Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

End bits

EZ TRBO ยท 2009-03-25 22:02

Having some issues finding the HEAVY DUTY cast end bits for a Semi U blade on a Dresser TD-15C. Our Dresser dealer says they can't find them anymore, just the "light" edges which don't last for nothing. I did find one guy that said he could get some but it would be 5 to 6 weeks out and $250per bit. Just wondering if anyone knows of any place to locate OEM or aftermarket bits. I'm going to call a few more places in the morning see what happens. Thanks Trbo

Replies15
  1. #1td25c2009-03-29 13:06

    Try www.scohn.com .They keep alot of cutting edge parts.

  2. #2AusDave2009-03-30 06:06

    Weld on cutting edges When I used to have a couple of Dozers, I bought heavy duty, cast, weld on end bit edges. Just get a size to suit your existing end bits and sit down with the welder for a while with some good rods/wire and weld 'em on. The ones I was able to get at the time were much heavier duty castings than a new corner bit, lasted better and cost less:thumbsup Regards AusDave

  3. #3D6 Merv2009-04-03 03:47

    Esco make cutting edges for most dozer blades. They also make a toothed corner tip with a pin on tooth, which is very good for foretry roading work. International Harvester made a exellent designed blade in my opinion, and I,m sure there semi U design on TD15Cs was a better blade than the straight blade on a D6C. I,ve even seen at least 3 D6Cs here in NZ that there owners fitted TD15 blades to, to improve there performance. I even have a TD15 angle blade for my D6D which I sometimes swap if I need to sidecast. Cheers Merv:drinkup

  4. #4RDG2009-04-04 04:23

    I would have to agree with Merv, having spent close to 20,000hrs on TD 15 Cs they had the best shaped semi U blade in the industry along with 20 ,25B &C. I worked in a quarry down Matamata on a 155 where they used to rebuild the corner tips with Bisalloy or something similar, lasted heaps longer than the genuine tips.

  5. #5EZ TRBO2009-04-04 07:02

    We have had 4 different 15C's in the past 35 years, two where still IH and the other two were Dresser. I know both Dressers have over 20K on them and I'm sure the old IH's were the same when we got rid of them, very good machines. Even had one of the quarry supers the other day call me and tell me that WOW that 15 will out move that D6H, I said yes I had been trying to tell you that since I started here. Trbo

  6. #6EZ TRBO2009-04-04 07:04

    Did finally get a hold of one of my other dealers and gave him my numbers and he did find me my heavy duty hot cupped end bits. Had found them elsewhere but for an OUTRAGEOUS price. Told him to order me TWO sets so I have them. Trbo

  7. #7D6 Merv2009-04-20 19:52

    This is a pic of my D6D with a TD15B angle blade on it, it has the toothed Esco end bits on it. Cheers

  8. #8EZ TRBO2009-04-21 21:52

    Nice looking machine. I've been asked all the time why we never ran CAT's. For that size my dad and uncle just didn't like the feel of them or how they ran. I'm not knocking CAT, I'm sure most just came from NOT being on them much and its hard to change, more so when you like how your machine is set up. I'm the sam way now, I'd rather get on the 15 over the 6H ANYDAY. Trbo

  9. #9CatSkinner77V2009-04-22 07:19

    haha, your dad and uncle were smart men. I always found operating those D6D's to be alot like trying to "fornicate with a soft member" never really worked out too well for me.:lmao

  10. #10D6 Merv2009-04-23 18:12

    Hi trbo. Always interesting to hear other peoples opinions of there dozers. I never heard abad word about TD15Cs the few people I know who had them really liked them. I do think they had a definite advantage in there planetary final drive. Interesting to see that cats new electric D7E has a final drive/track frame that is a copy of a TD15/20 from the 70s. A few guys here also ran Allis HD11EP and series B dozers and they certainlly performed well, parts be a problem now tho. I like my cats because I know what makes them tic internally as I did a mechanics apprenticeship with them at the cat dealer here. 77V I.d be interested why you dislike D6Ds ?? Ive done alot of work with mine in alot of steep country and its performed well. Only fault it does have, is it could do with abit more weight on its nose as does get abit light climbing up steep. And once I found myself having to back up a hill it wouldn,t climb forward. Cheers Merv.

  11. #11EZ TRBO2009-04-24 19:03

    Mev, I will say I belive most of the dis like came from LACK of time on the machine more than anything. You know how people are. I was much that way when we rented a brand new scraper a few years ago, one day and I wanted to run the old one, but after about a week in it non stop I loved it. I do find tha I feel less secure on the 6H we have as apposed to the 15C, although I know they tip angle and such both meet the gov't standard for the military. I have most of my time on the 15 and just know more about it and how it will react to doing certain things. ALot of guys I have talked to that have been on a number of different dozers LOVE the old CAT 7's. Talk bout nose light, the late 70's JD 850's were nose HEAVY, where as the 15's have always seemed like a very well balanced machine. I'd love to chat more on the subject but the right hand is a lil slow after being smashed yesterday. trbo

  12. #12surfer-joe2009-04-24 22:57

    Having considerable time on D6D's and TD15's, the TD15 to me is much the better dozer of the two. I liked the power and quickness of HD11's, but they weren't built very heavy and something was always breaking. I would recommend the Esco bits. They are usually more expensive, but I've always found they lasted longer as well.

  13. #13CatSkinner77V2009-04-30 21:01

    For the exact reason as you stated, they are light on the nose. Seems like you have to actually try to get the blade into the ground with a slight down pressure. Blade just seems too light for the size of it, another thing I dislike is the screaming 3406 in them, any kind of high production dozing it seems to just suck back the fuel for the amount of work its doing. For the over all clumsyness of them as well, I can be just as precise with a D8... and get 4 times as much done in a day at the same time.

  14. #14Bayou Cat2009-05-07 13:11

    D6d Caterpillar D6D is powered by a 3306

  15. #15CatSkinner77V2009-05-08 01:13

    right, thats what i meant, just the same, the 3306 is not my personal favorite. just like little 4 cylinders they put in the D5H's.... like what were they thinking?