Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment purchasing issues

maquinariawiebe ยท 2011-01-20 18:17

this past year I have bought some equipment that was wrongfully described when we bought it. For instance, saying that there is a grounding issue in the harnesses and turns out we needed a new ECU. On the same machine, the engine block was cracked. Hiding everything as "as-is'. Before the purchase, it was garuntied to be only a small issue. what would you reccomend in my situation?

Replies6
  1. #1barklee2011-01-20 22:03

    Been there before!!! Was it an auction, or private sale? If it was an auction you are pretty much out of luck. Being it was at auction i would call the salesman that organized the auction and complain of a false description. If it was a private sale you could ask for your money back (not that that would have any effect). If you bought it from a dealer i would try to reason with them if at all possible about your situation. If they wont listen to reason i would turn them into the better buisness bureau or whatever organization i could think of! That would go with any of these scenarios. I just wouldnt walk away and i would let the powers that be know you will not walk away without a fight.

  2. #2maquinariawiebe2011-01-21 12:06

    Well, there have been a couple of different situations. We bought Train Car Mover from this guy, we did it for a favor for a large company that buys corn and sells it down south in Mexico. It wasn't even our money! They made the deposit. Nearly $90,000 USD! Another place was where we bought some parts worth about $9000 USD. But the resale price was worth around $25000 USD. We were a 2 days late on the removal deadline. They just dissappeared. This case was more understandable, but I mean come on! Honesty goes a long way

  3. #3barklee2011-01-21 22:43

    Now days you have to proceed with extreme caution! There are alot of crooks out there expecially with the internet dominating equipment sales and advertising

  4. #4maquinariawiebe2011-01-22 12:30

    As long as one learns from there mistakes. Being carefull when purchasing, look at all the little details.

  5. #5Lee-online2011-01-22 15:49

    As a dealer we take all kinds of trades and if it is decent we fix it up a little and sell it, if on the other hand it is a basket case and has major expensive problems and its not worth the investment to fix it, it goes to the auction and hopefully out of our territory. We have repaired customers equipment just good enough to get it operable so they could take it to auction. Be careful of what you buy at auction.

  6. #6Randy882011-01-24 00:29

    As they say buyer beware, I've heard of a lot of scams going around and none are very good for the buyer, I'd put a lot of extra effort into a prebuy inspection and get names and numbers ahead of time along with signaturers and any kind of warrenty you can. Do your homework ahead of time. The reason why its at auction is usually found out once its at your house so pay enough less to help cover any hidden costs later on or else buy local and pay a little more and hopefully get some service and history behind the machine and where it came from. If its cheap or under the money or out of place for some reason or another or a really good deal then there's probably something you missed and others didn't. I"ve always wondered that every time I end up the top and final bidder on any sale, but knock on wood I've had excellent luck on the stuff I've bought over the years but I've never bought anything over the net sight unseen either, I always do prebuy inspections and spend some money on them ahead of time to figure out whats wrong with the machine thats being sold.