I've been stewing over this for a couple of weeks: Here's the deal; the actual numbers are not important its a matter of which new and which secondhand. The budget is $100K. I need a 3 tonne mini Ex and a small dump truck to carry the mini mainly and tow the tools trailer. The truck will not work hard as a "Dump Truck" but it will also be my run-around, quoting vehicle and general utility. The mini will not work hard as an "excavator" because most of the time it will be laying blocks. Both machines should last me for 10 years plus just on hours/miles alone. So to the dilemma. Cost of both items new totals more than my budget. I can afford to get one new and one reasonable secondhand. I was leaning towards the new truck and trying to find a low hour mini but now I'm going the other way. I have never been one for buying crappy machinery but its how I got started. Presentation is important to me. So what is it to be??? a new mini-Ex or a new Truck???...or maybe both 2nd hand?? I'm open to opinions and suggestions.
I said new truck and used mini but I can't remember what your fleet is squizz, can you update me?
I would probablu go new mini and second hand truck. Reason being you would probably work the machine more than the truck. the truck will tow and primarely just site except when you may use it to esimate jobs? I think in the long run the mini will produce more $$ for you. but i could be wrong. if you get both second had nothing wrong with that you will save on payments and if you find a good deal on some used non beat on stuff you can make just as much$$ but not have the payment headakes. But if your primarely into doing retaing wall i would go new mini and seconhand tow vehicle.
I have the Cat 248B skid, only about 6 months old. I work with two other contractors and we have basically shared resources and work to get off the ground. We will still work together just I'm going doing walls full time and will work more on my own. My soon to be Ex-partner has the KX 161-3 and older Mitsubishi 9 tonne single axle. The other guy has a little dump truck and a 301.8C. We were all going down the big LLC (Company) route and then my partner got cold feet. The phone is ringing and I'm not waiting around for him to make up his mind. Its time...if you know what I mean.
oh ic now...I thought you had the cat mini and the kubota....well in this case I would have to say get the new mini and a good used truck...since the mini will be making you the most $$$
With mini excavators in the 3 ton range I would have to say go new if your making money with it. I found most mini's in that size used are beat the snot out of. If you can find a good low hour used mini that you like then you could go for that too. The only time I would suggest a new truck is if its your main money maker.
I'd say get a used truck and excavator. I'm not talking junk, but late model, low miles/hours equipment that someone else has already taken the depriciation hit on. Then hang on to the rest of your cash/credit line for other things that you will surely need.
You guys have to remember Squizzy doesn't have the selection to pick from like we have in Canada or the States. To find the excavator he wants would pretty much have to be new.
Yep, exactly, I have found 2 suitable used mini's, both on the East Coast 2500 miles away . For new mini's I have narrowed it to Hitachi and Yanmar.
Maybe you should start by looking for both of them used. At some point you will find a good deal on one or the other and the decision will be made. Or you'll get so frustrated after looking at all the overpriced used equipment that you'll take option 4. If you do take option 4, make sure to get paid before unloading the goods to avoid those late payments.:wink2
I have been thinking about selling my 334 when I buy the new 442. Shipping could be arranged (my dad is Australian) I have dual Canada, Australia citizenship. 2005 Bobcat 334 1600 Hrs. 16†bucket, 36†cleanup bucket, ripper and clearing rake Hydraulic thumb. The rubber tracks are original and will need to be replaced in 100 Hrs. It has cab and heat but no A/C.
I voted new machine/used truck. The machine is going to make the money and you've said the truck is for casual use. That's the only way to go if you ask me.
New machine, used truck, but then again, I'm just a neophyte in this biz. Just check out my latest raping post on lawnsite, apparently I know absolutely nothing according to some folks. My old man overextended the hell out himself, tried to buy a new house and new equipment in the same month and carry them both through the winter while trying to sell a piece of property to cover his house. Without a $700,000 house payment, or the piece of property he's trying to sell, he'd be able to keep our 312 and 277, but I learned a good lesson in the last couple days. Just buy what you can afford and work with it. We shoulda bought a used 12 ton machine to start with, I made that fairly clear, but whatever, I learned a hard lesson secondhand. Hell, the 312 took a dump today and blew the thumb couplers off, that was great fun, even the new stuff doesn't work correctly sometimes. Took a few gallons of fluid to the face and shirt. Just another day in the biz.
