Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Engine swap recommendations

esarratt ยท 2020-11-17 05:12

I have an old excavator that I am going to do an engine swap on. I have a few questions: 1) Is there a problem with using a non-turbo engine to replace a turbo engine. I'm not worried about the extra weight or the size issues. 2) What specs do I need to match up on the new engine? I am thinking the horsepower curve to rpm ratio needs to be fairly similar to the old engine, correct? 3) Is there any benefit or danger to increasing the horsepower of the new engine? Say, 5-10 horsepower?

Replies3
  1. #1Vetech632020-11-17 07:50

    What machine are you doing a engine swap in? It will make alot of difference if it is a later model with ECU, TCU, and VCU's.

  2. #2esarratt2020-11-17 07:52

    No ECU or computer stuff in the original machine. It will be a mechanical engine.

  3. #3Welder Dave2020-11-17 14:03

    Would help greatly to know what machine and what engine. HP usually doesn't care if it's turbo or not as long as RPM and torque are similar.