Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

EPDM belt rejuvenate

Shimmy1 ยท 2022-01-30 13:43

Has anyone ever been able to discover something that works to soften up a EPDM serpentine belt? I have a alternator belt on an ISM that is squealing like a stuck pig and I can't get a belt until tomorrow. I know belt dressing doesn't work, I've sprayed soapy water on it and it instantly quiets down. Belt looks perfectly fine, just a little age. Any ideas that last?

Replies2
  1. #1Truck Shop2022-01-30 15:52

    Nothing works for ailing/squealing serpentine. It's the dirt and dust imbedded in the belt. When I worked ag, those belts would only last one season out in the wheat fields.

  2. #2tool_king2022-02-02 22:33

    You can take piece of emery cloth put it over a paint stick long ways and let it rub on the back of the belt a bit .I have done in the passed and it worked . Also deglaze the idler pulley .