Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

employer help with CV/ resume

chris-law ยท 2008-11-28 06:35

hi all something i have been meaning to do for quite a while is write a CV/ resume but never got round to it as i have never found the need to, times may be getting tight though so its about time i made one up. does anyone have a copy of one i can get some ideas from to make my own , or is there any employers out there thac can give me some tips on what they would like to see in one , ore even better if they have a good sample of one (minus personal details ) that i could see. thanks for any help chris

Replies11
  1. #1landrvrnut222008-11-28 18:01

    Send me a PM with your email. I got professional help with mine before I graduated from College. It will give you a template to start.

  2. #2chris-law2008-11-30 06:26

    pm sent, thanks

  3. #3AtlasRob2008-11-30 08:18

    Try this link to give you some ideas. http://www.cvtips.com/CV_example.html Tried to find a copy of mine to send you but think it must be on an old now dead computer.

  4. #4Bellboy2008-12-01 00:43

    Maybe being really thick here, but don't you get taught how to write one in school? On the same issue, if you think putting together a CV is hard, try doing it in Zulu. For our end of year exams, we had to do one, and a covering letter. Now that was challenging! Basically, you put all your names, surnames, ID numbers, contact details, DOB, gender, age, marital status, drivers licences, etc, then you put a short list of accomplishments, employers, duration of employment, schooling, qualifications, etc, and then a list of references, ie: college lecturers, former employers, etc. Hope this helps.

  5. #5hoop2008-12-01 01:52

    I use the Virginia Tech career services web site whenever I have job search questions. It has been extremely helpful for me as they base much of there examples, tips, etc. around engineering. It is much better than my school's career center. http://www.career.vt.edu/

  6. #6chris-law2008-12-01 03:48

    never heard of a cv when I was at school , 24 years ago when I left . never found the need to have one either , just want to be prepared for the future and most of the ones I found are not plant/civil engineering oriented . should I make it simple or should I be listing all types of work I have done and have experience in. thanks chris

  7. #7AtlasRob2008-12-03 16:21

    In my opinion DONT list all the plant operated. Name Address DOB Centres of Education..........secondry school & address any additional education ............ Marital Status Qualification eg O, A levels city & guilds yes I know I'm the same CPCS card & state exc, dozer, loading shovels as held DO NOT list each machine. If first aider or abrasive wheels or anything else put it in Driving licence if held and what ie, Full clean. Then present employer, name address and description of duties you undertook. eg. Operation of single wheel twin handled wheelbarrow on customers site. Duties included movement of sand, bricks and other materials as required. Responsible for daily safety checking and lubrication of barrow ensuring any faults were logged and reported through the companies plant dept. Liason with clients site manager/foreman to ensure optimum utility of the barrow and placement of materials. If there was something unusual about the site eg it was a nuclear bunker, or fuel depot mention it. In your line of work most of the sites were prob unusual. You need to show at least 5yrs that checkable if you can show 10yrs without having to list 32 different employers then go for it. What are your aims, ambitions. If you want to emigrate to ***** in 2010 or get married and start a family say so but dont write an essay, couple of paragraphs is plenty. You should get it on 2 A4 pages. Hope this helps Rob.

  8. #8CoastIndustrial2008-12-03 18:05

    Make sure you dont make a general resume. Tailor your CV and resume to highlite points in your work experience that are most appropriate for the specific company and job you're applying for. Make sure you also point out specific things you did that earned the business money or prevented loss. Employers love to see that.

  9. #9chris-law2008-12-04 00:33

    thanks for the help guys:drinkup, as for school rob , i left as soon as i possibly could and started work the nex day

  10. #10swampdog2008-12-04 09:55

    The above posts include a lot of good advice, but I'll add my two bits worth anyway. I've written a few resumes, for myself and others. I have two versions of my resume. One is three or four pages long, while the other is only one page long. I do various contract jobs that may last from a few days to a few years. Which resume I use depends on the situation. You might want to look at a well written resume to get an idea of the things to include. Then adapt that to your needs, adding or removing sections to make it work. In other words, make an outline that includes all the important areas that you need to cover. Break the resume into sections, using bold type in a slightly larger font for the titles and subtitles. Use "bullets" to list your points in each section. Most word processing programs, like Microsoft Word, make it easy to use bullets. If you don't have a word processing program on your computer, ask a friend who does have one to help you. Keep the resume short and to the point, stressing your relevant qualifications. An employer who is looking for a loader operator, for example, mainly wants to know why he/she should hire you as a loader operator. But be sure to briefly list your work experience and the length of time that you have remained at the jobs. Most employers want reliable employees who will stick with the job for an extended period of time. Don't leave big time gaps in your resume. And list your education; school does help teach people how to think. Also briefly list any volunteer activities that you might be involved in. Employers like employees who are willing to go the extra mile and who don't run off when five o'clock comes around. Choose your references carefully and provide their phone numbers and addresses. If possible, list two or three employers that know you well and will say good things about you. Listing your cousin, best friend, or neighbor doesn't usually work too well. If you don't have a lot of confidence in your writing skills, ask a friend or relative who can write well to look over the rough draft of the resume. Even though the employer probably won't hire you for your ability to write, a well organized and well written resume helps make a good impression.

  11. #11AtlasRob2008-12-06 15:20

    10 out of 10 swampdog, all the things I should have said and didnt. VERY good advise, I agree 100% :drinkup