Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Entertaining dozer mechanicing

chidog · 2023-05-12 03:34

I've done some of what they are doing by my self many times. I suppose they are getting this ready to sell this on machinery trader? It would be interesting to see how long that final lasts. Wonder why they have so many pads off the track?

Replies15
  1. #1nicky 68a2023-05-12 06:02

    I’ve seen these boys on YouTube plenty of times pulling finals down on D8’s and repairing the seemingly impossible. How successful are they?hard to tell,but they repair what we can’t and labour is extremely cheap.If that 155 final lasts a month,they’ll be happy. Not for me though

  2. #2epirbalex2023-05-13 18:32

    I've noticed there is a guy in white when they pull sprockets around keeping an eye on proceedings .

  3. #3CM19952023-05-13 19:38

    Pretty damn good job of making do with what they have.

  4. #4Birken Vogt2023-05-13 19:42

    I want to know how many hours for a rich American to do the job vs how many man hours it takes them especially the pad bolts. I've done that general idea of things also many times, "here I am in the woods, might as well do it by hand it will still be quicker than going back to town"

  5. #5Oxbow2023-05-13 20:44

    I wonder if they have to count toes at the end of every day. Seems like a good way to lose one the way they handle things. It may not be top tier work, but I would say they do pretty good!

  6. #6Shimmy12023-05-13 22:26

    It's also why they all hate us.

  7. #7OzDozer2023-05-13 22:35

    The lifespan and reliability of their repairs is about 1/5th of a proper repair done in our Western cultures, using new components, and measuring with decent machine shop tools. When I look at some of their truck and bus repairs, you can understand why their road toll is far higher than any of ours.

  8. #8tctractors2023-05-15 15:43

    Well you have to give them a pat on the back for doing things with the limited kit they have but the bearing fit looked a bit worrying and the shaft fitting without the Liquid Nitrogen is new to me, I near always do this type of work by myself as it's not to bad a job, the new gasket looked a treat as did the puller legs they have made, but these people always let things fly to bits which is something I struggle to understand as I always Pop and Stop the rim flying, but they are doing O.K.

  9. #9chidog2023-05-15 17:49

    They have the press thats the huge most important thing to have. They live by the don't force it rule. "Don't force it get a bigger hammer"

  10. #10CM19952023-05-16 08:32

    Spent a little time in 2nd and 3rd world countries over the years. Once saw a 24.5 truck tire with a bolted metal patch on a sidewall in Central American "truck stop". This truck stop also had some of the coldest beer around which was why I was in said truck stop in the first place.

  11. #11OzDozer2023-05-16 09:21

    Ya gotta shake your head at the Pakistani tyre repair guys. How long they expect an L-5 earthmover tyre with a destroyed carcass to last with a pile of hand stitching and crude vulcanising is anyones guess - but I'd give it a week, in normal rock loading operations.

  12. #12Birken Vogt2023-05-16 09:55

    The repair must be worth something...their time is valuable too even if it is of a different relative value than a man's time in the first world, and who is going to put a tire on a machine if it pops again in a few shifts? And spend all the time to change it again?

  13. #131693TA2023-05-16 09:57

    I too have seen that type repair in Europe but it was a sandwich type affair composed of rubber, rubberized mesh, bedding sealant, and some type of non corrosive Fasteners. Seemed to work well and was on a dual steer dump truck running the roads.

  14. #14OzDozer2023-05-16 10:06

    I reckon this guy definitely has a truck tyre repair that's speed-limited ....

  15. #15Pony2023-05-16 16:49

    Ah the good old double plugger. Do our American friends have those?