Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EPA Getting Comfortable With Urea

CEwriter · 2007-04-17 22:09

This story from Fleet Owner http://fleetowner.com/equipment/news/epa_warms_to_scr_solution/ indicates that "EPA has reconsidered its stance against selective catalytic reduction (SCR) as a viabletechnology for on-highway diesel engines to meet stringent 2010 emissions standards, and sent a letter to manufacturers outlining its intent to certify SCR engines. "EPA had previously resisted the certification of SCR-equipped vehicles because the system relies heavily on the end user filling “a second tank†of urea regularly. Just as fuel is consumed to keep an engine running, urea is consumed to produce the emissions benefits of SCR. Additionally, EPA was concerned about developing a sufficient national infrastructure to provide end users a convenient supply of urea or ammonia." I understand that SCR is used in European heavy trucks and urea is widely available. Interesting stuff. 2010 is not far away . . .

Replies7
  1. #1surfer-joe2007-04-17 22:31

    It would be real nice if EPA forgot about putting owners to the expense of maintaining yet another pollution device of questionable value overall.

  2. #2Orchard Ex2007-04-17 23:10

    So when do the urea jokes start? Is the tank filler inside the cab? Will this mean and end to "trucker bombs"?

  3. #3OKYLE2007-05-17 19:20

    god... if only they made only Long Haul truckers have to do that... Be so worthwhile!

  4. #4Countryboy2007-05-17 23:11

    I had to pass a "urea" test to get my job........and I don't even own a diesel.......:beatsme

  5. #5Dwan Hall2007-05-18 00:48

    I think what it all boils down to is they are looking for some place to dispose of all that **** we have had to send in. LOL OOps sorry to late to edit.

  6. #6thejdman042007-05-20 10:07

    hwo much will it cost, how often will it have to be filled and where can you fill it? can anyone fill it?

  7. #7CEwriter2007-05-21 11:36

    Good questions. I don't have definitive answers, but here is the general thinking. A big part of the challenge is getting the distribution network established. That will influence the price. It is used pretty widely in Europe, so there is probably experience over there that will be repeated here -- ie: cost of urea as a percentage of fuel cost, etc. The object would be for diesel retailers to carry urea, as many/most do in Europe. I believe anyone can fill the tank. I suspect truck makers size the urea tank so that it has to be refilled no more often than the truck's fuel tanks.