i want to start a thread that is all about equipment pics so if you have some cool pics share them for everyone to see
some of mine
Cool, maybe not.....different? Yes...
Here's a shot of our 312 taken this summer. Working by the lake, loved that job. The house next door is a rental house and the people were hosed that I was working, but in 95 degree heat their very attractive daughters (over 18 I might add) were frolicking around in their bikinis. :thumbsup
On the move Here is our dump/tag trailer with the 70SR Kobelco.
So you take pics of your 312 and not the women? :nono
:lmao :lmao
As a part-time photographer, I'm well aware of consentual laws. The last thing I needed was a lawsuit.
Heres one I found from a job where we dug for a new propane tank install. The homeowners didnt want to cut any trees, so it made for some tight quarters. I trimmed a few branches to prevent any machine damage. Damn Tree-Huggers:Banghead
Here is a picture of us setting beams for a bridge that we built for access to our shale/topsoil pit. I am in the excavator taking the picture.
Here is a picture of my D4G and of cource me and my wife. :yup
a few pics of some of our farm equipment. pics of construction equip will be up soon..(as soon as i feel like takin them. these pics are kinda old and im sure some of u have seen them before)
Heres the lowbed with skid steer on it.
Screening some loam this summer for my new house. doug
This picture makes me laugh. Definitely not enough truck there for that skid
Work Pics Here is one of our toys that we use at trade shows and demos. 55mph not bad!! We are having a chip put in so it will get another 10mph. Just cause we can haha!:bouncegri
My Equip The first pic is of our Jaw Crusher bucket. The second is of our screening bucket. Bigger toys than our quad car!
ecocrusher1 where in NJ are you located? Nice pics btw.:thumbsup What equipment do you run besides what you have above?
We are South Jersey, and we have evrything from skid steers up to a 7 yard Hyundai loader and everything in between. We actually own 2 companies, one is a Plumbing and Excavating company and the other sells the buckets I have pics of.
what do those units sell for on a 200 sized excavator? the screen or the crusher? approx how many ton per hr. do either of them produce?
ECO-CRUSHER & Flip Screen Questions I would love to answer any and all questions on those products. However, I do not want to break the forum policies against using their site as a platform for my products. I mainly use this site to gain a lot of useful knowledge about an industry where I am still just getting my feet wet. I can tell you however that production rates will vary on the crusher based on the sizing and hardness of the starting material and the sizing of the end product. It can create a product from 6" minus down to 1" minus. We have clients that get 50 ton an hour at 2 1/2" minus in granite and clients that get 80 ton an hour at 1" minus on concrete. The Flip Screen gets around 120 yard per hour at 1 1/2" minus. The screen is interchangeable from 3/8" up to 8" minus. Both products can be adjusted in less than 10-15 minutes with one person. If you would like pricing or more info send me an email at [email protected] or you can call me at 609-268-3451. I will be happy to answer any and all questions that do not violate forum policy on this thread but would prefer not to use this site because I do value the info I get from here and do not want to be banned.:notworthy
Wrong smiley! This is the one you should be worried about: :ban :ban :ban :wink2 But seriously....Thanks for respecting the rules. And don't worry, nobody will get banned without a warning (with the exception of certain spammers that register with no intention of ever participating in what this site is about.) I make this post so as to assure everyone else that if they find your product of interest, they're free to ask quetions, and you're free to answer them. Information exchange is what the site is all about. There have been a few others who posted about their products, and nothing was said to them, until they posted the same information in multiple locations. Even then, they weren't banned, and the initial postings remain in public view, although the multiple ones have been removed. (It is sort of disappointing though, that the ones I'm thinking of haven't participated in any of the other discussions. I guess they weren't really interested in anything here except what they're trying to sell. :beatsme ) That having been said, I'll just add a shameless plug for HEF itself (not aimed solely at you, but to everybody)--a smart businessman, if he finds he's getting leads by the exposure he gets here, would recognize that fact, and consider contacting Steve about becoming a sponsor. :thumbsup
those Rangers are really nice...my neighbor has one on their farm... he uses it a lot...mainly to get him & his chain saws back in where he cuts some timber/firewood each year his son uses it to tend traps, etc. and to get to the farm pond to fish his son & a friend were in it...made a sharp left at too high of speed & rolled it a couple times...didn't get hurt...but bent the rollcage over about 6 - 8" it took me about 3 hours to get it all back straight...chaining one side to the dump...then used come-a-longs hooked to a track loader on the other side. had to take the center bolts out & do 1/2 at a time... that model is not supposed to be used on a jobsite...the construction model won't go over 25 mph...says OSHA
Shots of a 12,000 sf house burn we cleaned up. The insurance company didn’t like my hard number so we went time and materials fortunately for me with all the rain we had. We had a couple loads go out with the truck weighing in at 80k gross solo. We had to save the foundation so the insurance company only had to pay out $1mil, if the foundation wasn’t saved the insurance co had to pay a total loss of $3mil.
