Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Equipment selection question

Cese5 ยท 2013-08-06 09:44

So I have a few projects going on, here's the background: I'm thinning out about 4 acres, doing some drainage and leveling requiring about 8 yards of topsoil all over the property and re-graveling a driveway w/ an estimated 20 yards of gravel. The thinning is the removal of sixty or so trees and stumps. Most of then are holly (which I didn't know was a tree) and the rest a variety of hardwood, none bigger than 12" in diameter and in VERY sandy conditions (I've pulled some of the 5-6" out with my truck after axing a major root or two). Seriously, the deepest tap root I've come across is two feet. It is a moderately heavily wooded area on a 10-15 degree slope so mobility is certainly a consideration. So..given the situation I was thinking one of two equipment rental options and musing about a third: 1) A mid sized backhoe, maybe a Cat 416 or 420, 4WD to take care of the distribution/leveling of topsoil and gravel and pull the stumps (please don't get off on a dozer or excavator rant, trust me, it's not that kind of job). 2) A skid steer with 4 in 1 and a stump grinder attachment and grind instead of pull. Greater mobility for sure but a lot more trips across the property and up and down the drive... 3) I've never operated a mini backhoe, I'm wondering if that might not be an option of if they are strictly light digging. Thoughts/advice?

Replies6
  1. #1Delmer2013-08-06 11:33

    I'm just glad you didn't say you wanted to get into a decades long saga involving a cheap old backhoe... In general if you're renting it, get the biggest machine you can fit on the property. At least get the biggest backhoe they have available, any 710's or 680's available? Personally I'd be pretty desperate to try to push over a 12" tree with my old 610, but if it's as sandy as you say, and your other option is the pickup, I guess you'll get it done. They don't say "run it like a rental" for nothing. This qualifies as abuse, but if you need to take the stumps out you want to cut the roots on at least one side, and push the tree over with the bucket up high on the trunk. You risk bending the bucket if you put too much weight on the middle, try to have the bottom edge in line with the force (or level if you can't figure out which way you're pushing) and don't push so high up that the front end comes down on the trunk. If you time to let the stumps dry, burning them out might be an option, don't know what you want to do with the land, assuming you're not building if you're considering grinding the stumps. By 3) do you mean a mini excavator or a garden tractor backhoe? mini ex's are supposed to be better at digging than backhoes? Or the dirt and gravel work could certainly be done with a mini backhoe loader, but I wouldn't think it would be cost effective to rent something like that.

  2. #2Cese52013-08-06 13:22

    Thanks...That's kind of what I figured but space is pretty tight and the stumps seriously are not that big of an issue. A 700 series I think is just too much bigger for the close quarters and the grade. I meant to refer to the compact or mini backhoe loaders...not sure what if any kind of power they have as I've never operated one. The difference in rental isn't that much (surprisingly CAT is quoting less than any of the other typical rentals)

  3. #3LT-x72013-08-06 16:53

    I think your on the right track with the backhoe to pull the stumps, but in my opinion pulling the stumps is only half the battle. The disposing of the stumps is a real pain any way you slice it. Have you ever burned stumps? I wouldn't call it easy.... What do you plan to use the property for?

  4. #4Delmer2013-08-06 18:02

    I was suggesting burning the stumps in the ground, but either way it takes a lot of time, and/or effort, and/or added fuel and a blower. If Cese5 had a compact tractor available, that would be adequate for the rest of the work, and the stumps could be removed without heavy equipment. Don't be afraid of the biggest backhoes, the difference is mostly power and weight, maybe a couple feet longer and a few inches taller.

  5. #5Cese52013-08-07 07:04

    I'm burning the stumps, we can do that here. I'll fire all the brush, then trees, then stumps...it'll burn for a couple of days. I'm just clearing out the sick, dead and junk trees, particularly ALL the holly trees to make the back acreage more kid friendly and cut down on pests. I think I've decided on a 600 series backhoe. If it's overkill for the stumps and trees it will make the driveway and backfill work go quicker. Thanks for the feedback, all.

  6. #6lumberjack2013-08-07 07:41

    Not mentioned, but a large compact track loader could also handle pushing over 12" trees and make the grading easier.