Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment keyrings…where, how, what?

heymccall · 2019-02-12 13:26

Been entrusted to supply keys to personnel here. OEM keys are $$$$, Especially when in quantity. On some equipment (ones without compartment locks), I've changed the keyswitch over to Deere (yellow). Some keys I have to cut. Some I still have to buy OEM (Abloy comes to mind). Have to mark every key. Key straps prove hard to source. Carabiners with hole for ring prove hard to source. Safe harbor parts had some pre cut. Most keys could be stamped. Had to melt "yanmar" into plastic key head. Just finished 50 sets...willing to share info, and looking for better ideas. Do you provide full sets to employees? Do you have source(s) for precut for under $1.50ea? Do you stamp your keys? Do you add a fob? Do you add a hook (carabiner)?

Replies26
  1. #1Vetech632019-02-12 14:26

    Ive been really liking the JD keypad.

  2. #2John C.2019-02-12 14:55

    I've got a couple of sets on regular key rings. The problem I have with them is that plastic covering with a too small of slot and the keys get stuck in one place on the ring. Some of the metal ones have the same issue. I've been thinking of taking a die grinder to them. On one ring I have a big hinged D ring with the hooked ends. It seems to let the keys slide around OK but I'm afraid that at some point it will get unhooked and I'll be fishing in a console for lost keys.

  3. #3StumpyWally2019-02-12 17:05

    Boy, what a necessary....but PITA....job!!! I don't have anything better to suggest....it looks like you have it well in hand.

  4. #4funwithfuel2019-02-12 19:01

    Have you considered maybe a piece of coated cable with the crimp making an endless loop. Previous shop had our lube guys keys like that. Too big to lose, not so jammed up you couldn't use them

  5. #5Junkyard2019-02-12 19:26

    I don’t know what each set ended up costing you but often I end up buying sets off eBay. Already marked etc. Only drawback is the issue with keychain OD vs key ID. A cable would solve that problem. I think it would be fun to leave them unmarked or mix them up But that’s just me!

  6. #6heymccall2019-02-12 20:30

    Carabiner $2.12 Key strap $1.32 Abloy padlock key $10 Barrel key for trailer tongue $2 Cat $1.43 Track loader door (CH751) $1.43 Kubota (new) $1.43 Kubota $1.79 Yanmar $1.43 Takeuchi $1.43 Deere (yellow) $1.79 Komatsu $1.43 Case $1.43 IHI $1.43 Kobelco blank $.77 Hamm blank $1.04 Master lock blank $.34 1/2" ring x3... $.22 So, $33 ea plus labor. Times 50 sets = $1650 50 coworkers, so, I wonder how long until I have to make more?

  7. #7heymccall2019-02-12 20:42

    Keys are stamp ID'd because I'm the guy who has to pick out the broken off keys. I elongated hole in Deere key, paired both Kubota on a 1/2" ring as I couldn't figure how to mark the new one (plastic head), paired Cat with CH751 on 1/2" ring, rounded out triangle hole on Yanmar key, and put all 3 lock keys on 1/2" ring. No issues with usage in any of the ignitions (plenty floppy). Used to use dog leash clips, but thought I'd try carabiners. But, I've got those on 1/2" rings permanent, too. Can't just unclip it. As for buying sets, they dont have Hamm, IHI, and a few of the others, plus, they dont have the three lock keys. Premade sets were pushing $50 ea.

  8. #8Junkyard2019-02-12 20:45

    I haven’t bought any in a long time. I never had what I needed lol. Last set I bought was back when the Volvo laser cut key came out. I’d say you did damn good!

  9. #9John C.2019-02-12 22:00

    I'll second that about the job you did. What are you going to charge the guys when they lose a set by leaving in a machine being moved?

  10. #10Junkyard2019-02-12 22:49

    Leave their new set in the bottom of a porta-potty?

  11. #11Tugger22019-02-12 23:03

    Thats some serious work over keys ,Im impressed. On my stuff i use master padlocks on the doors ,if your missing the key a marlin spike gets you in .

