Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

elevator chain jd 762 scraper

701pilot ยท 2016-10-19 20:05

Is there a trick to breaking the elevator chain? I need to remove some links to keep chain sufficiently tightened to prevent jumping idlers and sprockets. I have removed the pins but have not been able to hammer, pry, or move the link pins. Even tried a gear puller and lots of PB Blaster to get it to move, but no luck. Any suggestions?

Replies5
  1. #1RZucker2016-10-19 22:13

    2 sledgehammers, a 20# as a back up on the pin head side and a 12# to drive the pin. be prepared to grind the end of the pin if it mushrooms a bit.

  2. #2typ42016-10-19 23:02

    What he said, but leave the keeper in. And if its worn that bad it will still climb off, I used to maintain 4 of these.

  3. #3br14742016-10-27 21:30

    I am assuming your doing this on the master link right?

  4. #4RZucker2016-10-28 21:23

    Elevator chain does not normally use a master link. All the pin links are the same except the attachment links for the flights and they normally use the same pins. And I have done a ton of chain work in 40 years. My favorite chain tool was a 25 ton OTC "C" press to get the pins moving, then they would usually tap out. But you had to hang the press on the Autocrane, it was heavy.

  5. #5Scrub Puller2016-10-29 00:04

    Yair . . . Can't ever remember too much trouble if you heat the links cherry red. Was mostly around Johnston 621's and a 333FT . . . they ended up with D4 chain on the Wabco. Cheers.