We just looked at a John Deere 9520t with a 15 yard pan. We currently have 3 613 and a old Michigan 110-15. The Deere is a newer tractor for a decent price, no leaks clean machine. What are your guys opinions on this machine, the ag tractor and pan is a new concept to us, any disadvantages or advantages to this setup.
Have never pulled a pan with a JD, but every farmer that runs green around here says the 9520 is the best tractor made before the 9560R. You have to be careful with tracked ag tractors. They do not appreciate slopes, and do not tolerate rocks very well. I am pretty careful with my 95E, and and I have about 1500 hours on my belts and one is on borrowed time, have a bunch of cables broke. A 9520T is quite a bit more expensive tractor then my Cat, for it to pull its weight you're going to want it to gross at least $3000 per day, however that works out per yard. You are also going to want a GOOD operator, a bad one could kill your belts or transmission quick. These type of rigs can move some dirt, but are not as forgiving as a self-propelled scraper.
Thanks for all the info. It will mostly be me running this machine, it comes with all the laser equipment, so I can grade and haul at the same time. I put all my new operators on the 613s for them to learn on.
Having spent a fair amount of time wrenching on an AG tractor built to pull scrapers I agree that a good operator can move some dirt. A poor one will make work for a mechanic. They have their place I suppose. Big open areas where you don't have to make tight turns or back up like we do on bridge jobs. On the reclaims it works good. It's worked about 50/50 as a scraper and being loaded with a hoe. I'd sure want whatever history they have on it for repairs, maybe some oil samples etc. Junkyard
Since you are new to the Pull Pan concept and located in California, I'd suggest giving Chris Galloway a call at Pioneer Machinery in Woodland, CA. He's got a wealth of knowledge to help you identify what would be effective in your dirt.