Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Water heater

pburress ยท 2016-10-09 21:08

Swapped out water heater today thanks to the help from my brother in law. Just wondering if you guys flush out your water heaters to extend the life or don't bother. If you do flush them out how often do you do it. Frankly this was an experience I don't want to repeat any time in the future. Bang head here. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2016-10-09 21:18

    Take the ridiculous little valve off and use a 3/4" x 4" galvanized to a full port ball valve to a hose to a bucket. Drain off a couple gallons every six months or as often as needed. Even better is to drain the whole tank and get the water swirling to rinse out the crud but who's gonna do that? Take the handle off the valve or use a cap so it doesn't get opened accidentally. Above is the ideal in my opinion, what I actually do is clean out all the scale in electric water heaters whenever I replace an element, and practically never bother with gas water heaters. I can't say I've seen a failure from sediment we have fairly hard water in this area. How did your's fail?

  2. #2pburress2016-10-09 22:24

    Indianapolis has terribly hard water. Hard water got it. I've never flushed it. I might start though Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3plumberkc2016-10-09 22:45

    I am the owner of KC Water Heaters and I have replaced hundreds of tanks. I also have maintained meticulous records of how long different brands last. You can see for yourself on waterheaterdb.com. Over 95% of my clients that I have asked tell me they have never flushed their tank. There seems to be very little correlation with flushing the tank and a longer lifespan. All tanks today have a self cleaning function which basically directs incoming water to the areas sediment is most likely to collect. If you want to prevent from having to replace the tank again you need to start by checking your water pressure. If your house has a PRV and it's more than 10 years old it's time to replace it. Hopefully you also installed a thermal expansion tank. Keep in mind the expansion tank has to be properly inflated and maintained to work correctly. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4Delmer2016-10-09 22:55

    I assume that's gas water heaters? I haven't replaced enough to know gas. Electric elements build up scale and burn out when the level reaches the element and it can't shed the scale anymore.

  5. #5ol'stonebreaker2016-10-09 23:27

    If you have hard water get a water softener feeding your water heater. Your heater will love it and you can buy a lot of salt for the price of a new heater. Our water is so hard women come from all over the world to douche with it, LOL!! Mike

  6. #6plumberkc2016-10-09 23:37

    That is actually the opposite of what my data shows. I have around 250 tanks showing an average lifespan of 15.4 years. Those installed in a home with a softener have an average of 12.9. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7ScottAR2016-10-10 01:15

    I would echo the soft water shortens heater life. Our water is very soft and 10-12 years seems to be the norm in the rentals. We never flush them nor do much of repair of them; pretty much only replace as to not have a comeback to the resident. I have been known to change out elements from time to time but rarely drain them to do it. I've always heard the way to extend their life was to replace the anode rod but have never found a place to buy them nor the dip tubes which seem to embrittle over time.

  8. #8Willie B2016-10-10 09:05

    I've been repairing electric water heaters 47 years. Depending on your water source you will get a quick build up of minerals, or very slow. We once were able to buy SAND HOG elements for the bottom. They were low watt density, reducing the build up of flake in the bottom. I can't find them anymore. If you have a water softener, or corrosive water your best asset is buying a SEPCO heater, or replacing your anode periodically. Well water seems the worst for mineral build up. When replacing bottom elements, use a powerful wet vac with a long 1" copper pipe attached to clean out sediment. Willie

  9. #9lantraxco2016-10-10 12:02

    Soft or pure water because of the lack of minerals in it tends to leach metals, this is how you get lead in your city water when you do something stupid like changing water sources without monitoring and adding substances to counter the leaching. Good water filter ahead of the water heater in the supply line helps.

  10. #10fast_st2016-10-10 18:42

    Also change your anode now and again, every 5 - 10 years and it'll last a long time.

  11. #11oceanobob2016-10-14 23:13

    The little valve may not be that easy to replace as it could be non metallic and 'married' to the liner. Galvanic breaks or separation in the C-H hookup piping: prolly correctly called a "dielectric union" but said function can be had w/ a SS or copper flex, depending on mfg This separation can also be accomplished with those "lined nipples" with the thermal (reduced section) and little check valve flapper

  12. #12Willie B2016-10-15 08:19

    My first water heater, (I was desperately poor) was a Sepco from the milkhouse of a dairy barn. The jacket was very rusty. I wrapped it in insulation and used it. Ten years later it leaked. I replaced it, only to discover it was a Taiwanese fitting screwed into the top that leaked. I went forward with the newer tank anyway. I put it in an outbuilding, and eventually installed it in another house. Six years later that home owner called asking how long the warranty was. As I had given it to him I gave him a full refund. Best I can say that heater was used 41 hard years, and was stored a couple in between. Most glass lined cheap heaters have a five year tank warranty. Willie