Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine lift cradle on 580C

TheOldMan ยท 2012-09-01 08:36

I have to replace the engine mounts on my 580C. Had the radiator rblt, and fastened everything back in place and now the fan blade hits the shroud just a little. I could see the shot front mount when I had the rad off and replaced the hydro pump drive, but like an idiot, didn't fix it then. Now has to all come back apart. I read somehwere on this forum that a cradle had to be fabricated to lift the front of the engine by the pan flanges rather than jacking on the pan. Anybody have a picture of one they've made along with the dimensions? Be much easier to fabricate from a picture than trying to reinvent the wheel

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2012-09-01 09:23

    You could remove the front nut on the front valve cover and replace it with an eye bolt with female threads. That is what I do.

  2. #2TheOldMan2012-09-01 12:20

    Tha's certainly an option, but I don't have a cherry picker, and I think it might get complicated trying to lift it with the fel on the other tractor, have to think about that.

  3. #3alrman2012-09-01 18:57

    Done this a just a few times before, only ever used a tall bottle jack that has screw all way out & used blocks under it, adjusted so the jack was near maximum height. That allows the jack to go close to the oil pan & lift against the head of a mounting bolt. Lift as close as possible to the front of the engine. Using a piece of steel rhs or pipe would also do the same thing - just be more careful as it may slip out during the mount removal banging & cursing process ...... If you wanted to go with Tinkerer's suggestion - with the loader frame locked in the raised position, you could attatch a block & tackle to the loader frame crossmember & lift from there. Or put a heavy timber or length of steel between the crossmember & the roof of the tractor (if a ROPS) & lift from there to make it more vertical. If you want to fabricate something, make an offset socket like the one below. Cut a 3/4" drive 15/16" socket in half & weld a plate through the middle of it. Next make a drift with an offset in it to drive out the old mount. Mine is made from an old steering cylinder rod. The offsets are for a reason ........ & I'll play a game with you by not telling you why, see if you can figure it out ....... they are worth their weight in gold during the job.