Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Erskine Snowblower

Steve Frazier ยท 2003-12-16 23:18

Last season I bought an Erskine 2418 snowblower to do municipal sidewalks. It's a high flow attachment I run on my Cat 248 skid steer. It is 6' wide with a 10' truck loading chute, I blow the snow directly into tri axle dumps.

Replies18
  1. #1Steve Frazier2003-12-16 23:24

    The chute swivels and the discharge tip pivots hydraulically from inside controls. This allows precise placement of the snow.

  2. #2Steve Frazier2003-12-16 23:29

    Here's a shot loading sidewalk snow into a truck.

  3. #3Steve Frazier2003-12-16 23:30

    One more

  4. #4River Hill2003-12-17 07:04

    Steve, Those pictures are very impressive. It's nice to see that snowblower in action. I hear Bobcat is coming out with the same type of attachment for their snowblower. I wonder if they are using the same brand of snowblower and just attaching thier label to it? It looks like a fantastic setup you have.

  5. #5mert07142003-12-17 07:45

    It is toys like this that make it easier to get up in the middle of the night to go plow snow. NICE UNIT!

  6. #6lamarbur2003-12-17 08:15

    If one lived in a city or tight knit area, just think of all the second floor windows that can be filled with snow as you traverse down the sidewalks.

  7. #7Steve Frazier2003-12-17 10:28

    This same unit is available from most skid steer dealers, regardless of brand. I originally thought I would have to buy it through Bobcat, since Erskine was owned by Ingersol Rand, Bobcat's parent company, at the time. Since then Erskine has regained their independence from IR. I originally tried to order through Bobcat, but they directed me back to Cat stating the blower would arrive calibrated to a Bobcat where Cat would get it calibrated to my machine. One instance where the attachment is not readily exchanged between brands.

  8. #8Taylortractornu2003-12-17 21:16

    Whats a snow blower lol. We dont get much snow here at the first flurry a loaf of bread or gallon of milk gets hard to find in town and we only get 3 or 4 inches a year. Ice is what gets us. That is agood lookin unit its nice to see something different.

  9. #9River Hill2004-02-18 19:23

    Steve I know you researched snow blowers when you purchased yours and I was wondering why you chose the Erskine over CAT'S or others?

  10. #10GeoffD2004-02-18 21:41

    Steve how do you pick up the windrow between the walk and the blower? I take it the windrow is part curbing? Geoff

  11. #112004F5502004-02-18 22:56

    Hey Steve that is one nice rig......I was wondering how that snowfighter was doing? Anything ever break or go wrong? Hows the PSD Motor? hadn't see u at the other place in ever

  12. #12Steve Frazier2004-02-18 23:01

    Only problem I had with the 550 was a hose rubbed through and the alternator had to be replaced under warranty. What other place are you referring to?

  13. #132004F5502004-02-18 23:21

    Old plowsite.com....i just joined your snowplowing-contractors.com site... I already like it better

  14. #14doncampbell2004-02-24 18:42

    Here is a picture of my Erskine 84" rear mounted snowblower. I backed into a pole and put a kink in it. But it is still going strong. Here is a picture we took today of it taking a nice slice out of our front yard.

  15. #15JAMES.W.ONEILL2009-02-24 20:14

    I need opinions on skid steer snow blowers. I have a 2008 bobcat S330 with high flow hydraulics. What is/are the best brands of snow blowers? Well made, reliable, and bullet proof.

  16. #16Steve Frazier2009-02-24 20:20

    The Erskine I've posted about here I bought in '02. I've run it every season doing municipal work and had one minor problem with it, one of the coils for the solenoid valve that controls chute rotation burned out. I think it cost $35 to replace. Other than that, no problems, it's worked very well for me. I just hook up and go each season.

  17. #17Jaybuild2012-11-01 21:12

    How are the controls set up? What controls do you rotate the chute and change elevation with?

  18. #18Steve Frazier2012-11-07 00:17

    They supply a handheld remote switch that can be mounted to your machine control arm if you wish. It runs to a 4 pin trailer plug you mount to your boom and then plug in the blower when you hook up. There are 4 red button momentary switches that control hydraulic solenoids to rotate the boom and adjust the pitch of the end flap on the chute. I just keep it in my lap until I need to move something.