Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment Moving

Willis Bushogin ยท 2007-11-09 21:34

1995 Ford F350 dually, crewcab, with a 9 ton gooseneck trailer, 12,ooo lb forestry mulcher, not sure of the weight of the trailer or truck. Question is??? will this be a legal package, I have been told that its possible I will need a CDL class A, I know I could have all this weighed, but the closest scales is 2 hrs away and what if I get stopped, DOT is bad in our area. Just wondered if anyone has this setup and has been checked by the MAN Thanks in advance

Replies3
  1. #1digger242j2007-11-09 22:04

    Since you need a Class A to tow any trailer over 10,000 lbs., I'd say you're already there, and then some...

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2007-11-09 22:12

    Towing Thanks for the input

  3. #3Willis Bushogin2007-12-08 21:48

    Me and the DOT Well I can now answer my own question, it only cost me $1200 to learn the hard way. Now before I get any I told you so, I was in a bind and couldnt get a truck to move the Fecon machine, so a friend of mine said take my 10 ton trailer and move it with your F350. I really needed to get it to the next job or lose it, so I thought with my bank account, not my head. So the story begins, left around 5am, went to pick the machine up, loaded the machine and headed to the next job, everything going great, UNTIL, up ahead, no not Santa Claus Mr DOT inspection. Pulled up, first thing he looked at was no safety break away box, pull over the man says (remember this is a borrowed trailer) now he wants the truck registration card, next weigh the truck and load, 13,000 lb over weight, this is not good. so he put a out of service sticker on the trailer and I had to get a lowboy to come get the trailer and the machine (lucky I found one, this time) $340 Guess if there is any reason I am sharing this, is to tell everyone to make sure about the weight on your pickups, its real easy to forget. I needed a total of 30,000 lb to be legal and if you borrow a trailer, make sure its legal before you hook it up. The trailer also didnt have a federal inspection sticker, the truck is required to have a federal inspection sticker and a fuel sticker, if the load is over 26,000 lb ( I think the weight is correct) so with my tail between my legs, I learned the hard way. Hope this helps someone