Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine swap info education

Lowlife ยท 2025-03-05 13:55

Looking to swap something into my 44d hanomag. Loader, good. Engine, junk. How do I go about determining what can or will fit. Are all heavy equipment supposed to have SAE bellhousings etc? If this is true how does this affect interchange etc. I have the ability to modify and make parts, just looking for a little guidance on industry standards etc. I think there is a correlation between hanomag and mercedes. But a mercedes diesel appears to be a unicorn around here. Perkins powered combines are a dime a dozen.

Replies7
  1. #1ozarkag2025-03-05 21:59

    1 physical size 2 bell housing, Trans/ pump mount 3 motor mounts 4 plumbing, coolant air exhaust 5 electrical What's in it now? How does the engine couple to transmission? Any auxiliary pump drives?

  2. #2Lowlife2025-03-06 13:35

    The original hanomag. Not able to answer the questions yet. I need to crack the manual and look. I believe that Hanomag built the MF44d massey which uses a perkins. Not sure what else they changed if anything other than the engine. hey also built the Terex but I havent looked into that yet. Just starting this venture.

  3. #3Shimmy12025-03-06 21:51

    Does the engine have a torque converter attached to it, or does it just have a driveshaft to the transmission?

  4. #4chidog2025-03-06 22:43

    Any swap can be done, just takes a good machinist, the material and proper tools, lots of $ etc. Special adapters can be made to mate any engine up to any transmission or drive system.

  5. #5Lowlife2025-03-09 20:45

    TQ Yeah I wouldn't call myself a "good" machinist, but I have the equipment and always manage.

  6. #670 eliminator2025-05-15 13:18

    if its the original hanomag motor and not a perkins then i am not sure of belhousing. but if a perkins get a t6.354 turbo 6cyl should fit like a glove.

  7. #7Lowlife2025-05-15 15:21

    Been looking for that exact motor. No success so far unless I buy the whole combine. I figured that if it's going to be a exact or close as possible fit that's my go to. Considering a massey 44d is made by hanomag and has a perkins engine I'll make it work.....hopefully.