More......
This is in the basement of a historic building in Seattle where we excavated 200 yds with a Brokk and buggies.
Random shots, The white endump was just something I saw going down the road. I've never seen a set like that.
Crusher and screener buckets. These are 2 of the coolest attachments I've personally seen in a long time. Didn't even realize they existed. I guess I've been living out in the woods too long...:sleeping
Nice pics. That brokk is neat , didnt know they had a digging arrangement. Did you build those cab and window guards ? Or did you buy them somewhere? I need one for a 1996 Kobelco 200 and have been kinda thinking of building one. doug
On the Komatsu the local dealer built it inhouse aswell as the underhouse and swivel guard. The rear engine and pump doors in that picture are not the factory units, they were built locally with 3/8 steel for added protection but still gives a factory look. The Hitachi cab guard is built by Hiline Portafab In Washington. Go to hpf.com.
Thanks for the info. 3/8" side doors are cool !
some of my pic's. minimax
WAWrecker, I would love to go to work for you guys.
yeah WAWrecker, you looking for another operator, whats the pay like? :yup im not really looking for another job, i just like to look
Case machine we were trying out.
Here is a little demo job we did a while back.
Here is a rock drilling and splitting job I just finished.
Here is a crusher i rented for the day and a pic of a dozer
what did it cost you for rent for that unit on a daily basis like that? how far they have to mobe it in from? looks like a slick way of handling concrete demo. any problems with neighbors complaining of noise, dust?
It was 3,500 for the day with there operator. Ihade tme machine moved for them but it was local cost 150 round trip. It is worth it if you have enough concrete to crush we had about 30 loads and needed on site to level the parking lot around the perimeter an additional 15 feet.
we just pulled up 2 acres of concrete non reinforced parking lot last summer, 6" thick. man, that would have been a slick unit to have had there, ended up hauling all the chunks off, get crushed, and buying the stuff back for sub base material LOL. but this was on a very busy intersection in my town, i don't know if they'd have put up with the noise or dust.
It is not that noisy and it has tanks built in for water (dust Supresion).
So I've been reading for a while (alot of good info, and enjoy the pictures by the way) and seeing pictures of the hook lift trucks and following the story with NAC's new truck and I gotta say, they are pretty slick. And NAC, that is a very nice looking truck!! Anyway, I've seen this type of truck local for hauling of dumpster bins and what not but hauling equipment in them is slick!! I have a couple questions with these, 1) how much weight will that hook pull up? and 2) are the DOT tie down requirments the same when the machine in one of the boxes, or a little less since the box has sides? also I must say, those ramps into the box look a bit light for that dozer, but they seem to be getting the job done.
I have worked in gravel mines and crushers can be loud just need to wear ear protection and safety glasses. Those portable tracked crushers are good for doing those small jobs I don't know what ton per hour that machine NAC rented but they can go though allot of material in a day if its the right size. Old concrete isn't too bad a excavator can bust that up but crushing rock you got to be carefull most machines have a grizzly bars it prevents to large of a rock to pass through and jam up the machine. One of the mines in the area is installing a crusher that will take a rock the size of a 4 door sedan or a small mini van. Its going to be huge a rock that size weighs close to 6-7 ton.
I have a couple questions with these, 1) how much weight will that hook pull up? and 2) are the DOT tie down requirments the same when the machine in one of the boxes, or a little less since the box has sides? also I must say, those ramps into the box look a bit light for that dozer, but they seem to be getting the job done.[/QUOTE] The setup I have on this truck is 10 Tons will do a bit more if the load is balanced right. I do not know about the DOT requirments but I have 4 D rings welded in the 4 corners to tie the machine down. The ramps are light I have put a pretty good bend in them I have heavy steel allready cut just have to have the time to weld it up.
