Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine stuck

divedigger ยท 2023-10-15 20:35

Ive got a cat 943 with the 3204 engine that has sat for 5 yrs and now its stuck. Im planning on pulling injectors and putting somthing in there to break it loose . Its not from anything going down the exhaust as that was covered good. What are some good solvents you have used that will break it loose? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1OzDozer2023-10-15 21:34

    A 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF is what all the restorers recommend.

  2. #2skyking12023-10-15 21:47

    Thanks for that @OzDozer I wondered what worked best and those who do it often have it figured out.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2023-10-15 22:48

    My buddy was an aircraft mechanic and he swore jet fuel was the best to free a stuck engine.

  4. #4OzDozer2023-10-15 22:52

    I've also used a 50/50 mix of diesel and ATF. It worked O.K., but I believe the Acetone and ATF is more effective. I've never used the Acetone/ATF mix, just keep getting it recommended to me. The engine I used the diesel/ATF mix on was shot, anyway! It was an F-227 Continental in a Cat V60B forklift. I don't know what the previous owners had done, the forklift must have been stored in the open by the ocean for a long time - when I finally got the engine freed up, the bore damage was horrible, so I had to rebore the engine, anyway. If the rings are just stuck from moisture, and no water has got into the cylinders, they will normally free up and run O.K. without further work. But water in the cylinders over a period of time is just so destructive.

  5. #5sawmilleng2023-10-16 14:42

    If you put some value to the machine, I would think that 5 years of sitting would suggest that at minimum you remove the head and have a look before trying to force the engine to rotate. Seeing the extent of damage that 5 years of unknown weather inside the engine is better than playing roulette by forcing it to turn...condensation can be a bitch!! Best of luck in whatever you try...let us know!! Jon.

  6. #6divedigger2023-10-16 14:58

    Hadnt thought of it that way but it makes sense to pull head then put in whatever and let it work.

  7. #7Delmer2023-10-16 23:04

    What have you tried so far? Removing the starter and gently prying on the ring gear would be my next step, then you can verify the starter turns freely also.

  8. #8divedigger2023-10-19 16:59

    Just put a new starter on but will pull off to turn ring gear with pry bar, Thanks