicles following me. I will not haul a combine that has duals on 36" row spacing--the duals are 18' wide at wheel center, yielding 20' overall width. I pull a Palamino(formerly Wilson) MUV-ALL and with the sides fully extended the trailer is 13' wide. The inside duals are 12' apart on center so that means the only the inside 6" of the inside dual would be on the outside rail of my slide-outs. NO WAY IS THIS SAFE AND I WON'T DO IT!!!! Luckily most farmers are phasing out 36" row spacings, so this is becoming less and less of an issue.