Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine shuts off after releasing ignition key

GODSDOZER · 2019-06-26 13:17

1999 Samsung MX225 (Grey Market Machine for U.S.) . Has a Cummins engine model B5. 9-C, serial number on engine is 2623070. Here is my issue. When I turn the key to crank the engine, the engine starts fine and runs fine, but, when I let go of they key to the run position...………...engine dies. I was thinking it could be the following : 1. fuel shut off solenoid 2. Step motor 3. ignition key switch and lastly 4. bad computer (hope not) ? Any help is appreciated. Derrell

Replies25
  1. #1thepumpguysc2019-06-26 13:25

    W/ a Bosch in-line inj. pump.?? Shut off sol. mounted/hooked to the shut off shaft on the inj/. pump.. Large cylinder lookin thing w/ a rubber boot.. & a 3 wire connector..red, white & black.??

  2. #2John C.2019-06-26 15:45

    I don't know the machine and likely few here do either. Any idea of the year of manufacture, hours of operation, serial number of the machine and maybe a photo of the fuel side of the engine to give us a place to start?

  3. #3Birken Vogt2019-06-26 15:54

    I see where TPG is going with this one...the pump solenoid might have a black wire (ground) a red wire (run) and a white wire (pull in, hooked to starter) If the white wire gets power it will run but if the red wire is not also getting power it will not continue to run once the starter is released.

  4. #4John C.2019-06-26 15:58

    That's all well and good but what controls the solenoid that controls the red wire to the latching coil? It it computer driven?

  5. #5GODSDOZER2019-06-26 17:02

    The fuel shut off solenoid has a Red, white and black wire that is on the fuel shut off solenoid plug end. The solenoid has this stamped on it : Woodward 5267132 , 24VDC , 28-18. Another number on a white label (looks kinda like a bar code label) stick on label is : 5267132. serial number for the excavator is : FCY1589 I can get pictures of the engine / fuel pump ect. if needed. I bought this machine from United Rental in 2005...………..has been a trouble free machine. Although it is a Grey Market machine, parts are still available through ROMCO Inc. a Volvo dealer.

  6. #6GODSDOZER2019-06-26 17:05

    John C...………………...your last question is the one I have. (Is the signal computer driven ? ) I would like to know that as well.

  7. #7GODSDOZER2019-06-26 17:07

    If I remember correctly...…………..….99% of the parts on this machine are interchangeable with a Volvo EC210B. I would have to go down to the shop to verify that but I think that is correct.

  8. #8GODSDOZER2019-06-26 17:16

    I am no mechanic per say...……….…...the dealer (ROMCO) told me on the phone something like this : When you crank the engine, the shutoff solenoid gets 24 volts to it. when the key is released to the run position the fuel shut off solenoid then gets 12 volts to keep it open. ???? any ideas if that is somewhat correct ?

  9. #9Vetech632019-06-26 17:22

    Black wire = ground Red wire = hot with ignition (hold coil) White wire = start signal only (start coil) Check your fuse panel for a blown fuse on the ignition side. I have seen that a lot with these solenoids.

  10. #10Vetech632019-06-26 17:25

    I’m not aware of any that change voltage. It has 2 coils, hold and start........start coil pulls the rod when you crank the engine. The hold coil holds the rod in run position until you turn the ignition switch off.

  11. #11Se.la2019-06-26 17:25

    The EC210B have a Volvo Deutz electronic engine

  12. #12Se.la2019-06-26 17:31

    MA201 is the shut off solenoid , inspect FU19

  13. #13Vetech632019-06-26 17:33

    Can you get me an electrical schematic for a ingersol rand PD100D by chance?

  14. #14heymccall2019-06-26 17:47

    Ohm the solenoid or apply 12v (or 24v if 24v machine) Black is ground Blk to Red should not be open Blk to White should not be open Red to white should be open

  15. #15GODSDOZER2019-06-26 18:18

    A question.. 1. Is that the schematic for the Samsung MX225 LS machine ?

  16. #16GODSDOZER2019-06-26 20:52

    Thank you for the response. I will check that.

  17. #17GODSDOZER2019-06-26 20:53

    Maybe the HOLD coil operates on only 12 volts ?

  18. #18GODSDOZER2019-06-26 20:55

    Is this while trying to crank the engine? or with the key switch in run position , ect ? Thanks

  19. #19heymccall2019-06-26 22:43

    Unplug it and either apply voltages or measure across the terminals.

  20. #20Birken Vogt2019-06-26 22:44

    Red to white will not be open if working correctly. It will be the resistance of red-black added to the resistance of white-black.

  21. #21John C.2019-06-26 23:22

    Machine is a MX225 and just likely has a Cummins and not a Deutz engine.

  22. #22Jonas3022019-06-26 23:41

    Not very likely that the hold in coil to be different voltage The Pull in coil is a heavy duty low resistance winding to snap the lever in if it was left on it would burn up shortly the hold in has a weak winding with high resistance so it takes less power all it has to so is hold so doesn't need much power If its a three wire setup determine which wire is hold in might be smaller wire than the pull in Make sure there is ground and test for voltage with key on if you have hold in power problem solved replace solenoid no power to hold in check all fuses and trace it back to the key could be a relay in there maybe computer controlled but it would surprise me if it was

  23. #23Birken Vogt2019-06-27 00:19

    According to the schematic provided both the hold voltage comes straight from the key switch. So no computer control seems to be involved. The OP needs to verify that the wiring of the machine really does match the schematic provided and figure out if the red hold wire is getting voltage from the key switch. Not likely it is getting anything other than battery voltage. 24v or nothing. If it is getting it then replace the coil. If it is not then figure out why. Bad switch or bad wire most likely then.

  24. #24thepumpguysc2019-06-27 08:36

    The sol. IS STAMPED 12 or 24v. They usually run thru a set of relays close to the firewall.. There IS an adjustment under the rubber boot on the shaft.. 2- 10mm lock nuts.. Its not uncommon for the sol. to become dirty inside the housing & the plunger not be able to hold.. OR it may be that the RUN coil is burnt.. due to misadjustment..

  25. #25GODSDOZER2019-06-27 18:45

    Thanks so much guys, ill let yall know what I find when I get back out to the machine ...……………...