Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

engine smoke after choking engine out

scottwolowich ยท 2020-05-21 19:58

cat 303.5c cr dmy00326 So I had a bit of an ordeal today, sprung a bit of a hydraulic leak on the thumb hose that flexes a lot. Went to shut down the machine and my fuel shutoff solenoid is intermittent so of course when i went to shut off the machine it didn't work this time. backup plan is a manual shutuff pull cable in the engine compartment, managed to break that off as the cable had frayed quite a bit. I resorted to choking out the intake with my hand to stop the engine. It sputtered, smoked, and finally stopped. After a few hours of getting some tools to stop the hydraulic leak, upon starting the engine again there was a lot of smoke. The machine ran for 5-10 minutes and it smoked most of the time, for moments it seemed like it was clearing up but under throttle and using the travel motors it would smoke greyish heavily. It makes sense that some oil was sucked through the intake when choking it out but after checking the oil it seems like close to 1L was sucked through. I realize now I probably should have made sure the engine turned over by hand before starting it but that has passed. I got the machine out of the woods and it's parked for now until I can get back out and remove the intake and clean as much as I can. Is there any harm in running the machine to burn off the oil since I've already started it? I'm worried that I've caused some damage but possibly the oil just needs to drain/burn out. To clarify the machine was in good working condition prior to choking it out and did not consume an excessive amount of oil during normal use. Any advice/comments are appreciated. My plan is to clean the intake as best as possible, monitor the coolant/oil in case of some sort of crack or damage, and let it run to burn off any remaining oil.

Replies5
  1. #1thepumpguysc2020-05-22 09:07

    If it started its probably ok.. is there a chance that it sucked some of the air cleaner into the intake.??

  2. #2RollOver Pete2020-05-22 20:44

    Or collapsed a hose or tube on the air intake system?

  3. #3scottwolowich2020-05-24 13:13

    all hoses checked out and nothing was overly oily. the next day the oil was almost up to the full mark again so almost everything drained out and it started again with no smoke and ran well/properly. definitely not doing that again! a few others i talked to were worried about blowing the turbo by doing that

  4. #4Bls repair2020-05-24 20:43

    Is the manual shut off cable repaired or still broken?

  5. #5scottwolowich2020-05-24 21:57

    I repaired the cable and also fixed the connection on the shutoff solenoid so we're good for now. Now yesterday on a very hot day my stick/dipper cylinder was getting hot while doing some heavy stumping and also making a creaking located at the seal. It is out of round 1/16th of an inch or so and didn't make the noise today. Thinking it was just overworked and one of the seals swelled a bit. Will monitor that cylinder.