Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Electrical Help

swamphox · 2025-07-06 08:50

There are so many categories to go to in this space and electrical falls in to just about all of them. I have an old bucket truck with an electrical boom/bucket. A relay is giving me intermittent problems with the bucket. Where in this huge forum should I look for guidance to help me resolve the problem? Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1Coaldust2025-07-06 17:08

    I was resisting posting but Ohm my goodness. So much potential, in this thread. Or, perhaps it’s a phase worth pursuing?

  2. #2cuttin edge2025-07-06 17:58

    I see what you did there

  3. #3swamphox2025-07-06 19:37

    ?

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-07-06 19:40

    He was being funny. A few more details might get more response

  5. #5Camshawn2025-07-06 20:28

    If a relay is causing problems, replace it. Without a wiring diagram, I am just shooting in the dark. If you changed the relay (swapped with a working one) and the problem is still there, then you need to look at what makes the relay turn on. It could be a broken wire or bad connection. The manufacturer should be able to supply a wiring diagram based on the serial number of the unit.

  6. #6Simon C2025-07-06 20:58

    Most boom trucks have some solenoids that control some hydraulic functions. Dirty connections on the solenoids, Dirty ground connections, Dirty ground cables, Dirty battery connections, dirty body grounds at front of cab, any dirty connections is a good place to start. Control cable connections in hand control. Simon C

  7. #7swamphox2025-07-07 06:57

    I appreciate the responses. I was able to find someone in the forum here that had solved the exact same problem. Thanks