Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Electrical Issues with HM416

HardWoodHauler ยท 2025-08-03 19:37

2022 CAT 299D3 with HM 416 mulching head. While mulching, a bundle of brush in the drum smacked the harness of high flow hydraulic hoses and wiring harness. I noticed an issue when the gate opened past its normal open limit, the aux tool functions for the gate stopped working and I stopped mulching. The 20 amp work tool fuse was burnt so I replaced that and repaired the wiring harness (which I believe shorted out and caused the gate to open past its normal limit burning up the fuse). After bleeding the hydraulics for the gate to get it back within normal range. I tested the attachment, the highflow & gate open function works but not the gate close function. I was unable to operate the gate to close with the Aux 3 function on the right joystick (bottom right button) but it would open. I tested the "C" pin connection (pin used in Aux 3) from the machine side and it's working properly... so i'm convinced it is the attachment that is having the issues. Hard to find information on how the mulching head works either from the internet or from CAT. There's 4 pins that connect to the machines' 14 pin coupler. The attachment has two solenoids for hydraulic control. Theres 6 pins in the harness (only 4 are used) two solenoid coils for the gate and one for the high flow. Any ideas how to remedy the gate function?

Replies1
  1. #1HardWoodHauler2025-08-13 12:48

    Solution: After testing the continuity and voltage on PINS which checked out fine, I switched the functioning switch btw solenoid coils and was able to determine nothing mechanically wrong. Bit the bullet and bought a new harness and it fixed the issue.