I voted for new machine/used truck too.:yup I don't want to high-jack Squizzy's thread, and don't know the details pertaining to the other stuff you mentioned, but do your best too not let it get too you. It seems that kinda stuff goes on at most places(forums), and often good people are the casualties of it. (rarely if ever here though!!):thumbsup Being in business is very hard, and often times the difference between surviving, and going under is a fine line. I've no problem defending anyone who puts out their best effort, and takes some risks, whether they make it or not. We're all gambling when being in business, to a certain degree, and until someone can truly read the future, we'll always be. We learn through experience, and if possible, adjust when necessary. Squizzy, what is the truck market like in Australia? Is it flooded like ours? What are the dominate brands their?I don't think it would change my opinion about new excavator/used dumptruck, but am curious. Also, are you going to haul the excavator on a trailer? I remember a picture you posted some time ago with the equipment on the bed of the truck instead. Is a trailer also in the works then?
Its hard to suggest a truck for Squizzy I don't think they have F-450 or F-550 trucks there. So he is probably going to look at the Isuzu COE or another brand us North Americans don't know about :yup
Jeff & Ford: The used dump market sucks because anybody worth their salt that has a half decent truck is working their backside off. Nothing past an F250 on the market here until you get to double axle (LT9000 size). The small Ford trucks are just re-badged Mazda. Our best small trucks for economy parts and service are Isuzu, Mitsubishi & Hino although Nissan UD are around. ang on...Mrs Squizz is yellin for tucker time...I'm off...chicken drumsticks:bouncegri
seems like you don't have much of a good choice in either, preowned. :beatsme
You nailed it. The problem is finding a small dump with a 12' body. Most of them are 8' or 9'. No problems in a flat bed but then I can't move the materials I use for wall building. Also the skid is 11' long and we need to be able to move that around. A trailer is going behind with all the hardscaping gear so putting a machine on the trailer is not really an option...plus the fact I wont have the towing capacity with a 4 tonne truck (about 8,800 lbs) most of them are only rated and legal here for 7,500 lbs. My best bet for a truck is picking up an Ex-council (city) truck. Thanks for the feedback..it helps.
Keep searching and wait for something to come up just make sure you have some cash on hand so you don't loose the truck to another person. Probably get a excavator first if you don't have a machine to do the digging a person could always rent a truck or borrow one etc untill you find something.
Thank you all for your input. The poll result went the way I thought it might:crying ..no shiny new truck. I appreciate the input. This deal will square up the business equity with my partner and I'm on my way. Now the deal is down to searching the hell out of the used truck market...and choosing between Hitachi & Yanmar...surprisingly similar machines (both have Yanmar engines too). The 2.7 tonne machines have identical pricing but I can get the Yanmar 3.5 tonne (thats about 8000 lbs when its ready to go) with Steel tracks and rubber pads for less than the 3.0 tonne Hitachi on rubber only. No major performance differences between the machines really, the Yanmar has Hyd hitch standard and the Hitachi has Auto Idle standard thats about it. Both dealers have a national network but nothing much outside the Capital cities...not that will affect me much.
Oh and thanks to Orchard Ex and Wolf....no seriously...I did think about it but the price of potatoes has gone through the roof
I myself prefer the mostly corn variety, aged in charred white oak more than the potato style. But for profit, sugar is the ingredient of choice - or so I am told. Story is that my family had some experience with that "back in the day"... I do hope that you can find a good truck and mini though.:thumbsup :drinkup
I think a guy by the name of Jack has that market cornered. Ahhh Hah! So Orchard Ex is a speudon...seudon..sueydonom s...another name for Steve Earl....Did you really live on Copperhead Road? Hey!...I think I just Hi-jacked my own thread :spaz
And instead of a " Big black Dodge, bought from an auction at the Masons Lodge" it's now a "New Pete of blue, with the wheezy engine brake too!!" Do those engine brakes really sound like ten squeaky dog toys stuck between the duels? Squeak, squeak..........That's the impression I'm getting....squeak, squeak, squeak:bouncegri (oh, that'll get Korey fired up!! :yup ) We just fixed that!
Nah, It sounds like the valve let go on the primary air tank... At least I guess that's the PAC Brake? Could be the burritos and homebrew...
How about a new 303 or 304 and a F-450 or F-550? You should be right around $100K.
Hey Jaz, The F450 F550 are not available downunder except by special import from Canada. I went with the Isuzu posted in another thread and just signed up for the Yanmar Vio27 mini.