Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine issue

Hoshaft · 2018-09-23 17:59

I have an 09' Hitachi 270 with the ah-4hk1xysa-03 isuzu engine that has started smoking upon start up. Its pouring white smoke out that seams like its unburnt fuel. This all started after I filled up from our portable fuel trailer, not sure if it had water in or not. I'm going to change fuel filters tomorrow and see what happens. Filters visually look fine. It's like its starving for fuel after it warms up and has no power. Its throwing a code but I don't have the scanner to read it. Are these dr.zaxis tools on Ebay reliable? Tia

Replies55
  1. #1tool_king2018-09-23 23:58

    Yes some them are .I have John Deere on personally. But some friends have the eBay one .

  2. #2Hoshaft2018-09-24 22:44

    Talked with local rdo mechanic and he thinks my smoke issue is a faulty waste gate. I put new filters on and now she run like a champ, so glad it wasn't the 1k apiece injectors.

  3. #3Ronsii2018-09-24 23:22

    If you have a drain on the fuel tank I'd crack it to see how much gunk/water comes out...

  4. #4Hoshaft2018-10-10 15:53

    Grrr! My issues are back. I flushed the fuel tank, lines , new air and fuel filters but it's still acting up. I ordered dr zaxis scanner but it will take week to show up, very frustrating. It's snowing out and we have a full shop so I can't tear into it but its intermittent making it hard to diagnose. Has anyone had turbo issues on these motors ? It has an ihi on it now, not sure if that is factory or not.

  5. #5TVA2018-10-10 16:24

    Is your intermittentcie depends on fuel leveling the tank?

  6. #6Dave Neubert2018-10-10 16:39

    I dont think that white smoke is from a turbo sounds like a timing issue

  7. #7TVA2018-10-10 16:42

    Also white smoke may indicate timing issues, might not apply to your case because you seems to have been able temporarily fix this problem with cleaning your fuel system. With timing usually engine knocks very loud.

  8. #8Hoshaft2018-10-10 17:02

    The engine doesn't knock, it's like a snowmobile running rich. If it was timing you'd think I'd run bad all the time.

  9. #9Hoshaft2018-10-10 17:03

    Fuel level makes no difference.

  10. #10TVA2018-10-10 17:16

    ‘09, I would assume the computerized engine? In this case there’s several factors that could throw timing off intermittently. Cam, crank position sensors, and coolant temp sensor. I’m not saying it is timing - but worth checking.

  11. #11TVA2018-10-10 17:24

    Do you loose coolant?

  12. #12Dave Neubert2018-10-10 17:29

    Agree with TVA I had a electronic Cummins that did this turned out to be a boost sensor

  13. #13TVA2018-10-10 17:42

    Got to ask Tool King if that ECM has ELD in it and if you can do flash code. Probably too new for that. You can’t pull the code off the display?

  14. #14Hoshaft2018-10-10 18:08

    I'm waiting on the scanner. I flushed the coolant this summer and it hasn't used any since. It's an 09` so I believe it's computer controlled.

  15. #15TVA2018-10-10 18:18

    Did you buy one from dealer or somewhere else?

  16. #16Hoshaft2018-10-10 19:28

    I bought one online, hopefully it works.

  17. #17TVA2018-10-10 19:30

    Yeah tell me if it does and which one you bought. If it doesn’t talk to Tool King maybe you just need right software.

  18. #18TVA2018-10-11 01:40

    Just remembered! If your fuel flows through cooler for ECU ( ECU bolts on top of it ) cooler it self and/or fittings sometimes gets spider web looking thing. Just a thought.

  19. #19Hoshaft2018-10-11 09:01

    Is the ECU right on the engine or mounted to the chassis? Thanks for bearing with me, this is my first hoe and still learning.

  20. #20TVA2018-10-11 09:10

    Looks like on the trucks it’s on the chassis, so it will not have cooler.

  21. #21TVA2018-10-11 09:15

    Might be helpful: https://gruzovod.ru/download/file.php?id=13495

  22. #22TVA2018-10-11 09:16

    Keep in mind it is a truck engine.