That chrusher is a RM80 Rubblemaster will do 150/Tons and hour idea size is 28"-
Thats not bad the machine doesn't look that big what size were you guys crushing the material too 1" minus ?
we where crushing 3/4" minus.that machine wieghs 25 ton
work pics heres a few for you guys me and the 345cl and are 314clcr,its great im the only shovel operator in the company so i have both machines for me,,but the 345 is my baby lol!!happy digging :thumbsup
What does your company do that they have such a wide range of excavators?? You'd think they would have a couple models in between. LOL NAC is that your dozer?
No the dozer is a rental I do not use a dozer enought to buy one, its is a great tool but have to have a need for one.
He does drain tile with the 345 and mass excavation with the 314 :bouncegri Those 314's are very nice machines......even for a Cat Interesting that you don't have more hoe's.
her is my dozer, EX60, and Skid Steer View attachment dozer.bmp View attachment 2724 View attachment 2725
This is what I did today, each side has to have 8 laterials 50' long. View attachment 2727 Why wash my truck, I have to work is this mud every day:Banghead View attachment 2726
I love the newer Deere dozers they can't make it much more easier to operate plus its very operator friendly.
It took me a little time to get real good at it, knowing exactly where the blade is takes time, but just running it is real simple. I have a laser receiver (depth master) mounted to a mast on the blade and that is great. Same unit I use on my excavator. Grade with in 1/2" if you need to.
Here is a photo of my Dump Truck View attachment 2728
Is it a H or a J? The one I was running for a week was a 550J and I thought it was an amazing little dozer,the 2 joysticks is so much better than the older Dresser and Cats I've been thrown on.
01' 450H LT. Bought it with 1400 hours on it and have done nothing but oil and filters. For a small dozer I can move a lot of material. If I was to do again I would get a 650J (someday). Ran my friends Komatsu D39 and you can move alot more material and the size is still small enough for small spaces.
Big system... Hey jmac, what is this system doing...2 d-boxes that are tied together, with 16 50' laterals? Where are you doing the system..in NY state? I'm just curious, because I do a few in Rennselaer and Washington counties in NY state, and never saw such a system with 2 boxes flowing together...Good job by the way...LowBoy
This is a ridiculously large septic system in Clinton NY. The specs on the system are for 867' of lateral for a 6 bedroom house that I am doing the site work for. Everyone that I have mentioned this system to says that's the biggest they have seen. Way over engineered. Has a 1500 gallon tank and 1000 gallon pumping tank. Two 11 hole "d" boxes with 8 laterals on each side. The leech field is 100' x 50'. The "d" boxes and lateral feed lines have to be close to level so all lines get the same amount of water. The laterials are level ( .35 %) and ends capped. Trenchs 1' of #2 stone, fabric and 1' of topsoil.
Over-engineered is an understatement... That's a BIG field. These engineers sometimes get a little carried away. I'm wondering why they had you go both directions with the lines, rather than having all the lines running parallel...not enough real estate?
We have enough land but the lot drops off alot in grade so this would of made the farthest out laterials not have enough cover (to high). The laterials can be 60' max. Also I could not find one "d" box with 17 holes in it and you couldn't put two d box's in series. Both boxes had to be same distance from pump tank so each box and leterial gets the same amount of water.
The days are gone when we use 3-4" perf pipe its all pressure systems with infiltrators and sand. The pipes the water runs through is 1" with holes drilled in the pipe spread out at a certain distance apart. Some of of the drainfields around here require couple hundred ton of material trucked in. My neighbours the contractor figured it would need 250 tons of material to build up a drainfield bed. A 6 bedroom house would probably require a drainfield that is going to cost 40,000 dollars a average house with 3 bedrooms a person can plan on spending upto 30,000 for a drainfield. The C-33 septic sand isn't cheap either I forget the cost per ton but is somewhere in the 18 dollars per ton range. With our new rules here the contractor or engineer is responsible for and liabilities of the system even if it fails 20 years from now. The gov't has made it so they don't take any blame what soever. Any contractor that wants to install a septic system had to go get certfied I forget what it cost them but it was around 6000 dollars.
