My property seems to be on the dustier side. Seems like every 2-4 hours I am cleaning the K&N filter I installed and the secondary filter I am replacing every 30-50 hours. Looks like this model has an option for a Pre Filter and I just wanted to get some of your thoughts on this? Would this be a worth while investment or is this just a 3rd filter that is going to clog up super fast too? Has anyone made a Vortex Air separator? Might be a fun project. Thanks!
Serial Number.? I think there is a turbine pre-cleaner kit available for a lot of models. May just include yours. May I ask why you thought a K&N was a better idea for a primary filter than an OEM element.? My experience of K&N (not on heavy equipment though) has been that they are total sh1te.
It is CAT0299DVGTC01014 I have really liked the one in my RAM 3500. I thought this would be a good solution since I have to clean the filter constantly and the OEM one they say you can only clean a couple of times. I have probably cleaned this filter 10 times in the last couple of months. I am interested to hear your thoughts on why you don't like them though.
Well looky here. Plug and play so long as you have a large cheque book.............. Manufacturing quality would lead me to believe they were made in someone's garden shed in China.
For some reason my access to the parts store appears to have been revoked, so I can't see pricing. But I guess they are proud of this? I think maybe you have had bad luck with their filters? The one in my truck I have had since 2006. Made of thick rubber and does not show any signs of wear. The CAT one also feels high quality. Have you had experience with pre filter / cleaners?
I can't comment on pricing because I have no access either. I'm reasonably sure the precleaner will be made for Cat by Sy-Klone, it's just a matter of finding out which model it is. Probably a 9000 seies of some sort. They are usually sized by the diameter of the connecting tube between the precleaner and the main air filter body. Some of the parts could be manufactured, others it might be simpler just to buy rather than trying to make them. Loads. We did the field testing on quite a few Cat turbine precleaner installations down in Chile about 20 years ago. They were standard equipment (in other words specified as an attachment at time of machine purchase) on almost everything that wasn't an off-highway truck by many of our customersin a number of territories. Worth every penny in my book if you are operating in a very dusty environment.
Link to Sy-Klone web site - https://www.sy-klone.com/series9000.html
I to would probably lose the K&N Did you secondary get dirty with the original filter in place it really shouldn't be replaced very often it might be a sign that the K&N isn't filtering good enough or that you are actually cleaning it to much they have always said that efficiency goes up on a dirty filter The next question is how are you deciding to clean or replace the filters vacuum gauge, dash light, black smoke ect or just by appearance It may be worth adding a vacuum gauge too Turbine precleaners defiantly help filter life if you can get one fit in there
Thank you for the info! I think I am going to need to start an eBay watch for these parts as they are probably a mush have!
I replaced the Filter when I purchased the unit as the filter was packed when I purchased the unit. I typically clean the filter when the digital screen tells me there is an inlet restriction. When I pull the filter out at that point, there might be a 1/4 inch of dirt packed around the filter so much that you can’t see the ribs anymore. I’m surprised it can breath at all at this point. If I clean it and the error does not go away I have to replace the inner filter. Usually every 6-7 K&N filter cleanings.
I put the Cat kit on my 262D3 that cuts and mills roads, and brooms, all sans water. Is it worth $800? To me it was. The kit on mine included an entirely new filter housing, block off cover, snorkel, turbine precleaner, and quick release clamp (to allow turbine removal when opening the top hood).
All the available SS/ CTL caterpillar accessories. There's even an AC filter snorkel kit, sans any kind of precleaner.
An excellent resource.
Thank you very much! Sounds like this is going to be a must have for me as well!