Was wondering what everyone uses and likes for sleeve pullers, homemade, purchased, a block of wood and hammer, hydraulic, the lever pry arm style or manual threaded style or something completely different. Just curious, I have a few engines to overhaul this winter and am thinking about getting one. Thanks in advance.
i use kentmoore pt6435
What engines? I would suggest eBay, they have a cornucopia of types for all manufactures.
I have used that style of kentmoore puller. Worked good. If you are getting into the large industrial over 7" stroke it will be short if I remember. Get liner presses for installation too. Makes setting counterbores less problematic.
Yes would be good to know the actual engines, are they wet sleeve or dry sleeve and so on.
I use a hollow cylinder, tread bar and bits of junk to pull wet and dry liners, I also install dry liners with it, to install wet liners I tend to use head bolts or stud bolts and hard bar, I use this tooling to check liner hight also, I only fit about 50 to a 100 liners a year so it would be wasteful to spend out on anything fancy. tctractors
If your overhauling out of frame you don't ned any thing fancy, when the block is upside down you can knock the wet liners out from underneath, I use a 4' long big bar with alot of weight to it and and pretty much drop it down on the liner, just have to be careful not to hit the block or cooling jets. Like tctractor said when installing all you need is head bolts and a nice flat machined bar with hole in it. I don't have alot of experience removing dry liners but once I machine one wrong and so I removed it by boring it out off center until it broke and came out. Oh and recently on an in frame, when swapping cylinder packs I used this inflatable rubber plug, it was really cool, it was basically a heavy duty plug with a schrader valve and handle on it, I filled it up with air the then pulled the cylinder pack out, I used the same tool for dropping them in too.
Yair . . . Circle of half inch plate cut to fit under liner, cut sides of so it will fit through when dangled down on a bit of chain from up top, loop in chain, crowbar through loop, 4x2 on block for a fulcrum. Cheers
IH 466 is the first one we have to do, 5.9 cummins is the second one, no sleeves in the 5.9 that I know of, not sure if this one has been bored and sleeved or not, will have to wait till I get that one torn down to find out, pretty sure it needs boring and sleeved now but time will tell. Might have to do a small skid steer engine as well due to excess oil consumption, been told that one has dry sleeves in it, haven't even read the book on that one yet. The last case tractor I did an inframe on, we used a 2x4 and a hydraulic jack under the engine, those came out so hard as I jacked each one out, it lifted the front end of the tractor off the ground, if I had to do an out of frame overhaul on that one, not sure how I'd have gotten the sleeves out of it. The last deere john I did we did an out of frame on it, those sleeves came out pretty nicely with a block of wood and a hammer once the block was turned over. Never yet done a dry sleeved engine, guess that's the reason why I asking about pullers, if I were to get a puller, it would be nice to be able to do any sleeve, just how hard do the dry sleeves come out anyhow, anyone want to shed some light on this for me.
The 466 liners should come out pretty easy. At one time I had a Dresser TD-15C that had a 466 in it. I was into that motor a few times dealing with liner oring failure. IIRC we just used a 2x2 stick of oak and a bottle jack and they would pop right out. Just my $.02
If you were going to do in-frames on a regular basis, I would spend the bucks and buy a Snap On full adjustable, that's what I have and love it. But for a few engines do what bam1968 does. Truck shop
Dry sleeves are usually in real tight. Saw the boss at the old job use a puller on a perkins 4.236, told him those liners are thin, he says," I went to diesel school and you didnt" . I walked away and let him pull 2 huge gouges up the block bore. Enter one junk block. Manager told him no more engines for him. Wish I would have had a camera, it was ugly.
I've only pulled one engine with dry liners. Setup a threaded rod and a plate underneath. then 2 6x6's on top with a heavy bar. Then put a bunch of tension on it. Fill with dry ice, put a rag to keep the cold in. It pops free and I zipped it out with an air gun.
I pulled out some dry liners last week that took about 15-17 ton force to suck out, this is not uncommon when they have been in place a long time, I then pressed the new liners in for the customer after running a glaze hone in the block to clean things up some, they took around the 6 to 8 ton force to press home, all I used was 1 of my hollow cylinders and some top spec' tread rod and a few bits of junk iron, I did use my electric pump but any enerpac style hand pumps would have done, Snap on and Kent Moore tooling would have struggled to fetch liners out at this tonnage, I would not waste my money on the stuff. I have done a bit of a count up of liners I have changed this year it is 54 liners out 54 back in, it's getting close to the year end but there is always something around the corner that might add to the total, 4x4 cylinder 5x6 cylinder and 1xV8. tctractors