  23. #23TVA2018-10-11 09:29

    I don’t have a subscription right now, will do annual next week, but for you it should be $9 well spent! https://www.scribd.com/document/326901037/MANUAL-ZAXIS

  24. #24tool_king2018-10-11 19:54

    With that display you can not get codes through it . ECU does not have flash codes .You will need the tool .Is that a dash 5 you are working on ? Let me know.

  25. #25TVA2018-10-11 20:10

    Hello Tool King! Do you have an opinion on TEXA off-road package?

  26. #26tool_king2018-10-11 20:22

    I have not used that package . A friend of mine has it .He says he likes it . I can ask him what he likes and dislikes about .And let you know .I run Windr,JD MPDR,Pocket Fleet and many other sofware depending whit I am working on .

  27. #27Hoshaft2018-10-11 22:10

    Dash 3 , dr zaxis comes in 4 more days. I pulled all the sensors and reinstalled looking for a bad connection but to no avail.

  28. #28Hoshaft2018-10-11 22:12

    How do the aftermarket sensors compare to the oem? The parts look identical, the packaging is is different.

  29. #29TVA2018-10-11 22:26

    Can you ask your friend if he is able to communicate with anything beside Engine on JD CE?

  30. #30funwithfuel2018-10-12 19:40

    Ok. Everything I see regarding this engine says it's common rail injection. You stated there may have been a fuel issue but never followed up with what you found. Just that you cleaned the tank and filters and flushed the lines. Did you find water? Was your separator in the circuit or bypassed? The reason I'm asking is rail systems will not tolerate any water intrusion. Isuzus have some of the highest rail pressure there is. I believe they actually pioneered the tech with GM . Anyhow, point is water is erosive under that kind of pressure. You will find ,if you take apart your high pressure fuel pump, erosion on face of pump plungers and barrels. Once that perfect surface is harmed, pressure rise becomes inconsistent. Pressure regulator valve also begins sticking. I'm not saying this absolutely your problem, just that it could be. It depends on whether or not your engine ingested water. Good luck. Oh, if it had water, don't cheap out with one injector and this part or that. I know it's hard , but plan on a system replacement. The alternative is kicking the can down the road. It'll hurt worse down the road as you have good parts get hurt by bad . Been down that road, it's dark. Lol

  31. #31TVA2018-10-12 19:50

    I think he will explore every other option until there’s nothing left, i am (and I think others) afraid even to suggest something like this before other venues are checked out. Having rough idea about prices.

  32. #32funwithfuel2018-10-12 19:57

    I get that, that's why I asked if he had in fact had water or debris contaminated fuel. I have tried in the past to save folks a nickel . Clean all, replace only what is out if range . Within a week or so, we are revisiting, chasing a moving target. In the end it winds up costing more with wasted labor , travel etc.

  33. #33funwithfuel2018-10-12 20:01

    http://www.mycleandiesel.com/pages/ProblemWater.aspx When you have time, please take a look. It's a good, lengthy read. It clearly explains what I try to say.

  34. #34TVA2018-10-12 20:01

    And I fully understand that, but you know that hope dies the last!

  35. #35TVA2018-10-12 20:26

    Good read! Especially about biological contamination, which most of the people overlook, and then: “it worked perfect when I parked it three years ago! Now I have to clean the whole fuel system”. I did dabble with stuff on marine side - so I know all about it, and about fuel polishing systems too!

  36. #36TVA2018-10-12 20:27

    BTW biological contamination affects not only fuel but hydraulics too!

  37. #37Nige2018-10-13 07:05

    I first came across biological contamination maybe 15 years ago, but surprisingly it was not related to a single machine that had been parked for a long time but in a bulk fuel storage facility on an operating mine site that consumed in excess of 50,000 gallons of fuel per day. You can imagine the problem with algae plugging fuel filters on a fleet that big..... Translating from the Spanish report I have from back then ...... "These micro-organisms live in water and feed on the hydrocarbons present in the fuel. They are often referred to as "humbugs". They form active and exponentially growing colonies that can rapidly disperse throughout a fuel storage system, resulting a rapid plugging of the recirculation filters (and filters on equipment) with a slimy deposit, most commonly a dark green colour but can also be brown or black. Draining water from the storage system on a regular basis can potentially reduce the microbial activity but will never completely eliminate it. The only form of eliminating the microbial activity once it has established itself in the storage system is by treatment using a biocide. The use of 2-micron (absolute) elements in the recirculating filter system of the fuel farm is also recommended to trap the micro-organisms in one place in order to clean out the storage tank. In extreme circumstances it may be necessary to drain a storage tank completely and treat the inside of the tank with directly-applied biocide by spraying." I'm not a chemist but if the micro-organisms live in water and feed on hydrocarbons I can't see how they could be present in a hydraulic system unless it had significant water contamination in it.

