2006 Bobcat S-175 I had a hyd hose blow off the hyd cooler and the engine sucked in a bunch of oil. Got hose fixed and change hyd oil and engine oil. Engine is still smoking badly and I can hear a rattle in the engine? Ive run it about 8 hours since , I would have thought the hyd oil would have burnt off by now? The engine oil level has not changed so the smoke must still be coming from mhyd oil it sucked up? I more worried about the rattle than the smoker. Anyone got any comments?
Did it suck in enough oil to cause it to stall out? I would be worried about it hydrostatically locking and bending one or more rods.
I shut it off but but think it was going to stall out. Huge clouds of smoke choking out of it.
I would have never thought you could suck enough oil through the air cleaner to hydrolock the engine but it may be the case. I assume you changed the air filters and cleaned the area around it?
Had one do the same thing last month on a t-190. Machine would hardly run after the hydraulic line fixed. That's when I checked the air filters. Changed them and I ran like a champ no smoke. Did you change filters?
Maybe wouldn't need to actually hydra-lock to cause damage, oil is fuel and extreme overfueling could bend a rod or damage a piston or wrist pin. It's a wonder she didn't run away if it had that much smoke coming out of it.
Never had it happen with oil but do know water hitting an air filter can pass through and really mess up a diesel, for get how many rods that 12V-71 had! Would also agree with Lantraxco about the overfueling from the oil possibly causing a problem. If it is still smoking after changing air filters and checking intake for oil I would be worried about running it till I could find the cause of the smoke. A couple bent rods to replace are not as bad as the big hole through the crankcase when one breaks.
Its still smoking and seems to be low on power. I changed all filters including air filters. The engine oil has not moved so the smoke must still be being burnt off from hyd leak. Its 100 miles in the bush so its kind of a hard decision to decide what to do? I think its still clearing itself upi. Would the hyd oil hurt the injectors?
It happens more than you'd think on the S series bobcat due to the air snorkel routed up in the radiator compartment. That compartment has drain holes (small), but they aren't able to keep up with a full-fledged line burst, thus the hydro fluid gets dumped into the snorkel, which will wreak havoc on motor. Best option is to re-route snorkel so it doesn't suck from that compartment, or enlarge those factory holes to monumental proportions. If you hear knocking in your engine, I'd suspect you'd have to tear it down or replace.
Update ..............I finally got it to town. #4 cyl dead suspected connecting rod......... Mechanic says its cheaper , faster and smarter to put in a rebuilt motor. Its going to be around $8000 when its all said and done. Anyone got any leads on finding a Kubota engine for a S175 Bobcat?
check ebay for V2203, looks like there are reman and used (canada too)
Con rod bent bad. Going to try and get parts to rebuild engine. Bobcat Customer Service wants to talk to me about it?
I would be polite and listen to any help they offer, seems like a over site upon hose failure.
I have a case1835b that I am hoping to get some troubleshooting ideas on with the engine/hydraulics. We parked the skid steer a month ago in the garage ready for the upcoming snow storm. Went out a week ago and it wouldn't start. Thought is was the starter. Pulled it out and had it tested which came back good. Put the starter back in and is still didn't turn over. Ended up taking a breaker bar to the pulley and the engine won't budge. Something is completely seized up. We are trying to decide whter it is the engine or the hydraulics and am wondering if a hydraulic pump could lock up it could seize the engine? We have 18" of snow and now no skid steer. HELP
NASCAR, you should start a new thread or maybe a moderator could for you,
kensmith69 : ….. Who did the diagnostics that they determined #4 cyl dead ??? ….. Which Dealership are you dealing with, I know it's all Westerra now but which Branch …. Hopefully NOT those Doe-Heads in Kammy !!! ….. I'm still having a hard time comprehending the fact that you had so much oil make it past Both the Primary and secondary air filters that it could bend a ROD ??? And NOT STAHL the engine ??? …. I've had some pretty bad things happen to me over the years and if it was me i'd be thinking the worst would be a "Push Tube" …not the connecting Rod …. Had that happen on an Excavator !!! … I'm only an Hr South of you PM me ….. $8000 to re-power is not cheaper than having to fix one dead cyl … There are some really good Mechanics in the Puddle …. surely someone could be able to fix it …… Cheers ….. GK
You could try taking a pry bar to the ring gear, through the starter hole. I would GUESS that a pump locked up that bad would have left a lot of evidence in the filter. Also, a starter can stick engaged and "lock" the engine up. What kind of sound did you get out of the starter when it failed to turn over? Could you take a volt reading at the starter while attempting to crank?