Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Entering Motor Grader

Mbcuce ยท 2013-06-21 08:02

I have several operators that are differing on the safest way to enter a motor grader. Some say the mouldboard can be used as a step, others say no. Everything I find just mentions using 3 poinst of contact but there is no mention of standing on the mould board. Does anyone know if this is an acceptible way to enter the equipment? Thanks.

Replies11
  1. #1Silveroddo2013-06-21 12:08

    Depends on the machine, exiting is sketchier than entering on alot of them. From an OSHA perspective as long as a person is able (and does) to maintain three points of contact at all times I dont think it matters if your using the mouldboard or a tire to reach the first step. (I.E. stepping on the blade while holding onto the handles and raising your foot to reach a step, etc. I've heard of older or larger gentleman using the blade lift cylinders to raise and lower them to a certain degree, which is probably not a safe practice and is not somthing OSHA would like to see if they were on a site visit

  2. #2Mbcuce2013-06-21 13:14

    Thanks Siveroddo, it doesnt seem like it would be recommeded but I agree that if they use three points of contact it should be ok.

  3. #3CascadeScaper2013-06-23 00:14

    The moldboard is a step as long as it's sitting on the ground and a not using the lift cylinder as an elevator. Hate when I have to climb into a blade that doesn't have a corner of the board tucked under the ladder and I never get out of one unless I've tucked an end under. Ran a Deere 772CH that has kind of a halfway step, one right under the cab reveal and another on the front of the tandem case. Really awkward going up and flat dangerous coming down since there's no hanging ladder, the board is pretty much a requirement for a step.

  4. #4rsherril2013-06-23 07:52

    I added cable steps to my JD570A to help with ingress and egress. It also gives me a "thump-thump" warning when moving and I'm approaching full articulation and that helps me keep the blade from contacting the front tandems.

  5. #5Nige2013-06-23 09:01

    Nothing wrong with using the moldboard as a step provided it's on the ground. Our operators general park the machines with the moldboard set just right to aid the entry to or exit from the cab.

  6. #6ovrszd2013-06-23 13:37

    I've ran Deere machines for 24 years beginning with a 670B to the current 770G. On the older models I always parked with the blade in a position to use it. With the G model I don't find that necessary. It has a three step ladder that is plenty low enough to use without the moldboard. What I don't like is the G ladder is also exposed to being hooked with the blade. You really have to pay attention to not tear it off. So it's kind of a trade off. I'm blessed with good health so don't have a problem getting in or out. I'd rather not have this extended ladder so I wouldn't have to worry about hitting it with the blade.

  7. #7AKSNOW2013-06-23 18:47

    We had an operator slip on the moldboard (snow/ice) and messed his knee up bad enough to require surgery and workmans comp.Afterwards the company issued a safety bulletin stating the manufacturer (Cat 14m) says in the operating manual the moldboard is not a step and without non slip or grating not intended as such. I still use it and always have!

  8. #8ovrszd2013-06-24 14:54

    This isn't a great picture angle cause I really wasn't focusing on the step ladder. But you can get an idea of how low it hangs. Easier to get your foot on the bottom rung than it is to get your foot on top of the moldboard.

  9. #9Nige2013-06-25 09:16

    Either that grader must have awful small tyres or you've got awful long legs ............... :tong Cat M Series you have to be very careful with the moldboard to avoid hitting the steps with it.

  10. #10Greg2013-06-25 11:42

    I am sure the OSHA man will find something wrong with the approach no matter how the operator may elect to enter the cab of the machine. I have even heard of cases where the operator was sited because he was not wearing a safety harness and lanard if standing in the cab while operating the machine. These clowns have taken all of the joy out of the business and have made it impossible to be in compliance with their laws. Glad I don't have to deal with it any longer.

  11. #11Bluetop Man2013-07-02 13:40

    <<>> Done it a million times, and always did it during work hours if the engine was left running. Also took a pretty bad spill once on account of slippage and wound up on my ass. Good thing nobody saw it happen. On the other hand, it might have been hours before the found me. Still, not bad, one slip in millions of mounts. P.S., Always mount a grader on the left side like a horse, or it can throw you.