  38. #38Bluox2018-10-13 09:14

    I'm thinking all oils are hydrocarbons and one of the big problems with hydraulic oils is water retention . Bob

  39. #39TVA2018-10-13 10:08

    Yes! Hydraulic oils do not emulsify easily so when equipment sits for a long time the water and oil start “layering” and that’s exactly where the bacteria starts to grow. It is especially pronounced in marine equipment where water cooler than the air and tanks “sweat” all the time. The fuel polishing systems is basically separate pump with several filters on the timer, it flushes fuel through filters from time to time using shore power.

  40. #40Hoshaft2018-10-13 10:54

    I'm think now that fuel is not the issue and it was just coincidence when i started having problems. I've talked to a mechanic and he thinks as simple as a sensor but i want to retrieve the code before i just start throwing parts at it. Thanks for the help and replies, this site is invaluable.

  41. #41TVA2018-10-13 11:09

    Let’s hope it is something simpler then injectors and CRD pump!

  42. #42funwithfuel2018-10-13 18:37

    Fingers crossed for you. Please share what you find.

  43. #43Richard Balston2018-10-15 06:17

    Yes Hoshaft, Fuel level makes no difference.

  44. #44Hoshaft2018-10-17 21:12

    My scanner comes up with 1347 code , suction control valve being open or shorted. Does this sound like my issue of overfueling?

  45. #45walkerv2018-10-17 21:27

    It is a fuel system part so what ever its doing it is likely your issue, i am unsure of how it works or what it does exactly but if it is closing when it shorts or goes open it is probably starving for fuel which can also cuase all kinds of white smoke

  46. #46Hoshaft2018-10-17 21:42

    Yeah I know enough to get myself in trouble and that's about it.

  47. #47TVA2018-10-17 23:48

    That’s the valve which supposed to save you fuel by regulating rail pressure at partial load, this thing can give you lots of weirdish problems, it doesn’t mean you’re out of the woods yet with injectors but it is a good start! Open or short to ground means that ECM doesn’t get any return voltage ( that’s why it’s not sure if it open or short ), I would start with checking continuity between ECM and that valve.

  48. #48TVA2018-10-17 23:50

    Which Dr.Zx did you buy? Can you share the link?

  49. #49BigWrench552018-10-18 00:07

    You could unplug the suction control valve and turn the key on. If you get a different code pertaining to the suction control valve then the valve is failed. If the code remains the same then you have a wiring issue. Then you will need to check continuity between the valve connector and ecm like tva suggested.

  50. #50Hoshaft2018-10-18 00:12

    I just went on Amazon and bought one, sinocmp is the brand. Its straight from china and it runs on a used palm pilot, its clunky to navigate but functional. Hopefully it just the valve.

  51. #51Hoshaft2018-10-18 00:14

    I like the sound of that paul, I'm nothing more than a light bulb changer when it come to electrical work.

  52. #52Hoshaft2018-10-18 13:07

    I pulled the scv out and clean up the unit and connections now everything works perfect. I'm able to run it while i wait for the new one, nothing was glaringly wrong. I bench tested it and sprayed some electrical cleaner through it nothing that I could see came out.

  53. #53TVA2018-10-18 13:49

    With that code most likely it was lost connection on return wire.

  54. #54Hoshaft2018-11-13 15:12

    We'll i got around to replacing the suction control valve and it won't start. Do i need to do some sort of calibration or is it just air in the fuel? Tia

  55. #55Hoshaft2018-11-13 19:10

    Well I got it running but it must need calibrating. My dr zx isn't allowing me to clear fault codes, it like its missing a menu page. I keep reading about a learn switch on these machines but can't find one by the fuse box. maybe that's handled through dr zx now?