Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Estimating Dozer projects

Sturgill ยท 2018-05-20 14:02

Hello, I been researching on this forum on estimating dozer projects. I am an owner/operator and have a Cat D5K and a Kubota Skidsteer. My back ground is I ran heavy equipment in the 80s in Kentucky strip mining. D9L, D10, Komastu 375, Komastu 475, and Komatsu D68. Plus other equipment on the job. I went on to a factory job for 26yrs and I have since went back to what I loved to do and that was to play in the dirt. I been biding projects on how long I thought I could do it and base it on $90 an hr rate. I have seen estimating done on cubic yards to move. Much of the info I found on here is about 10 yrs old. How are you smaller guys like me bidding on projects and is there any for computer programs out there to help? I mainly have been doing clearing projects and farm roads. I have a pond to dig out next week. Thanks for any info and help!

Replies2
  1. #1epirbalex2018-05-20 17:29

    I had a nice little run dong jobs just like this , same customers every year , Not so bad putting a price on a small job , get it wrong and you loose little . My customers paid me by the hour and only ever asked "about how much " , rough guess followed by when can you be here . No body can afford to pay to do a job by losing money for too long . Your prospective customers should know and respect this . Do a good job and they will asked you back .

  2. #2Rhinovangogh2018-09-12 22:54

    We live in a depressed area (economically speaking) and a friend of mine named Backhoe Bob charges 65/hr. I do not think he makes much money after fuel and maintenance costs. He always has work though. It could depend on competition and the area you are in. I have heard other folks charge by the job too though. Good luck Sturgill, I think your best reward is "playing in the dirt" as you say. Play is never work...