Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Emergency Repair on 740

ship 660 ยท 2015-12-03 20:43

Guy called in a panic today needing a fast repair. He called the local CAT house and they told him 2 weeks. Called a machine shop CAT recommended they told him 3 weeks because 2 machinist where on vacation. Called me and I told him bring it in take about a day maybe two. I put two of my students to work on it when He dropped it off. I would say they did a pretty good job for 3 hours work. Should be able to finish it in the morning. Not sure what a shop would charge for the job but the customer should be happy with our price of FREE!!!!

Replies16
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-12-03 20:55

    It would be nice if he would make a donation of supplies or something that your students could use in the shop. I think its great when students can do meaninful work. Hopefullt they can follow up to see how it holds up.

  2. #2ship 6602015-12-03 21:03

    I asked him to make a donation to a fundraiser the kids are doing. Its for buying Christmas presents for less fortunate kids. He is more then willing.

  3. #3Huntoon2015-12-04 12:53

    That's really cool. What's your school and what are you teaching? Thanks

  4. #4ship 6602015-12-04 18:30

    I teach Diesel Mechanics at Herndon Career Center in Raytown MO. Mostly junior and senior high school students. Mostly try to educate them on construction equipment and Heavy trucks.

  5. #5old-iron-habit2015-12-04 22:32

    Sounds like you got a good bunch of students. Good teachers make good students. My hat goes off to you and your fellow teachers. It would be cool to have an education thread where the mechanical/working trades students could participate by posting about what they are learning and working on. Could probably teach us older geezers a thing or two also.

  6. #6lantraxco2015-12-05 14:12

    Glad to hear you're teaching trade work, here in Oregon they have abandoned anything useful in pursuit of making all young people either nurses aides or welfare recipients with six figure student loans. Good on ya!

  7. #7Oxbow2015-12-05 16:23

    I hear you Lantraxco. Perhaps now with the decline of available work for college graduates that hold a liberal arts degree, vocational education might gain acceptance and lose some of the stigma. Besides, when a Phd. has his toilet plug up, the most important education in the world is that of a plummer!.

  8. #8Jim D2015-12-05 20:58

    That's true! Just imagine how it is in Californika...

  9. #9Jim D2015-12-05 21:04

    No. They'll march in the streets, socialize media while drinking in starbucks, and goof-off every other way they can find, but they will never actually *work*.

  10. #10Jim D2015-12-05 21:06

    Excellent work! I wish that I was near you...

  11. #11tool_king2015-12-06 14:26

    Awsome work .Always nice to great .Make sure they keep up the great work.

  12. #12ship 6602015-12-06 20:45

    Thank you, I have been teaching here 10 years now and seems the students keep getting better. I do encourage them to go to a post secondary school after high school. We have a great school in mid -Missouri where a lot of students choose to go. Cat, International, John Deere, and Case are some of the companies hiring these kids on a paided internship through college. They go to school for 8 weeks their job for 8 weeks. Getting the best of both worlds.

  13. #13nowing752015-12-08 14:58

    Ship660 are you talking about the think big program that cat offers. Sounds like a good deal but not many know if it

  14. #14ship 6602015-12-08 19:34

    Thats one of the programs I am talking about. State Technical School of Missouri has the Think Big Program and Summit Truck group offers their International program. Case,Kobelco, and Komatsu offer internships through the heavy equipment program. With only 14 Think Big Programs in the US not surprising many haven't heard of it. Pittsburgh State University in Kansas also offers the Think Bigger Program. It's geared towards management for those who have been through the Think Big program. Of course Southeast Community College in Milford Nebraska has an excellent John Deere program as well.

  15. #15JD955SC2015-12-09 00:11

    I'm in Think Big and it's good stuff for sure, really enjoying it. Just one more semester to go.

  16. #16lantraxco2015-12-09 02:37

    Hate to sound like an old phart but I wish they had had programs like that when I was coming up.... Oh well, can't relive your life.