Wow, Canada is tuff! I could have used Infiltrators but no cost savings that I could see. The length of laterals does not get any smaller with them even though Infiltrators tells you it does. In New York it is not approved yet to shorten the lateral distance. Infiltrators says you can by 25% but NY has yet to approve that. The system you are talking about is a raised bed system and yes I have seen them used here if the perk test fails. Very few excavators like to fool around with septic including me, but this was part of the new home package and in that case I would do them if I get everything else from the hole to the finished yard.
The new septic fields have made once unusuable lots usuable now because the old gravity feed systems wouldn't work but the new pressure systems will. There are systems that claim the water that comes out of the leech bed is clean enough to drink I don't think I will be having a glass of that. With the sand its suspose to create more surface area for the water to cling to and the bacterial action does the rest.
System I did in Rennselaer County, NY May 2006 Here's a few of my last challenge...My friend is a builder and bought this unique piece of land (7 acres,) on a literally "haystack" shaped parcel. I had to cut a road into the side of the bank like a shelf, hit shale ledge a foot under the grass. First machine I used was a 315 Cat with a thumb. I twisted the road once to drop the grade to a more acceptable pitch for a driveway. I had to be careful at the same time of the neighbor's property line, so I couldn't swing out farther with the road than I did for a more gradual pitch. Once on top, I dug the cellar hole, all shale, peeling seams every inch until down far enough for footings. Still could have used another 2 feet of depth, but to compromise I generated about 300 yards of fill from around the lot and used it later to raise the grade around the foundation for a uniform look.This I did with a D-5 HXL dozer...nice machine... I used a 1000 gal. polyethelene septic tank, and had to run 430' of 4" schedule 40 down over the bank at about a 12/12 pitch for the first 200 feet, then a little less steep down to the acceptable field area. At the D-box it was cut-& dry; 5 50' laterals, 6' on center. 1' of stone under,6" over, filter paper, a foot of cover. Put 1 sq.ft. concrete joint restraints and stuck 1/2" X 2' rebar into concrete and hammered into ground every joint from tank into box, cleanout every 100 ft. Had to build a "shelf" along contour of slope just to work with excavator and lay the pipe, it was so steep for the first 200' from the tank. At one point I had my foot on the windshield frame to keep from falling out of the seat until I got it set up properly.Once across the driveway, it was a little easier going. Not for the faint hearted... I did get some good compliments from the engineer and the county inspector though... It's hard to picture, but the house is about 450 feet up the hill from the D-box.To the right of that is the driveway. Last winter a Mack 10 wheeler loaded with 1" stone drove 3/4 of the way up the driveway, till he couldn't go anymore because he was spinning, loaded.(A little icy that day...) My buddy went out to find a young guy, about 18-20 yrs. old, sitting in the seat holding the brake. He said "you're at the wrong driveway, you should be one over." The kid realized he made a mistake. My buddy told him he might want to dump part of the load right there, because he's not going to be able to get around with the load on, so if he lightens up a bit, he'd be better off. The kid gave him a look as if he were trying to get some free 1" stone, so he just stuffed it in reverse, and started sliding downhill, backwards.Wheels cut all the way to one direction, but sliding and gaining momentum. My buddy said the kid looked up at him with eyes as big as hubcaps, and in slow motion, proceeded to roll the truck over 3 times down over the bank, landing on the drivers door. Took all day the next day with all the big professional excavating contractors in the area lending their two cents and their trackhoes to upright the 'ol gal. I wasn't around at the time of all this trauma personally. Ended up dumping the stone anyways, only the HARD way, and about 100 feet away from where it could have really been utilized for a good reason. What a shame, had to spread it all on the freshly graded field that I just got done seeding a couple months prior.That's the difference between experience and overconfidence I guess, it'll get the best of us eventually.The kid still had his job after demo'ing the Mack, too. Hard to find help around here evidently.:Banghead Looking back on this whole project, I saved my buddy and his wife approximately $22,000.00 by doing things the way I did them. They had a tight budget, so we had to be creative, 'cause it was their own house, not a spec house this time. Had we had more money to play with, I could have gone a completely different route with the driveway, but that would have gotten a bit costly. I also did little, subtle things to enhance the job, like the rebar in the joint restraints in the leach line. I used flow regulators in the D-box also. The engineer and the county health inspector commended me for the small additions above what the plans called for. That meant a LOT to me personally, and thought I'd pass that on ...sometimes for a small,minimal investment, it can pay big dividends. Thanks for looking.:thumbsup
That's a hell of a story and a hard job. Sounds like you got r' dun:thumbsup My best jobs are the one's that at the start I say to myself "self, how hell am I going to get this one done" and in the end the most rewarding.
