Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Electrical issue

kakkenmc ยท 2020-08-29 20:57

Hello, My LB75b will still try to turn over even when my battery is completely disconnected. There is not quite enough juice and it just clicks the solenoid. How is that? Is there some capacitor somewhere? I discovered this while disconnecting everything in an attempt to diagnosis my rapid parasitic drain. My battery drains over night and the alternator (new one and old one) do not show more than 12.5 volts when the tractor is running. In fact, my voltmeter shows a steady loss while the engine is running.

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-08-29 21:08

    Welcome to HEF, Kakkenmc ! That is not possible. Unless you have a two battery system ? LB75's can have one big battery or two smaller ones. Are the cables connected to the correct posts ? Pos. cable on pos. post ? Just because you put new alternator on, it could be defective.

  2. #2Delmer2020-08-29 21:09

    not possible that I can imagine. engine is not running, right? I'd start by finding the drain you know you have already, and/or figuring out why the alternators wouldn't work. Must be another battery hooked up, solar charger maybe? tracking device hooked up wrong? Trace the wire that has the amp draw, and you'll probably find it...

  3. #3kakkenmc2020-08-29 21:56

    I also thought it was not possible. You read right. When my big battery up front is completely disconnected, and my engine is off, my ignition switch acts as if I have a second nearly dead battery. When I hook the fully charged big battery up front, it cranks right up but the alternators doesn't keep up with the drain (I am not sure the alternator is producing yet). I will go searching for second battery I did not know it had. I'm hoping that could be a drain source.

  4. #4NH575E2020-08-29 22:45

    Not sure in the LB but the earlier version with dual batteries had them stacked. Look under your battery and see if you find another one.

  5. #5hosspuller2020-08-29 23:06

    Two lead acid batteries in parallel can self discharge. The stronger battery charges the weaker until the ratio is changed. Then the formerly weaker battery charges the formerly stronger battery. This is the reason to replace dual batteries in matched pairs. More detailed info at link: >>> https://batteryguy.com/kb/knowledge-base/connecting-batteries-in-parallel/

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-08-29 23:24

    Yes, the LB's have a cold weather starting system that consist of two batteries stacked. There would be a battery under the tray that the top battery sits on.

  7. #7Swetz2020-08-30 08:11

    I am sure NH575E has hit the nail on the head. In my 675E, it looks as though there is only one battery too. Once you remove the battery and the battery tray, there is another battery below.

  8. #8kakkenmc2020-08-31 18:54

    Thank all of you very much! My manual says nothing about a second battery. I found the second battery fairly well hidden under the top tray. It was obvious the prior owner did not change it when he changed the last battery also. Now my alternator (the unnecessary new one) works and I think the battery drain is gone. I am just using the one battery since it as a big one that replaced the unnecessarily big one that was placed when there were two batteries.