I'm in the position to obtain a large grave opening/closing contract. I will be digging 3x5 5ft deep graves. What I need help in choosing what size, type and brand of compact excavtors. I have looked at 1.5-3 ton Kutoba and Bobcat brands. I will be pulling the equipment with a F-250. This is also my first venture into the business and the only experiance I have operating heavy equipment is a 1978 Case backhoe.
How much room have you got between the graves? That may determine what size machine you can get away with. Will you need to take a load of boards/mats to protect the grass of the area? - if so how much will they weigh?, will they take up any room on your trailer? Are you buying new or used. Add these factors together and you will know what the max weight and overall size of machine you can have. Kubota mini's are very good machines and have a good reputution here in the UK, bobcat mini excavators are not as well known in the UK but seem to be good machines and have a good following in the US.
The room will very from grave to grave. The current diggers use a small New Holland tractor wiith a backhoe attachment. The funeral homes prefer the excavator as they damage less turf. I'm buying used (thinking of maybe leasing new???) I'll board in each time to protect the turf. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
My vote would be for a Takeuchi 125 with a QC that allows you to put bucket on reverse. Your choice on an enclosed cab or open.
mabe call cat rental and see if you can get a good deal on a used one
I've talked with someone in the business. They thought that a mini ex would be just the ticket, but went back to the mini backhoe because of the ability to move the spoil away from the grave site and load a truck. Around here they use JD 110 and Kubota L39/45 size machines. Respectful curiosity - Is this a pet cemetery? 3x5 sounds too short for people.
A tracked machine will be more suitable for quick and easy positioning especially in tight spots due to their ability to turn within themselves. You may be able to get a good deal on a new machine considering the current economic climate - there were manufacturers offering 0% finance here in the UK. How much weight will the boards take up of your total payload? - this will tell you the maximum weight of vehicle and help the guys on here recommend the best machine in that size category.
Suggest you look at a Takeuchi TB016, weighs 1.6 Tonnes. I've seen a Takeuchi spec sheet for a TB016 fitted with a extending dipper, Takeuchi don't sell them in the UK, are they available in the U.S.? This spec would give you the reach without the machine weight. To overcome the problem of the curved profile of the grave end (furthest from the excavator) machines here used to be equipped with a 'square hole bucket' which was profiled so that the operator could dig a 'square ends' to the grave. If you contact bucket manufacturers locally they may be able to help. As regards soil removal, depending on your vehicle weight regulations you might look at a 1 tonne capacity 4WD site dumper, (40ins wide, Yanmar diesel,artic steer, weighs about 1.25 tonnes) provide you can carry it with the excavator it might solve your problem. Look at www.Wacker.com OR www.thwaitesdumpers.co.uk - I know that the Wacker are sold in the U.S. I'm not sureabout Thwaites. I realise that site dumpers are rare in the U.S. but have a look! Regards
You're basically just up the road from me. I've had several backhoes and operated several large excavators and owned 2 previous compact excavators before I bought the one I have now. I had Bobcat minis before and they just really lacked in power when compared to Kubota and Takeuchi machines. Although it's too big for what you need, I ended up being really happy with a Takeuchi TB145. It's about the biggest mini you can get by with towing behind a pickup. I think someone else mentioned a Tak TB125. Either that or a Kubota 121 should work nicely for you. Both machines are available all over and hold up very well. Since more people have heard of Kubota I was able to get a better deal on Takeuchi which, I slightly preferred anyway after trying both. Honestly, I'd been happy with either brand, Kubota or Takeuchi. Good luck!
Allgood Where is a good place to purchase and just look and these? I have looked in Effingham, IL and Evansville (Kubota and Bobcat) Thanks for the input!!
The local (for me) Tak dealer wanted to rape me on price. I'm not sure I am allowed to mention dealer names, but it may be the same owner as in your area and Terre Haute, IN. I'm NOT going to pay over retail for anything! I actually bought mine off of Iron Planet online auctions. There's a great small dealer in Louisville and I get my parts and supplies from him. You can look on Takeuchi's site for dealers. The same guy owns the store in Evansville, Terre Haute, and Mt. Vernon, IL. Not only were they just way out of line on the price of their equipment (all of their equipment), but they were literally twice the price on filters etc. as what I bought them for from the Louisville dealer.
Here in the UK Kubota offer a KX41-3 with a long dipper specifically designed for grave digging, as do JCB with the 8018 both machines weigh approx 1.65 tons. As mentioned earlier a square hole or grave digging bucket is ideal for this work.
I dig graves the best thing is a mini x I run a bobcat 331 with a 36 inch quick tach bucket I also have a 12 inch bucket along if i have problems. I can load dirt in to a 1 ton dumper any where around me. The other thing is I can rent a hydraulic breaker from the locale dealer if their is to much frost
When you say 1 ton dumper. Do you mean a dump bed like the ones found on a pick-up truck or the 1 ton capacity 4WD site dumper like stated above. Sorry, but I'm really new to this. Thanks
wldbil98 What is your thoughts on a mini backhoe vs a mini excavator? The ability to move the spoil away from the grave site kinda bothers me. But I REALLY like the idea of being able to move the mini X to the location with less turf damage.
I use a 1 ton 4wd truck with a 8 ft 2-3 yd tipper the 4wd works the best for getting around because you can use 4 low and get just about any where. the mini excavator works the best for me I have also used mini backhoes but won't use the big bucket that i like. I have a helper with me And I bring the x and he brings the dump and we can be IN and out within two hrs and that includes hauling the dirt away. Covering takes anothger hr but i get good money for it.
Are you getting in the $450-$500 range? Also any suggestions on type of type/brand of truck and dumper.
If you are putting down mats either a backhoe or ex won't matter for turf damage will it? Still wondering about the 3x5 size.
Size is 3 .x 8 x 5 deep
I use a crysteel landscape body with fold down sides I think its a 2yd its an 8ft bed the shorter the better to help getting around. I did use a dump insert till we got the 1 ton it Just takes more time. As far for matts I only put them down where i turn and where the machine sits durning digging then I use the matts to cover the hole till the furneral. As far as what I get your in the ball park but it verys very much around here the best way is to talk to the vaultman or other grave diggers in local cemteries
I wouldn't dare mess with Diamond Equipment everytime I've dealt with them they try and stick it to you. I would go with a Takeuchi, Kubota or Deere. The local grave digger around here uses a Kubota L39/Ton dumptruck. I've never watched or paid any attention to how he does it, but I guess you would have to sit over the top of a existing gravesite and dig over a tombstone?? I'm also curious this time of the year do you have to mat all the way in and out to prevent rutting expecially with a 1 ton truck? I've never gave it much thought when I'm at the cementry, mind is usally some where else. Does that 450-500 amount also include backfilling or is that extra?
If you worried about ruts left by the 4WD site dumper you could use a tracked dumper - these will high lift to dump into lorries/pick ups e.t.c but being on tracks will have the same movement and ground damage charcteristics as a mini ex.