I am looking to upgrade my dump truck, I have a 85 ford F800 5 yard dump, trucks got tons of issues, and Id like somehting more reliable and cleaner. The PTO and dump bed on the ford are in pretty good shape and pretty solid. Could I buy a Cab/chasis rig and swap this bed over, Im sure it can be done but is it worth it is what im getting at. What would this cost? Ive seen different length frames on the cab/chasis rigs, do I need to look for a specific length or can this be adjusted? Basically is this worth it, the cab/chasis rigs seem cheeper, but I this is a very big job it may not be worth it? Thanks
Too much of a wheelbase difference adds a lot to the cost, and if you have dissimilar transmissions, you will need a new PTO. Other than that, it can be a good option. Another thing to consider is thAT the truck may not be well set up for on-off road, dump work.
its always much cheaper to shorten the wheelbase than it is lengthen it. i would say 3 grand would be a fair budget and should come in under that.