  12. #1203hdrk2019-02-12 23:50

    Around N Texas you can buy a set of keys like you are building at any RDO and many other dealers. I am sure you can get the keys for cheaper, but if you think about the labor... I have seen a set for about $40 and a larger set for about $90. I keep a set in my service truck and usually have what I need.

  13. #13heymccall2019-02-13 09:01

    Still need a key for the door. And still get a call once a month or so asking for the start code, and, sometimes even, how to start the stupid thing. As for price, remember, most sets come without the keys stamp ID'd, and, I've also got $12 worth of exclusive to me keys... So, 12 equipment keys (3 are for trailer locks) stamped and ringed for $21, plus labor.

  14. #14John C.2019-02-13 10:58

    That's and amazingly low cost. I bought a standard ring set from the Case dealer years ago to pull keys off for spares that cost $40. It had about ten different keys but didn't have any Volvo keys.

  15. #15heymccall2019-02-13 11:07

    Can't remember where I got them, and, I think they were $3 ea. Volvo excavator keys (OEM had green head). Sold my last volvo, so they don't go on my rings anymore.

  16. #16shaggy6502019-02-14 21:16

    I would love to get my hands on a couple of those Volvo keys with no plastic if you remember where you got them. The big plastic head is just so bulky on those.

  17. #17John C.2019-02-14 23:25

    Volvo thinks their keys are made of gold now days. A wheel loader key cost me $30 a couple of years ago. The excavator key was around $9.00.

  18. #18heymccall2019-02-14 23:28

    For the plasticless Volvo keys, I couldn't find where I got them, but, looking around, I found all the keys for less. #32 in this list doesn't have the plastic head. Here http://machine-keys.com/ordermachinekeys.htm

  19. #19Old Doug2019-02-17 15:02

    I would make the guy that losses his set pay for them. Were i work they keep the spare keys in a small building. About every one but me has a key to this building it is supposed to be unlocked first thing every day and stays unlocked all day. If i walk the 1/4 mile to it to get a key and its locked i dont work on any thing that i need a key for. I have lost it over this deal more than ones and they said they were going to put a keypad lock on this door but it hasnt happened yet.I ask if they could be moved to the other building it has a keypad and is locked up unless some one is working there. They didnt like that ideal. I am trying to make it to summer then find something else to do.

  20. #20Don.S2019-02-20 20:14

    And that is when I would say no thank you for another set you can come unlock and start everything for me. That's the price of doing business things get broken and things get lost.

  21. #21td25c2019-02-20 21:05

    Key stays with the machine . Sure way to loose a key is put it in your pocket & take home every day .

  22. #22Bumpsteer2019-02-20 22:23

    This.... Have a pipline company that rents a lot from me when they work in the area, keys are always left on the equipment. The boss has laughed his ass off more than once when I re-arranged the lot to mow the grass. Ed

  23. #23Skeans12019-02-24 15:32

    That sounds cheap some of the euro equipment like our wheel harvester are like the pickups with a chipped key for the door and only two fobs to get in.

  24. #24old-iron-habit2019-03-06 21:48

    Another thing to think about is when you get a big set of keys hanging in the ignition, the weight juggling around can ruin the switch. A buddy that works in a larger auto shop says they replace about 3 switches a week usually at 60,000 to 80,000 miles in a smooth riding car. They always get a big set of keys plus toy junk hanging on the original key ring.

  25. #25willie592019-03-06 22:10

    That looks like Depco Products keys, that's where I purchased all my keys and master sets. > http://www.depcoproducts.com/

  26. #26Mother Deuce2019-03-10 12:18

    I have always subscribed to the idea that as the operator I supplied my key's. It would be a little like a wrench showing up with no tools. When I go to work for a company I acquire keys for the machines I run, if I don't already own them. Some companies supply them others don't, takes a day or two to get them if I have to buy it. Either way it becomes mine. If you need it back, you can keep it I will go get my own. Your gate key or shop key or other security related items I will happily return to you. My key rings live in the car on carabiners and whatever keys I need on the project are on the "working set" I am using at the moment and they are clipped to a loop on my vest. Each key is on a small ring to make its removal and use easy.