Lowboy, what road is that house on?
Sounds like something we have around here trying to deal with steep conditions. Some of the slopes we have had excavators on are on the verge of rolling. Not fun especially when the excavator starts to slide like a tobogan. With dump trucks if the road is too steep then we take a long cable hook it to the front or back and drag the truck to where is needs to be. Some roads you have one shot to make it in one pass usually backing down. If the road is bad enough usually tell the home owner is going to need a 4x4 backhoe to move the material where it needs to be. I don't have any pictures of the jobs that have been done around here but they can be tough. To get material to part of a site it could be dumped at one place then a excavator takes a scoop walks as far as it can dumps it then walk the machine down the bank and reach up and move the material down to another spot. For roads into sites usually 16 hours of blasting is required to cut a grade into the rock thats expensive usually adds a extra 4 grand to the driveway job. Lots of fun but that all adds to the excitement of the excavation business :yup
That's exactly how I approach it too, jmac. But the end result is the reward.
It's on NY rte. 7 in Hoosick, N.Y.
Thats what I thought. I wasn't sure of the town, but I was fairly sure it was rte. 7. I recognized the white building across the road in your last picture.
Just last week I had to pull tri axle into site with 22 tons of #2 in it with dozer. Into site from road and then pull him back out. All this so the stone was as close to my work as possible. Building an access road to much money and owner won't go for it and I don't want to pay for it so it is cheaper for me to do it this way. When I was pulling truck in the driver of truck caught up to me and ran into the back of my dozer. No damage to my dozer but I didn't want to bend his spreader lip on the back of his truck, honking horn till he let up.
A Blast from the Past. View attachment 2741 My 1981 Freightliner, and 24 foot dumptrailer,loading peat (decomposed vegatation,) from a bog in northeastern Ct. in 1986. Sitting on oak "mats",( 8" X 8" timbers tied together, about 12' wide X 4' long.) A nice older gentleman, Mr. McCarthy, 72 yrs. of age, and his 16 yr. old son wink2 ) were working together on their excellent running Koehring dragline crane. Mr. McCarthy was so proficient with his dragline that he would clean off the sideboards of any clumps of peat or debris, without ever scratching the wood with that dragline bucket. He was at the top of his game. We hauled the material 5 miles to a facility that was just built to dehydrate the peat and mix it with other ingredients to make compost, potting soils, etc. to be sold to WalMart, K-Mart, Home Depot, etc. The facility was basically a 300 ft. long greenhouse with a belt or track in the floor, that carried the mixture of ingredients from start to finish line. It took 18 days for the trip from one end to the other, where it was bagged and palletized for shipping.
I had the same sort of thing happen when a modular got delivered. There were four drivers and one of them called us six times trying to find the place. Just from talking with him then, I called it and said "he will be the only one to get stuck" Sure enough he was the only one. He got stuck on the end of the driveway, the only spot with any stone. So I get behind him with the dozer and tell him to just let me push him nice and easy. No sooner do I make contact with the truck and he starts trying to rock it. Did I stop pushing? Nope, I just drove and hit him and he would try rocking more and I would hit him again. He was also the only one to have a hard time backing in off the road even though he drove the only cabover.
