Okay, so I just started up my 655D, 4 cyl. non-turbo, and let it idle for about 10 minutes and then it just shut off. I tried to restart but it wouldn’t do anything but turn over. It acted like it ran out of fuel but it had plenty in the tank. I’ve read through the manuals but they did not give any direction regarding this problem. I am a backyard wrench for gasoline and have zero experience on diesels. Can anyone give me some direction of what to check first? ps I changed all the filters including the air and fuel last month. Thanks in advance for any help!
Diesel is thicker and dirtier than gasoline. You probably have a blockage somewhere between the strainer in the tank, and the injection pump. If you have a transfer pump that has a priming lever on it, that can help a lot to determine where the blockage is by pumping as you loosen different fittings. Other possibility is the solenoid on the injection pump isn't getting power or is burned out, especially if it starts back up and runs with good power when cold but then dies again idleing.
Went through this on my New Holland a while back. Tank had crud floating in the bottom. The actual blockage on mine was at the banjo fitting going into the sediment bowl. After I cleaned out the tank and replaced all the lines I put a small engine filter in line just before the sediment bowl. Have replaced that once since. Best 4 bucks I ever spent. I keep some in the tool box now.
Crack the fuel line going into the injection pump and have someone crank it and see if you have supply fuel to the pump .. that will eliminate anything up stream on the feed side .... if you have no fuel start following it back till you find some and correct the problem .... also make sure someone wasn't being funny and turned off the fuel shut off valve ... most have one on the bottom of the tank ... If you have fuel at the injection pump ... crack an injector line at the pump and see if you have any there .. most likely not ... take a test light and check for 24 volts on the fuel shut off solenoid .. I am pretty sure it has a fuse for that circuit ... if you have 24 volts then make sure you have a good ground ... If I remember correctly there is a relay in the dash under the control panel that will occasionally fail and you get the no start .... these are places to look ... its most likely something relatively simple ... always remember to check the easy stuff first ...
Awesome information guys...I really appreciate all the help and I am so glad I found this forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am going out to work on it tomorrow night and I'll let you know what I find.
what did you find was wrong with your dozer, overhaulin?
I am going over to work on the machine tonight and I'll be happy to share my findings once we get it running again.
Good call Delmar!! I started cracking the fuel lines after the shutoff valve and everything seemed to be good until I got to the shutoff solenoid on the injection pump. Once I removed the shutoff solenoid I could see it was bad because it came out in pieces. I replaced the solenoid with a CNH solenoid. I removed all the air from the system and lastly opened up the bleed port on the injection pump while turning over at WOT. Once the air was removed from the injector I tightened it back up and proceeded to loosen the nuts on the injectors and cranked it over until I got fuel leaking out of them and then tightened them down. Hit the key and she fired right up. I also found there is a 5 amp fuse in the panel for the shutoff solenoid so if you're having the same issue don't over look this little fuse. Thanks again guys for all the help.... time to move some dirt!