Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

engine make?

petepilot · 2020-01-26 22:57

91 ford f800 with a 7.9 v6 turbo diesel who would have built a v6 besides Detroit?

Replies35
  1. #1_Weldman_2020-01-26 23:02

    Ford-New Holland 7.8 240 HP 606 lb ft torque https://www.dieselhub.com/specs/ford-new-holland-6.6-7.8-diesel.html

  2. #2petepilot2020-01-26 23:06

    inline 6 guy is telling me his is a V6

  3. #3_Weldman_2020-01-26 23:13

    Never even heard of 7.9, sounds like someone has something wrong, get a VIN and call the stealership and see what they come of it.

  4. #4RZucker2020-01-26 23:33

    I have a '91 F800 with the 7.8L inline 6, never heard of a V-6 engine for one.

  5. #5petepilot2020-01-26 23:44

    I never heard of a 7.9 either .if it does have a v6 all I can think of is that someone transplanted a turboed 653 in it . I should have some pics. in a day or two we`ll see then` its about a 100 miles from me

  6. #6Ronsii2020-01-26 23:46

    A day or two waiting for pics that's like an eternity!!!!

  7. #7RZucker2020-01-26 23:48

    6V-53 was only 318 cubes, what is that in liters? 5.0? 6V-71 was 426 cubes.

  8. #8petepilot2020-01-26 23:55

    you`re right methinks the guy trying to sell it to me doesn't know what he`s got

  9. #9RZucker2020-01-27 00:01

    Methinks you are correct. Depending on the Hp rating and your intended use, make sure its got a lot of gears. Mines a 210HP with a 6610 transmission at about 22-23K lbs. and you get to know every one of those gears.

  10. #10petepilot2020-01-27 00:02

    318 cu = 5.2 litres little dump truck with an automatic

  11. #11_Weldman_2020-01-27 00:02

    Only Detroit they would of stuck in there is the 8.2L fuel pincher which wouldn't surmise to the V6 since it was a 500 cubic inch engine.

  12. #12RZucker2020-01-27 00:07

    Yep. 8.2L, had a few of them in service trucks. A customer tried one in a tandem F800 pulling a smallish equipment trailer... No Bueno, it now has a Cat 3208T that has been doing the job for several years.

  13. #13Delmer2020-01-27 00:42

    Lots of people don't know what a V6 is. My bet is you show up and it turns over fine but won't crank. I don't think Ford used the 8.2 detroit V8 that late, maybe?

  14. #14Steve Frazier2020-01-27 00:48

    Construction company I worked for had an F800 with the little Detroit in it, the thing was gutless and it sounded just like the 3208 Cat. I actually thought that’s what was in it until I peeked under the hood. I’m betting the truck you’re looking at has the Ford I6 in it too. From what I’ve heard they were no powerhouse but were pretty reliable.

  15. #15mitch5042020-01-27 09:32

    Have any of y'all EVER heard of that before?!!

  16. #16John C.2020-01-27 10:54

    I seem to recall Cummins had a V6 for awhile. I remember seeing them in log skidders. I recall something about 378 on the tag. It sure wasn't 7.9 liters though.

  17. #17Steve Frazier2020-01-27 17:18

    Saw one in a Michigan loader, it looked like a V903 short two cylinders.

  18. #18crane operator2020-01-27 18:08

    Most likely its a 5.9 cummins or a 7.8 brazilian. If its diesel. There are a few 8.3 cummins, and a occaasional 3208 in the late 80's. If its a v style engine, I bet its a big gasser, and the last two cylinders are hid under the firewall.

  19. #19RZucker2020-01-27 18:56

    Actually that would be the 504 Cummins minus 2 cylinders. Saw one in a mid 60's Ford F800? it wasn't running. Ford did use them for a while back then.

  20. #20Truck Shop2020-01-27 20:44

    The 6V-71 was A Hemi at 426 cu. in.

  21. #21petepilot2020-01-27 22:31

    think that was a 504 ci.non turboed

  22. #22petepilot2020-01-27 22:44

    correction 378 was v6 504 was v8 then came the infamous triple nickel 555. didn't know it till just now cummins has a brand new v6 out for ford pickups

  23. #23check2020-01-27 23:10

    I remember a V6 Cummins in a Wabco scraper, I thought they called it a 504.

  24. #24DB22020-01-28 03:48

    504 ÷ 8 = 63 X 6 = 378 Had a triple nickel in a Sicard blower and another V8 Cumapart in a Champion grader. Both machines outlasted the power plants. High revving affairs.

  25. #2556wrench2020-01-28 11:32

    I think the early small v8 was first a 470, then upgraded to a 504. the final evolution was the 555 or triple nickel. my dad had one of the 470's in a new versatile 145 tractor in 1967. it blew up at 400hrs. delivered a rod to the outside world. poor torque in that application.

  26. #26RZucker2020-01-28 19:09

    Nope, those were 504 V-8's in the 101 Wabcos. Worked on several of those puppies. Replaced one 504 with a Cat 3208 that was nearly free from an old New Holland combine. Really made a good machine. Interesting factoid about the 101F is that it used Caterpillar Duo-cone seals on the elevator drive tube behind the sprocket hubs. Go figure. Unless the one I worked on had been converted.

  27. #27check2020-01-28 19:10

    You're probably right, I was relying on my feeble memory of 1981.

  28. #28mitch5042020-01-28 19:25

    Pete, you do understand that if you don't come back and tell us what it turned out to be, we will find you...

  29. #29petepilot2020-01-29 20:57

    im not hard to find .but I did not hear back from the guy yet

  30. #30doublewide2020-02-06 19:34

    Hmmm...

  31. #31petepilot2020-02-06 21:59

    still no word & no pics.

  32. #32_Weldman_2020-02-06 23:01

    You were supposed to give them your social security number and your credit card number with security code on the back

  33. #33petepilot2020-02-07 18:01

    not likely

  34. #34Ronsii2020-02-07 18:41

    Chicken!!!!! have you search the free money database yet to see if you have monies out there that belong to you???

  35. #35petepilot2020-02-07 22:16

    yooooouuuu betcha