Yeah, especially for the past month with all this stinkin' rain we've had. This job I did with those pictures, it rained hard during that week as well. Couldn't get my stone where I wanted it either. Had to travel back & forth to stone the ditches. While we were putting the pipe in, it downpoured so bad, the 2 guys in the ditch were really bumming. I was trying to sympathize with them, showing them my one wet shoe, sticking outside the windshield frame by the pedals in the excavator, but they didn't seem to have any mercy on me with my wet boot.:crying The thing is, I didn't really HAVE to get it wet to begin with...I was trying to fit in, that's all...Geez, between the FM radio not coming in clearly as I'd like, and having the windows open for visability, I thought I was really suffering!:thumbsup
LOL I like lowboy, but I wouldn't stick my foot out the window. In the summer I like to crank the AC and put a sweater on just to mess with the labors. Here are some of my threads with pics here more more more last ones
Old Iron. Dozerboy, those are some really cool pictures of the older style Cats. We really don't have stuff that vintage around the New England area anymore. Although, there is a guy 30 miles away from me who has that identical D-9 with a single ripper, affectionately nicknamed "The Big Dikk,:wink2 that builds massive ponds for the seudo-rich people in the well-to-do regions of New England. They got it stuck once years ago, and had to have an X-military tank retriever come unstick it from the quagmire it was in. As for the deal with you cranking the a/c and wearing a sweater in the machine, I used to rag on the guys a little too, it'd be 95 degrees, working in the direct sun, and I'd have the a/c blasting in my face, wearing a wool hat, making believe I was shivering...I've had shovels thrown at me and everything else...Oh well, you want a/c...? learn to run an excavator, what can I tell you...:thumbsup
This rain has been horrible usually for us if the site gets too muddy the work stops till the rain stops. If more damage is being done than its worth then we stop because the homeowner isn't going to want to pay for repairing the damage.
now now its not nice to mess with the shovle leaners when its hot outside
Um are you legal hauling that dozer? as in weight? Looks like about 18-20 K lbs + the truck. Not trying to be a weight cop just looking at options for hauling Thanks
It was a John Deere 450 (16,000-16,800) I can haul 16,000 legally in my truck with that box because that box is on the heavy side.
But do you actually get enough weight on the front axle? I assume your truck weighs in at about 17,000 + 16K capasity = 33K lbs lic weight. But I have been told "dealer" that most of the weight remains on the rear axle and then your over. I had one dealer tell me I could only get about 9-10K because little to no weight would go up front, Stupid me I should have asked you guys, anyways I need to haul some equipment around the 11K mark so I gave up on the single axle truck idea even though I still want one, I would love to see a scale slip with that dozer on there, if It can be done legally then I would buy a truck exactly like yours... maybe a different color I would really like to make it work I just have too many scales around here to be over weight and I don't want to haul a trailer around. Thanks
I will swing buy the trnsfer yard next time I have a machine on and wiegh each axle. On my truck the rear axle is all the way to the rear not much overhang I feel when I pull a heavy box up on the truck the front does take a load.
Here are a few pics of my machines:usa The D6R is about a month old, the 325D is 6 months old, the loader and roller are about 3 years old and the artic is our "old grey beard". Still runs like a top though. We just leased a new 725 arctic - don't have any pics yet. Cheers :drinkup
Nice equipment!:thumbsup
More pics from today. The pull pans are subcontractors and boy can they move some yardage in the right conditions. The last one is my lovely wife.:notworthy
Does your wife know your posting a picture of her on here And by the way she is cute :naughty Do those things pulled by the tractors haul more material than a 6x6 ?
Great Pics CM1995! I'm a business student right now with the intentions of starting my own firm in a few years, and I was wondering how long have you had your own company and how you got the funds and connections to start? Sorry, I'm curious, and seeing a great fleet like yours makes me jealous!:notworthy
LT 9000- Yeah my wife knows - who do think helped me resize and post the pictures The pull pans behind the tractors are approx. 17 CY heaped. Pulling 2 pans you can move 34 CY per pass. Our artics can haul about 16CY, but the kicker is these pans can complete a cycle in this situation in about 10 mins. That is loading, dumping, spreading the fill and compaction. We can obtain 95% or better density without a compactor. With 2 tractors pulling 4 pans you can move 68 CY per cycle. We can't touch this type of production with a hoe and 2 trucks. Our hoe and trucks are moving brush and topsoil ahead of the pans. We do have to use dozers for pre-ripping in some of the harder material. This type of set-up is not for every site. You need good material without much rock. This site is sandy-clay material that is a dream to grade. There is some harder weathered sandstone but it rips without much effort and disentigrates. These tractors are cheaper to buy and operate that traditional scrapers and you don't need a dozer to push. We should have 4 tractors and 8 pans working next week. I will post more pics.
