Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine swap candidates for a Fiat Allis FR15B

harmetp ยท 2020-03-24 16:34

I recently acquired a FA FR15 wheel loader with a bad Iveco engine (one cylinder sleeve cracked, head needs injector cups). The rebuild kit is expensive and it needs a lot of head work. I think I can install a common engine for less dollars. So far a mechanical 8.3 cummins or DT466 International would fit and are about the right displacement. I'm wanting to avoid plumbing an air to air intercooler, but it looks like there is plenty of room to replumb intake, exhaust, coolant and oil coolers. I'm making the assumption that the transmission will use an SAE type bell housing and some sort of flex plate drive. So, are there piles of Iveco 8365.25 engines laying around in good shape, ready to install? Does the FR15b transmission have a SAE, more universal bellhousing/flex plate set up (ie. like an allison)? Any thoughts on my swap engine choices? Thanks

Replies17
  1. #1dozr2020-03-25 02:02

    i have always said with a welder and a good cutting tool anything can be done,some time just cost more.

  2. #2Vetech632020-03-25 07:12

    You would have a lot less headache and expense if you just had your cylinder head/sleeve repaired and replaced. Why go through all that fabrication and unexpected crap?

  3. #3harmetp2020-03-25 09:29

    Thanks for the replies. Yes anything can be created and often it's fun especially if some of the bigger issues like connection to the torque converter is easy. The reason I'm looking for something different is there are about no iveco engines in the US. I believe the only reason I can get a kit is that CNH uses iveco motors for tractors, combines, etc so there is a parts connection. I probably can only get new parts. I guess I see a bigger headache with the iveco than the swap. The other consideration is I bought this for $1000 and in running condition it's worth maybe $11K. Any rebuilt engine is going to be well over that and probably would have to come from europe. It's a nice enough machine to fix.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2020-03-25 10:02

    I would vote for an 8.3, and against a 466, because 8.3s are everywhere, and Cummins is thriving, and International has made such a problem for themselves, just based on the health of the respective companies. In the generator world I see a lot of Ivecos in passing, so I think they are not as uncommon as you think. I believe they are handled by Fiat Power Train, FPT for short, so maybe if you look for FPT dealers in your area, you can find somebody who is willing to help, and not have to go to the extreme of a retrofit.

  5. #5Mother Deuce2020-03-25 10:26

    I hate it when all the holes disappear.

  6. #6Vetech632020-03-26 07:00

    True......but I have yet to see the fun in it. Again......its always exciting in the beginning, and usually ends up with "what the hell was I thinking?".........along with your expected budget blown all to hell..........sorta like when a guy gets married.

  7. #7terex herder2020-03-26 07:08

    I don't mean to belittle your fabrication skills, but your 11K value isn't for a machine with a fabricobble engine. There is a reason you bought it for scrap price, and the best chance of making money with the machine is to part it out.

  8. #8harmetp2020-03-26 09:23

    I'm not going to sell it ever unless my wife makes me. She occassionally has an aversion to wheel loaders. I just don't want a pile of money in the loader and it would nice to have an engine that is more common for wear stuff (fuel pump, injectors, filters, etc). IDK, I may rebuild the iveco once I get it out. I guess I'm used to farming where we repowered all sorts of 4wd tractors. Often it was to replace an IH or JD poorly executed big V8. I guess that is not as common in heavy equipment?

  9. #9terex herder2020-03-26 12:07

    Farmer? Then we have to take a page out of Jon Kinzenbaw's playbook. Put a two-stroke Detroit in it. I don't believe that man ever saw a piece of equipment but what he thought it would be better with a Detroit. And he did a super good job of it. But I sure wouldn't want to listen to a 318 Detroit in an open station tractor all day long at full rack. At least with construction equipment you usually get off the throttle every cycle. I think construction equipment didn't need repowers like farm tractors because it was built so much better from the factory.

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-03-26 12:47

    I knew a guy who went through 6 P&H excavators with 6V-53's running full tilt 8-12 hours a day. He didn't hear very well.

  11. #11Tinkerer2020-03-26 17:53

    I pulled a chisel plow over a lot of acres back in 1970's with a John Deere 4020 with an 8-71 Detroit conversion. It was set up for tractor pulling and had straight pipes. OMG !! I don't hear very well for some reason !

  12. #12grf_10002020-09-10 00:32

    i know this is an older thread but i have a FR15B and had a turbo let loose, taking out the motor. I ended up doing a 24valve cummins swap. A lot of fab work for inter cooler, oil pan ect. It bolted to the ZF trans. with a new bushing. Had to use an inverter. Engine 12volts and everything else 24 volts. If i was to to it again, i'd stick with the Iveco.

  13. #13harmetp2020-09-10 05:22

    Thanks, I'm bidding on a good short block and hope to reman the head. I didn't expect to find one.

  14. #14Vetech632020-09-10 07:04

    You and your marriage will be thankful.

  15. #15Chris Hyde2020-09-13 22:26

    I have a FR 15 with a bad transmission. Motor is good. Where are you located?

  16. #16Scrapman2022-07-10 07:49

    I know this is a long shot . But do you still have the FR 15 engine ?

  17. #171693TA2022-07-10 07:57

    I still have three two stroke Detroit Diesels and they have gotten much quieter as I've aged.....