Does anyone have experience with ordering parts from China? I priced an AC controller at my Komatsu dealer and it was nearly $800. I happened to check on-line and I located the same part made by the same company for $195 from multiple sellers (including some eBay sellers). All the ones I've seen are coming straight out of China. It states on the eBay listing that import duties, taxes and customs clearance fees are not included in the price. Have any of you gone through this process? Does anyone know what these fees could total up to? Thanks in advance for the help!
Most Chinese sellers are phone/email banks with catalogs, not the actual vendors, but most are dependable in terms of sending you what you order. I've been buying large and small volumes from all over Asia for the last ten years or more and have yet to be burned on anything, other than the occasional quality issue. Post up the part number and let me see what I can find out, if Mottrol in California has it, or one of the warehouses in Florida, you might pay a little more, but it's more reliable and faster, and they've already cleared customs and paid all the shipping, duty, tariffs, etc.
It’s a classic “you get what you pay for” scenario. Most of the time it’s just copied junk from my experience.
Mostly true, but Komatsu has several manufacturing plants in China to supply their needs, not at all unlikely electronic parts are genuine but bootlegged from the same suppliers that are feeding the OEM plants. YMMV
The exhaust manifold for the JCB 436 was great! Had an N14 leaking oil from the sending unit for the gauge. Ordered one from a dealer and shocked at the $195 cost. Searched the part number and ordered one from a major online outlet for $40. It was in a box with oriental type markings. Opened it up and they looked identical. Both made in Mexico with the same part number on them. Totally identical and had to wander if the dealer was doing us that bad. Put it in and life was good until the next day. Started it up and the oil gauge pegged out. While checking this out the gauge would do different things at different times with just the key on or engine running. Installed the one from the Cummins box and it still works great 2 years later. Could list two more cases but I am done with that. Do not have time for that crap.
I appreciate the help! The part I'm looking at is an AC Controller, Komatsu part number 17A-979-3180.
Not much out there, I'm waiting for a response from overseas but it's a holiday week over there. You might try: MPC Global Kansas City, Kansas (217) 280-4444
Tried a cheap aftermarket MAF sensor for a 6.0L Vortec. Ran worse than with the failed AC Delco sensor. Put the genuine part in, ran like a top.
Electrical Parts from China Reminds me of a line from an episode of Two and a Half Men - "Why Charlie.? Why.?" in answer to Tenwheeler - Remember they are extremely good at copying packaging to the extent that even OEM people have difficulty distinguishing between a genuine OEM box and a knock-off Chinese one. If that's the case then why would anyone imagine that they'd have any trouble making the part that's inside the box look 100% exactly like an original OEM part..?
Exactly correct, they call it "High copy" and are sometimes smart enough to refuse to ship to the US. Apparently in their culture it is or has become, perfectly acceptable.
What’s the old saying.? “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery.”
Thanks again! I'll give them a shout tomorrow. I called a couple of places here in the states today and all places had used controllers for about half the price of a new one with a 30 day warranty. It sounds tempting, but the thought of possibly having to pay another $800 after the warranty is up after that month sort of makes a feller want to just bite the bullet and buy it new.
I appreciate all the feedback fellers. I get where y'all are coming from about getting what you pay for and I've been there myself. With the possibility of a $600 savings, I had to ask the question! Thanks again!
Never buy used electronics....it rarely is worth it. You would be money ahead to by that part new.