I am relatively young in this business, I am 34. I have been in construction my whole life. My father was a homebuilder - he is now semi-retired and loving it:drinkup . I graduated from Auburn University in '95 and with help from my father started a homebuilding business. But my first love has always been yella' iron and moving dirt, although I never had an opportunity to run the heavy iron. I used my resources in the homebuilding business to grow my little company with alot of hardwork and a little luck, to the point where I developed my first piece of property in '01. I hired a turn-key GC for the infrastructure and watched the project on a daily basis. After the infrastucture part of the project was compeleted and we started building, I had some problems that I thought was the responsiblity of the sitework GC. Every time I brought up an issue there was a clause in the contract that said it was not their responsibility.:Banghead I realized that I was paying their equipment payments, labor, OH and profit yet I was still responsible for the finished project. It was probably the best thing that could happen. If they could do it and make a living, I thought I could do the same and save some $$$$. So I bought a piece of property that had many issues, bought a hoe and a dozer and suddenly I was in the site work business. My intentions were to develop this property and build all the units but I realized I couldn't do both efficiently. Therefore I decided to jump both boots into land development and sold this project to another builder last November.:scool I feel very fortunate that I always had a dream of running yella' iron and now I am doing it. It has been a tough road at times but "if it was easy everybody would be doing it". Over the years I have developed a lot of relationships with bankers, builders and real estate professionals. All of my projects are "in-house" meaning we don't usually do work for other people - we develop our own property and sell the lots to other builders/investors. I finance most of my equipment through Cat Financial and they are pretty good to deal with. My goal in the next few years is to pay off as much of my equip. as possible. I budget what I would be paying a contractor and use the $$$ to pay equip. payments, labor, fuel, ect. Well enough talk about myself.
Thanks CM1995! I enjoy learning how others got a hold of their dream in the excavation and sitework industry! Good luck on your current job and keep the pics coming! The most I get to see of any equipment is an occasional backhoe or excavator doing repair work on utility lines. I miss the smell of fresh dirt!
So which one of ya is taking credit for the sideways picture? :bouncegri You got some nice lookin equipment. Tell um CM1995, that kinda dirt is about all we got down here in the South. Makes for real easy digging. :yup
It's not all easy digging over here in B'ham. Actually we just finished a job in chert. This stuff is so nasty you wear a set of hoe teeth out in 2 days and dozer pads in 300 hours.:Banghead So this current job is heaven. Do yall have any of this over in GA?
We have our bad spots but for the most part, where I live, you have to dig deep for the rocks. We have a little sandstone but most everything else is just plain-old-easy-diggin' clay. We have many different assortments of clay though. The most famous is Georgia Red Clay. Nasty stuff when you add water but it compacts very well. Then you have white clay, gray clay and sandy clay. Now there are some differences around GA but as far as Middle GA goes, its pretty easy digging.
Now I am jealous if you guys get to work most of the time easy diggin' in clay. Every job we do we have to spend some time digging test holes over the whole site. Soil conditions can change across a small 10 acre site. You can find limestone, chert, solid rock, slate, clay of all types and gumbo muck. On that chert job we were spending about $3k a month in teeth and cutting edges for 2 hoe's and 2 small dozers. I am not kidding about wearing the pads out on a D6N in 300 hours.
Here is our new artic - won't ever look this good again.
so shinny
Man, I don't know how you are affording all of that new yella iron. We do the same type of work and we have mainly old iron with some newer stuff. The only difference is that we aren't in the real estate part of it. Also, our working year is only 8-9 months.
I have found that running newer equipment is cheaper than running old for our situation. When you count down time and repair costs its almost a wash. Plus the bonus depreciation has helped at tax time. I use rent to own and tax leases as well. One piece of equipment was cheaper to lease it for 2 years and pay the residual than writing a check for it. You can write 100% of the lease payments off as an expense and at the end decide if you want to buy it. The main difference is that we have a 12 month working season. The only issue we deal with weather wise is rain. I couldn't do it if we had to make enough to pay the note on 8 or 9 months of work a year. Yella iron with payments sitting around does nobody good except the bank. ointhead
Yeah, we got the gumbo muck to in some places. There is some soil diversity across the state but for the most part, in a particular area, what ya see is what ya get. Like I said, around here we mostly got red clay, yellow clay and a little sand stone but you have to dig deep for the hard stuff. Good lookin truck :thumbsup . Do yall put liners in the beds?
