I have worked on both sides of the Atlantic and got to experience both systems for changeing buckets. The North American wedge and bolt was a very good system in its day. In Europe we were probably still having to change both pins when the wedge and bolt system was being used in North America. Since the change to fully automatic quick bucket change i believe the european system is far better. It allows the bucket to be reversed and the linkage on the top of the bucket is far sturdier and less likely to be bent and damaged than the equivalent American buckets. I have made a quick video to illustrate the European quick change system and all feedback would be appreciated. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWmVZ9Egr-E
works just like my ESCO Multi-Pin Grabber her in the usa
Id heard some people talk about a pin grab when i was in Canada but i never actually seen what they where specifically talking about. All i seen was a hydraulic quick change system made to suit the wedge and bolt style of buckets
It's not really a europe vs america thing; both systems are common in the US. They both have their strong and weak points. The main disadvantage of the pin grabbers (what you're calling european) is that they increase the bucket to pin tip radius, and thus you have less power.
not if you use miller scoop buckets http://www.millergroundbreaking.com/products/buckets/the-scoop-bucket/
I actually never realised the pin grab couplers affected breakout force in the bucket. I wonder by what percentage?
Pin grabber are the most common quick coupler we see on Cat machines. We had a customer who had to special order the wedge lock type.
I don't mind the WBM hydraulic wedge quick couplers, but the two bolt system I really don't like as I find myself always having to jump out and tighten the bolts and drive the wedge in tight with a hammer. However with the pin-grabber system even though it is very durable and being able to reverse the bucket can be nice, using a tilt bucket really increases your bucket to pin tip radius and makes the front end so much heavier when you have to reach out. Much of my work dictates the use of tilt buckets so even though I like the flexibility and durability of the pin-grabber the wedge coupler is much better when you need to use a high capacity bucket or a tilt bucket. But one big technological advance that I see coming out of Europe mostly Scandinavia, and Germany is a system where the coupler incorporates the auxiliary hydraulics and any electrical connections needed with attachments, like tilt-rotators. I hope some Canadian and U.S. manufacturers start making they're own systems like this so we don't have to rely on overseas suppliers for this kind of thing. http://www.oilquick.com/Couplerfunction.htm http://www.oilquick.com/SystemOilQuick11-2.htm http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvq2zxBUrc
There's no European Standard. A lot of different systems are used in Europe. I'll list a few of them. Liebherr, SWP, Lenhoff, LEH, Verachtert and from the Nordic Standard (Scandinavia), Bofors, Volvo, SMP.
Having a break in the canary islands 2years back I saw a system where an extra long bucket pin picked up abucket with hooks very similar to a wheelloader Euro 2 Quickhitch. Too widi for narrow trenches but no loss of breakout force. I didnt see the rear of the bucket so this is only half a story.
Volvomad that sounds like a standard volvo akerman hitch, or similar, as for miller lovely design and great idea but their produce is pure utter ****e, for such reputable company they need to use better steel and welds, im sick of putting new edges and shanks in miller buckets,and they only last half as long as geith or tighr or scott, for the pricemiller are bad value for money but a good design and shape