Looking at getting a new gooseneck and wondering what type of ramps work best for loading a dozer. I will be using it for other things too, but would like opinions on what is the best for loading steel tracked equipment. The pics below are what I have to choose from. The hydraulic dove tail is not allot more and has a 15 degree loading angle, can't find specs on the flip up ramps. Thanks in advance for any other suggestions.
Not sure what manufacturers would be around you, but besides the 60 ton drop necks, we have 3 tri axle air tilt deck trailers. They are not fifth wheel, but a hook eye set up. On a tandem truck you can scale a 320 cat if you position it right. I find the air tilt cuts down your ramp angle. We got the first one for loading the asphalt spreader, and it worked so well they stuck with them. They are pretty much useless in the winter too slippery.
Should have added that this would be for a 17,000# dozer. Looking at PJ, Load Trail, and Fleetneck. They are all made within 30 miles of me. Really don't want to start a towing war but I usually pull with a 1 ton dually pick up. Very short distances.
No air tilt for you then. Getting over the tipping point is the worst part. I always lower the blade as far as it will go so she doesn't slam down so hard in the deck. I find steel on steel the worst, but hardwood can be slippery in the rain. The ramps with the slats might be good for a dozer, but slippery for a hoe
Those all look like nice trailers JS300 ! They look to have a gentle loading angle for about anything . Myself would pick the trailer with the folding ramps .
Thanks. I have a 36' PJ now but it isn't a low profile and just has the 2 small ramps, gets a little sketchy loading with the steep angle and small ramps sometimes. I use it for everything and will rarely haul the dozer. I really think the low profile will help stability when hauling hay or equipment. I live within a 60 mile radius of probably 75% of trailer manufacturers in the US but there aren't many dealers in the area and companies won't sell to public anymore.
8.5 ton LOAD may be pushing your tow vehicle a tad, as you have to include the weight of the trailer which may push you well over ten ton then any extra you add into the truck. Axles for one of these are usually rated for 20k but including trailer weight, can get 24k axles but are quite a bit more expensive., the gooseneck hitch is rated as 2 5/16" ball 20K, 3" ball 30K then you have to look at what they will be mounted to. As far as steel track stay away from wood, if does not slip will gouge it to death, steel on slick steel is as worthless as a hog on ice and if you are going to load a 17,000# machine be extra careful as side slips do occur at the least opportune time and the most dangerous of occasions.
I agree with being overloaded. I have priced 12k axle trailers and they run about $1,200 more. I'm really leaning toward the fold up monster ramps. With angle iron as I will rarely be loading the dozer. Some of the tow ratings on new pickups are getting scary.
The wood covered ramps would be pretty slippery when wet/muddy. I have a 20T tag trailer with the angle iron ramps that work good for loading dozer and rubber tired machines. that would be my first choice.
I have considered a heavier trailer than I currently own, a single wheel tandem 25' gooseneck deck over. I have hauled a Case 580E on it and did NOT like it, was a bit overwhelming as to side roll for me in corners with that machine just at 14800#. As I am used to my old Allis 180D with loader, with a 3008 Bush hog behind it, my gas powered welder/generator and misc tools I had around 6 ton steady diet for a few years, beat the crap out of both trailer suspension and truck. Had I had it to do over would have bought a used M102 Freightliner sized truck(dump or flat bed) with air brakes then a 20 ton pintle tag on a six bolt pintle hitch. Much safer in consideration and designed for what I was actually doing. I suspect that would still be working on break in at this point.
I have a 25' tandem single wheel with 5' dove I use for light duty stuff. I was over loaded moving hay and had a blow out one day. I got it changed but wasn't easy. Thought about selling it but it's really handy. I really don't haul allot just in spurts, but do need to have one to move hay or equiment.
We have a load trail with hyd tail like you have pictured.. we load a d31 wet or dry without issue. As stated b careful on any side to side slope. I also have a triple axle (single wheel s
Well my phone froze up. Was saying it has triple axle single wheels with short steel ramps that have angle iron for traction. It works very well also. Overall the load trailer w hyd ramp is the best all around. I love having full width ramp. Only draw back is it's a lot heavier.
I really like the hydraulic dove because of the wide ramp like you mentioned. My concern after looking into them a little more is that the dove can only hold 4k to the middle of the ramp. This would cause me to loose 5' of length when moving hay. I was also wondering if the back end swings out in turns? Looks like 10' behind rear wheels when most have closer to 5'. I priced a fleetneck with extra wide flip over ramps yesterday and will probably go that route. 12k axle option was about $1,250 higher, not sure that I it. A friend of mine that moves his dozer several days a week did wood on the dove with flip over angle iron ramps. He then put rubber mats over the wood and really likes it. I just want to make the right choice, this trailer needs to last at least 15 years so I don't want to let a few dollars stop me from getting the right one. I may price the hydraulic dove again today. Sure a lotta options when looking at trailers these days.
I'll measure the rail on mine. I know it's longer that what it came with. The guy I bought it from had it lengthened to make a slighter angle so he could load forklifts. I haven't had an issue but I don't like the extra length. I've thought about putting it back to stock length because I'm not concerned about the angle. I know the one you pictured looked like it was xtra long as well. I was curious as to how long it was. It looked as long or longer behind the wheels than mine.
Mines like 12 from the hinge looks like originally it was 9
Thanks for checking that out. The Load Trail I priced was 9' dove as well. The PJ I have now is 36' which is nice until you have to pull into field gates and stuff. I think a 30 or 32' will work better. The 36' is fine on my dually but puts too much toung weight on my 3/4 ton. I would really like to find a used one but they are few and far between in this area.
Dozer with steel-on-steel gets me nervous ... therefore rubber mats are included in the hauling recipe. Said mats are old conveyor belting. Rear of trailer frame strongly suggested for cribbing since all weight of dozer will concentrate at the slope transition of the ramp to the deck, whereas something like a skip or a backhoe has two axles to spread the loading. ~ At the time the dozer is teetering, may I caution that the machine at this time is highly sensitized to steering input.
I used to pull a D-3 with my Dodge 4500. I had a 36' Load Max trailer with 2 -12k axles and electric over hydraulic disk brakes. I would not pull heavy without that set up. Make sure the manufacturer uses a Dexter pump in the nose of the trailer as well. I had a off brand pump fail on me one time, not a pleasant experience. A standard electric brake trailer will not "lock 'em down" if you need to stop in a hurry, electric over hydraulics will. My company distributes wood flooring throughout the southeast. I had a load of it on my first electric brake dual tandem - about 14,000 lbs. The trailer pushed me through an intersection. That's when I bought the electric over hydraulic trailer. I now own a D-5G. I'm thinking about getting a similar rig but with 15k air brake axles and pull it with a class 7 with air brakes. These hills in East TN are something else when pulling.