Yeah, I see what you are saying. As far as repairs, we do all of our own repairs. Motor rebuilds, TC, finals, transmissions...you name it, we do it. Here are some pics of a Cat 3508 motor out of a 777 haul truck that we were in the process of rebuilding for a local coal company before they ran out of money. BTW.....that is the same motor that is in a D11.
I don't know alot about liners - never used them. Anybody have any experience using them?
That is a big ol' motor. Since they ran out of $$$, are y'all the proud owners of a 3508? I have always enjoyed tinkering with mechanic work. How big is your shop? What kind of mechanic tools/equipment do you guys have? I would like to build a shop this year - hopefully. It's raining hard today - not much going on except :drinkup .
Well, took everything back except the block, heads and TC. We had $8,000 worth of machine work done to the motor. We gave them a bill last week. We told them when we get paid, they will get the rest of the motor back. Our shop is a 40x80 pole barn with a 18ft ceiling and a 14ft door. Heat, bathroom and concrete floor. We have all kinds of tools and not enough room. We have up to a 1.5" impact gun. Don't have enough air to run it though, lol. Hey, how do you like your D6N? When we get more work lined up, we are looking at a possibly buying a D5M or N. I am kinda leary on the FTC though. I heard that they are very jerky. What do you think about them ? Jason
I hear ya' on holding the motor! What size air comp. are you using? As far as the D6N- D5N (M's) they are good tractors. The D6N has plenty of power for hogging topsoil, cuts, etc. and it has pretty good balance for finish work. I guess as always it depends on what you want to do with it. I hung a ripper on it and the "little" tractor does a pretty good job with it. A buddy of mine has a D5N with FTC and our D6N is differential. The differential steering is much better. The FTC is jerky and takes a little time to learn it as compared to diff steer. Of all the types of Cat steering hystat, diff, FTC - I would much rather run the diff steer. Depending on what size dozer you need I would suggetst a D6N-M or a D5G. I have a D5G and it will do pretty much everything a D5N-M will do and the operational costs are less - it's a fuel sipper. Plus the purchase price is lower for a D5G. But if you need a heavier dozer for clearing grubbing, stripping topsoil and moderate cut/fill, then I would go with the D6N Hope this helps.
Big Toys for Big Boys
Nice Where at in TX are you?
Just hauled in the "new to me" JD 644 loader and an oldie dumptruck last night. It needs some glass due to the common glass breakage fetishes we have going on around my area. :beatsme I fixed two easy hydraulic leaks on the JD loader tonight and my glass man comes to make templates tomorrow. Very good running tractor. I drove the dump truck into the torture chamber today to get started on a quick paintjob and a front windshield that was knocked out.
If I was in your area Serv, I would look at getting into the glass business. You plan on keeping that Deere or are you gonna fix it up and sell it? My granddad bought one of them Chevy C70s brand new and it treated him well. He used it for what it was made for and recognised its limits. He wouldn't overload it even if it meant multiple trips. My uncle now has the truck and it still runs like a top with everything (engine, transmission, axles, etc.) still original.
here a few pics of my little fleet :usa
Some shots of myself on kit over the years! Hi All, Heres some photos of myself at the controls of various excavators here in England over the years. I hope these are of interest to you all:notworthy
Some shots of myself on kit over the years! And some more!!
heres a few http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73899&stc=1&d=1172297011 http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73903&stc=1&d=1172297485 http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73900&stc=1&d=1172297136 http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73904&stc=1&d=1172297855 http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73901&stc=1&d=1172297250
:lmao I plan to keep it for a while. I'm rounding up a better set of tires as I type this. ointhead The guy that sold me the deere loader offered me the dumptruck. He said he used to drive it and showed me a receipt for a 1900.00 engine rebuild. He said they freshened it up and parked it. It started, runs and drives well. I gave him 1500.00 for it which is what he asked for to begin with. I need to move some all weather material about a mile so I'll start by using this truck once I've gone through it.